So today I played a quality Bass. I've played Bass for well
about a year and a half, I've always played on my cheap Stagg
which is a pile of crap and a Squire Precision which I use
at band practise. Today though I decided it may be time to buy
a new Bass guitar.

After trolling through classified sections of my area I found a
MIM Precision Fender for around £270. The price looked very tasty
indeed, I would of brought it then and there but the better half of
me decided against it at least until I'd done some price research.

This of course lead me to a guitar shop. Since I've been playing
Bass I've been in many, many guitar shops but I've never actually asked
to play one. Well... things changed today! I asked the shop clerk to
plug in a fender MIM Precision and let me have a little 'blast' on it.

I actually couldn't believe that what I was playing was real, It was like a dream.
Its hard to explain the Euphoria i experienced well 'playing' this bass but it
has defiantly made the idea of playing bass fresh again. The best thing was
it wasn't even the best in the shop a few guitars down was a American Deluxe Jazz
Bass ( which I didn't want to ask to play as it would appear i was taking the biscuit)

This thread probably seems kind of pointless but I needed to share this feeling
that I haven't experienced in a long time. And well I guess the first steps in my
Bass journey.

To make this post a tad more relevant...

Do you think the second hand Fender Precision MIM is a good deal for £270?

Has anyone else ever had this feeling/experience when playing there first 'quality' Bass?

Also when playing this Fender would it be viable to to say they have uber fat necks?
maybe even bigger than there squire counterparts. I say this because when playing
the fender I found it rather hard to play the G string... It make be becuase my current
Stagg has a very, very slim neck who knows...
err...a...um
tbh when i played my first "high quality" bass it gave me inspiration to play more than ever. Its safe to say i woke a few neighbors the night i got it. Oh and i like the necks fender makes, you just got to get use to it.
You stole my Overture
The price may be a bit high by American standards for a used MIM, but I know that Fenders are a bit pricer across the pond. On Ebay, the usually go used at about 250USD

Yes they have thicker necks, but if you use proper technique and get that thumb where its supposed to be its not a problem. The more I play bass, the more I actually prefer those hefty substantial necks.

And yes, the first time I played my MM, I fell in instant love. Felt that way the first time I played a Ric 4003 and an Urge II as well.
Quote by anarkee
The price may be a bit high by American standards for a used MIM, but I know that Fenders are a bit pricer across the pond. On Ebay, the usually go used at about 250USD

Yes they have thicker necks, but if you use proper technique and get that thumb where its supposed to be its not a problem. The more I play bass, the more I actually prefer those hefty substantial necks.

And yes, the first time I played my MM, I fell in instant love. Felt that way the first time I played a Ric 4003 and an Urge II as well.

Where are thumbs supposed to be?

Edit:when I played my precision for the first time, it was like an orgasm for every note. The neck is preferance, really. I love the thick P-bass neck, it feels like it was made for my hands, not even joking.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Apr 7, 2008,
You should have the thumb at about the middle of the neck, so it's a pivot point- not wrapped around, so it's another fretting finger.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Fretting hand thumb should be an anchor on the neck. Nott touching the fretboard. (I am, however, a TAD guilty of this at times)

Gahh, looks like I have somthing to practice on.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
I've never really found a problem with putting the thumb near the top of the fretboard sometimes, especially when working higher on the neck. As long as it's not habitual, I don't think it's a huge problem.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Fretting hand thumb should be an anchor on the neck. Nott touching the fretboard. (I am, however, a TAD guilty of this at times)

Yes--me too . And I have profile pictures to prove it. Stupid bad guitar playing habits!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

That does sound pretty much like my hand placement. I think the fact that I was playing in a shop on this Bass, and in front of a friend gave me the nerves which could of been a main factor in my poor playing or I just suck who knows!
i love the feel in my Squier better than a MIM fender
sadly my bass is really bad setup so i have to wait until the weekend to recover his awesome playabilty
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by anarkee
Yes--me too . And I have profile pictures to prove it. Stupid bad guitar playing habits!!

That's exactly why I do it, lol. I play about as much, if not more, acoustic guitar these days and it's kind of crossed over. But I don't particularly care. I'm still happy with my playing.
The odd thing is that I went to play my son's Telecaster yesterday, and because of the thick neck I found myself doing the "anchor" the thumb on the neck technique.
I know the euphoria you speak of. When I went to try out the Jazz 24 V for the first time I played it for an hourish. I then went and tried every other bass in every other store I could find that afternoon. I came back to the Fender, played it for another hour and bought it that day. It was the most impulsive buy I ever made and I have never regretted it (much).
Quote by anarkee
The odd thing is that I went to play my son's Telecaster yesterday, and because of the thick neck I found myself doing the "anchor" the thumb on the neck technique.

hehe when ever I play my brother's guitars, I always do the anchor and he usually just "points and laughs". I am guilty of not keeping it anchored: when I get lazy and use it to mute the E string. There is some songs that I do it and not even realize it.

TS: You will get this feeling when every you play a instrument that is higher grade than yours. I only had a GSR200 then I started looking an playing basses in shops. I started with a Squire VM, moved to MIM Fenders, then I had pretty much settled on the Fender Jazz 24. BUT!! then one of my local shops got in a black on black EB MM Stingray. Yeah..... so I went home with that instead
The "no place to put your thumb" is the pure reason I'm not going to buy a P bass. If anything i will save up for the deluxe model for the Humbucker thumb rest.

TS: After also just going out and testing higher quality basses i know the feeling. My Yamaha practice bass wasn't cutting it. Just try every bass in your price range. Look at everything. Comfort, materials, pickups and most importantly the sound.
After doing this for myself i found the bass for me the Highway 1 Jazz bass.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?