Do these impede on any aspect of playing, or do they just add free brownie points to your Bass?

I heard someone say they can't slap and pop with bridge covers (I don't s&p but I still want to be able to).
They usually are just there for asthetics (sp?) but can serve a functional purpose. In older Fender basses a mute was put under the bridge cover. If you slap towards the bridge it would affect your playing but if you slap towards the neck it probably wouldn't. If you added a pickup cover alongside the bridge cover then that might impede your slapping towards the neck. It all depends on your playing style though.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
They usually are just there for asthetics (sp?) but can serve a functional purpose. In older Fender basses a mute was put under the bridge cover. If you slap towards the bridge it would affect your playing but if you slap towards the neck it probably wouldn't. If you added a pickup cover alongside the bridge cover then that might impede your slapping towards the neck. It all depends on your playing style though.

I play right at the neck, so would it really affect me at all?
For the conventional slap technique it wouldn't get in the way at all. However, I wouldn't put on a bridge cover as, generally, they cover the bridge pickup too which, for me, would be a CATASTROPHE!!
On the classic fenders, the bridge cover had muting foam with it as well, under the cover. That and flatwounds contributed to that classic Motown sound.

John Swift or LesPaulStudio can correct me, but I seem to remember it was used as a mute to get the original Fender basses closer to the more muted sound of an upright.
Quote by RockDJ
Hmm, looks interesting.

Your attitude is horrible, but it was a good post.

You were the one who was all like "LOL YOU'RE STUPID A LITTLE PIECE OF METAL CAN'T COVER UP ANYTHING!"

Anyways, the metal... pickup cover or whatever it's called (the one for the neck pickup) is a lot cooler looking than the bridge one, IMO.
Quote by Charlatan_001
You were the one who was all like "LOL YOU'RE STUPID A LITTLE PIECE OF METAL CAN'T COVER UP ANYTHING!"

I said that did I?

I doubt something like that would cover that much of the Bass.

What a prick I was.
Iuno, that's how I interpreted it. Maybe I'm too critical. Or douchebaggy. Or a bit of both.

Regardless, I also find that once you put one of those cover things on your bass, you automatically look like one of those people who decry any music other than the classics and jazz.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Regardless, I also find that once you put one of those cover things on your bass, you automatically look like one of those people who decry any music other than the classics and jazz.

You have a point there...
Yeah, my attitude sucks, but I have this incessant fear of being wrong, so whatever.

Anyway, I'm not sure about that classics thing. I think they look good personally. Doesn't that guy from Opeth have a Marcus Miller with the neck cover anyway? At any rate, like I said before, the only reason those aren't on my bass is it because they take over too many places I like to play over.
Back to the original question. For me yes they impede my playing because i like to pluck near the bridge for that sharp "attack" sound.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, my attitude sucks, but I have this incessant fear of being wrong, so whatever.

Don't worry about it.
i think bridge covers look cool, but limit your tonal options. i can't imagine trying to palm mute effectivly, without access to the bridge, itself. and i play over my bridge
p-up sometimes, just for the tone. btw, the bridge cover is more often called the ashtray, because thats what the bass players used it for, back in the day. as far as the muting material, under the cover, i heard it was packing material that was supposed to be removed, after shipping, they just didn't know that, at the time. lol
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
In as far as the muting material, under the cover, i heard it was packing material that was supposed to be removed, after shipping, they just didn't know that, at the time. lol

You mean the sound that made Motown was caused because someone didn't take out some packing material? Oh Rick, that is funny!
Quote by anarkee
You mean the sound that made Motown was caused because someone didn't take out some packing material? Oh Rick, that is funny!

Smaller misunderstandings have caused bigger things to happen.