Hey.

Myself and fellow guitarist use D standard tuning/One Step Down/DGCFAD.

Our bassist has a 5 string bass and says he usually plays in Std B tuning, and he doesn't wanna tune down to CDGCF as it is way too low and gives a muddy sound when playing fast. He does not want to tune up either as it's too sharp he says. Now I don't know much about the bass itself, so I would like input for possible solutions for a compromise?

Should he just shut up and tune up or down? Or is it a legit bass problem some bassists experence, and we the guitarists have to tune down lower? Because I got a floyd rose and I don't wanna change my tuning again.....
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
He doesn't need to tune down. He can stay in standard and has the range needed for your tuning. If he had a four string, it would be different.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
standard tuning sounds way better in a mix on guitar anyways, just tune standard
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
@Cliff Burton, mmmm that makes sense.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
It depends. In standard tuning he has all the range he needs plus a semi-tone, however if you need him to do those drone type basslines he'll want to drop down. Actually he would tune the B string up a semi-tone and then the rest down a tone. Out of curiosity why doesn't he try tuning the B string up to D, the E string up to G, the A string up the C, the D string up to F and the G string up to A? It may not work, but it's plausible and matches with your tuning.
Quote by spiderjerusalem
standard tuning sounds way better in a mix on guitar anyways, just tune standard

That's completely subjective. With the right EQing,the bass can cut through the mix (unless it dowtuned stupid low, which CDGCF isn't)

Why don't you guys just try tuning down half a step instead of a whole step, and get him to do the same? Although I don't see why he doesn't want to make it easier on himself when writing basslines by downtuning. It's so much easier when you visualise what the guitars are doing, and then transfer it over to the bass. When I went through my CGCGF phase, it would have been nigh impossible to play the basslines I was playing to speed if I instead played in standard.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It depends. In standard tuning he has all the range he needs plus a semi-tone, however if you need him to do those drone type basslines he'll want to drop down. Actually he would tune the B string up a semi-tone and then the rest down a tone. Out of curiosity why doesn't he try tuning the B string up to D, the E string up to G, the A string up the C, the D string up to F and the G string up to A? It may not work, but it's plausible and matches with your tuning.

I can tell him to try that, but isn't that mighty "tight" to tune 2 steps up on a bass like that?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's completely subjective. With the right EQing,the bass can cut through the mix (unless it dowtuned stupid low, which CDGCF isn't)

Why don't you guys just try tuning down half a step instead of a whole step, and get him to do the same? Although I don't see why he doesn't want to make it easier on himself when writing basslines by downtuning. It's so much easier when you visualise what the guitars are doing, and then transfer it over to the bass. When I went through my CGCGF phase, it would have been nigh impossible to play the basslines I was playing to speed if I instead played in standard.

mmmm yes, we contemplated tuning half step down to a C# tuning, might try that if he still isn't comfortable.

Or did you mean half a step overall from Std? So Eb tuning?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
O ok cool. Well I'll try all the suggestions with him this weekend.

Thx everyone =)
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
We have 3 bassists coming to Audition with one of them considered already "in the band" by some of other members because of his reputation of having played live with some decent bands in our area.

This thread is about that particular bassist.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
If you're going to play some fairly complicated riffs involving quick movements from an open string to a fretted note and back again (I don't know why, but "Slither" was the first song that came to mind), it would be much easier for him to tune up his B-string, but it's really up to him. Who knows, maybe he can come up with a cool, conflicting bassline that will fit.
Quote by Yawsbass
If you're going to play some fairly complicated riffs involving quick movements from an open string to a fretted note and back again (I don't know why, but "Slither" was the first song that came to mind), it would be much easier for him to tune up his B-string, but it's really up to him.

What you have described, good sir, is called pedaling. And, especially in metal or harder riffrock, this is a very common and useful technique. If the song in question seems to lend itself to pedaling, then tuning down will be helpful. Otherwise, the standard tuning is suggestible.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
^
Pedal bass lines are actually playing the root note of the chord, and holding it for as long as the chord is played for (Although rhythm can be altered)
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
He doesn't need to tune down. He can stay in standard and has the range needed for your tuning. If he had a four string, it would be different.

He's right i think your bassist is just complaining
Bennetts_strat
Registered confuser.

I agree with staying in standard. If there are songs that he absolutely needs an open low-D, just drop E to D for those songs.
Quote by WhyLater
What you have described, good sir, is called pedaling. And, especially in metal or harder riffrock, this is a very common and useful technique. If the song in question seems to lend itself to pedaling, then tuning down will be helpful. Otherwise, the standard tuning is suggestible.

Neat. I thought pedaling was just playing one note and having it kind of drone on and on to give some atmosphere. Or maybe that's a drone. I don't know.
Quote by Yawsbass
Neat. I thought pedaling was just playing one note and having it kind of drone on and on to give some atmosphere. Or maybe that's a drone. I don't know.

Well yeah Nutter's telling me I'm wrong. But that's what I've always heard called pedaling. And I'm pretty sure I also call what you're talking about a drone, yes.

...So, whether I'm right or not, I've got all the positions filled, so I'm just gonna keep doing it the way I do.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater

I think what you are talking about is called a "pedal tone", specifically the open note is the pedal tone. Its used a lot in thrash metal, for example the intro to Master Of Puppets.

I dont understand why everyone keeps suggesting standard tuning? If the guitars are tuned down, and stay in the one tuning, surely it makes more sense to have the bass tuned to the same? (with an extra low or high string where applicable - 5 strings etc.) Am i totally wrong in thinking this? Wont it make the bass player's life easier when coming up with parts?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

+1
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
He should be fine in standard. Tuning down would be too low and tuning up is pointless if he needs to play lower notes.
Quote by pie_man_25
+1

Quote by #1M
He should be fine in standard. Tuning down would be too low and tuning up is pointless if he needs to play lower notes.

No. Just no. I can guarantee you that there's a hell of a load of songs that have been dropped that would be very hard or near impossible to play on a standard tuned fiver.
Quote by Yawsbass

A drone is two notes, a fifth apart.

I'm kicking arse and chewing gum. And I'm all out of gum.

And arse.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No. Just no. I can guarantee you that there's a hell of a load of songs that have been dropped that would be very hard or near impossible to play on a standard tuned fiver.

Well, yeah obviously there will be some. But he should be able to play in standard for some songs and only drop if he really needs to.