Page 1 of 2
Might not be everyones type of music, but if you can just bare with the vocals etc, I would like to know how hard this is to play on bass? Because one of the bassist's we are auditioning says he can play some of this, so I just want a reference point to work with until then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvEhyxZqtCk
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It sounds more impressive than it is. The shapes look pretty simple. It's more speed that'd be an issue, but it's not too hard to get mad speed when tapping.

Exactly.
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Ah I see.

But isn't sweeping involved in addition to just tapping there?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
holy **** that looks really kickass, it seems pretty hard, i mean with the tapping, but the speed he taps at is pretty average, he should have done it faster, overall he seems really good
if this guy can do that well go for it it cant b all bad

i mean the guy u adutioned
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Black_Bassist
holy **** that looks really kickass, it seems pretty hard, i mean with the tapping, but the speed he taps at is pretty average, he should have done it faster, overall he seems really good

Any faster and it would've ruined the song.
doesn't look that impressive to me. i'd say the bassist is average or a little bit better than average.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
mmmm ok cool. Coz I was looking at a Stanley Jordan vid on youtube as well and that looked pretty freaking impressive, but not as fast as this guy (I think anyway).
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I really don't like that type of metal (grind or whatever) that's pretty much all two-handed tapping on all stringed instruments. Sure it's technically impressive, but it's almost showboaty.

Why can't kids listen to bands like Morbid Angel...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He's more than average. If his other stuff is like that, he's damn good. Even though it is easier than it sounds.

Seconded, people need to get off their high horses. I mean sure, you can say he's not so good, but in comparison to who? Jaco? Yeah, sure, but Jaco is stuff of legend. He has skill, a fair amount of it. It just so happens he's realised he can make himself look all flashy with tapping
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
not bad not bad at all but it is also not that tough if you have been playing similar stuff for a time
Pretty cool, I don't dig much grind stuff ('cept for some brutal truth and carcass) but i've always been partial to a bit of brainpile.

Beware, when people say they can 'play' something, most of the time they don't mean what i would consider to be able to play something. If someone says to me I can play 'YYZ', for example, I would assume they could play it to a degree that they could replace geddy on stage and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Playing a few riffs from the song sloppily means not you can play it.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Tarentula
not bad not bad at all but it is also not that tough if you have been playing similar stuff for a time

So are you basically saying practice makes perfect?
Aren't we all?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Seconded, people need to get off their high horses. I mean sure, you can say he's not so good, but in comparison to who? Jaco? Yeah, sure, but Jaco is stuff of legend. He has skill, a fair amount of it. It just so happens he's realised he can make himself look all flashy with tapping

But the fact is he wasn't that insane. As far as I could tell, and from what I've seen of tapping, he played a fairly decent tap line, but it wasn't anything extraordinary.
I'd say it's not as hard as it looks. I wouldn't say it's easy, but after a bit of practice it shouldn't be too hard.
The speed part is mostly done by left hand tapping, i can play like that and not saying it as like "uuuuh, thats noobie anyone can do that" but since im left handed and i play as a right handed (and do some more stuff as right handed too) its been sorta difficult for me to keep up but meh i think those 3 months of tapping practice have bloomed like a dream :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by slap-a-bass
why..would...anybody..want..to...do..that

win.
WE are Betrayers of perfection

Member of the Bass Militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Once a king of roses in a kingdom of Gold

Gear | Guitar
  • ESP F-50
  • AXL Jacknife mayhem

Amp
Randall RX120RHS 120W 4x12 Half Stack
Quote by Charlatan_001
I really don't like that type of metal (grind or whatever) that's pretty much all two-handed tapping on all stringed instruments. Sure it's technically impressive, but it's almost showboaty.

Why can't kids listen to bands like Morbid Angel...

I think its called Tech metal.... Defenatly not my style of metal.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
ok so he can play some of this song which incidentally isn't exceptionally difficult it just requires some practice to get the shapes to speed.

heres the important part, do you need someone like that in your band? or do you need someone to hold the low end? it's all very well finding good musicians but it's equally as important if not more important to find a musician that fits with your style.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
that is no easy to play so if he can play it he is good
but on the other hand that song was very boring and annoying
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
As hard as that may be, it's nowhere near as hard as this.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^ Horrifying.

It's not bad, anyone who says it is is fooling themselves. As to what degree he practiced it, that determines his skill level more than anything. If it's all he played for two years straight to get there, no, he's not "talented", he's got muscle memory. If he just heard it and tried a few times, then that's when we have true talent.

And it's not metal, it's the godawful, dimwitted incestuous love child of nu-metal and emo.

Sorry, I don't have much respect for that kind of metal.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
It looks a lot easier than it sounds, but is still impressive.
However, I wouldn't judge a bassist on his ability to tap. You can out tap "River dance", but if you can't keep good time... what's the use.
Okay, this is kind of off topic, but could someone reccomend some decent instructional tapping videos? I've been trying to do it lately, and I have had some good progress, but I just need a little guidance to help with more advanced techniques.

Just so this post isn't completely irrelevant, that doesn't seem terribly difficult, but it does seem like a bad idea to judge a bassist just by one song that they can play.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
I like Stu Hamm's - especially for two-handed.
I learned from Billy Sheehan's. His is one finger-tapping (pardon me, two fingers tapping like one).
Quote by Nutter_101
As hard as that may be, it's nowhere near as hard as this.

I'm never eating Wendy's again.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
im surprised nobody has mentioned this. Tapping is a fun, entertaining, technical skill, but if you cant hold a groove then your a pretty worthless bassist. Have him play a simple chord progression with a drummer. Then you'll know if he is a good bassist.
Page 1 of 2