Ok Ug I've been considering making a guitar from parts I will be ordering online and i need some general building/price advice. Also I Would rather buy bodies that come pre-routed and pre-finished since this is my first "Build".
first of The guitar I wanna build, also I'm on a budget so the cheaper the better.
I want to build a replica of this guitar

or this one

Ok heres were the first problem arises, i prefer the emg sa set but If i get one of the bodies I'm considering they have the routing for a standard tele control panel so there wont be any space for a battery and i Do not want to route so I'm probably going to go with the duncans, by the way what other electronics would i need if i bought the duncans? If i buy the sa's they come with full electronics right? Also feel free to recommend Bodies *must be quilted or flamed maple with alder sandwiched in between* and necks *maple on maple*. Also if you recommend a bod be specific and dont say"buy one from warmoth" please include a link to the body your referring to.
Ok as for necks maple I'm planning on buying a fender tele neck
But I would also like to see what you suggestion of neck would be.

Possible Bodies:
http://www.wdmusic.com/replacement_fender_telecaster_reg_tele_24179_prd1.htm
$350
http://www.wdmusic.com/replacement_fender_telecaster_reg_tele_24196_prd1.htm
$325

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=PT951&menuItem=2&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=0
$399

Possible Necks:

This is an ongoing thread so feel free to add comments and such. also if you see any qm or fm telebodies pre routed and finished in Dark red tint(see through) or black(see through) post them here, Id appreciate that thanks.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Last edited by edge11 at Apr 9, 2008,
Go for warmoth. Warmoth will totally custom route your body for anything, but it may take a while. they also sell necks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Reserved for updates and pics
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Right now, Guitarfetish.com is having a C_H_E_A_P sale of bodies that they got from a factory. They keep having new ones come in, usually about two at a time, and trust me, these are DIRT-cheap. For example:
$35 (!) for a finished (yes, painted red and all, pickup cavities, anything you would otherwise need to cut) bass body. They used to have a guitar body, but I hope they'll have more soon.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Right now, Guitarfetish.com is having a C_H_E_A_P sale of bodies that they got from a factory. They keep having new ones come in, usually about two at a time, and trust me, these are DIRT-cheap. For example:
$35 (!) for a finished (yes, painted red and all, pickup cavities, anything you would otherwise need to cut) bass body. They used to have a guitar body, but I hope they'll have more soon.

hum thanks for the tip i'll check guitar fetish from time to time.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by oneblackened
Go for warmoth. Warmoth will totally custom route your body for anything, but it may take a while. they also sell necks.

I dont have money for custom warmoth as it is crazy expensive and i'm trying to do this as cheaply *cost wise* as i can.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
^oh. you didn't say that, though.
but here's the thing: the laminate bodies (1/8" top) are $290 at absolute most.
Blackedit: I just checked it again, that's crazy expensive.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
^oh. you didn't say that, though.
but here's the thing: the laminate bodies (1/8" top) are $290 at absolute most.
Blackedit: I just checked it again, that's crazy expensive.

It says on the third sentence that im on a budget, if its prefinished and prerouted with qm or fm at a cheaper price than the ones i listed then please feel free to post links.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Update: I'm probably going to buy a used 100$ mim tele strip it and put a thin flame veneer on it. I remember i went to a site that had instructions fro this and it also had instructions for a poor man's flamed top which was a thin piece of poster board lacquered on a gem, any one know the site?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by LP Addict
go to a local highschool, talk to the woodshop teacher... build your guitar?

my hs doesn't have wood shop
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
What's the point of building a guitar on that tight of a budget? Isn't the point of building a guitar so it has all the stuff you want it to have? Anyways from personal experience, whatever your budget is factor in an extra 10-20% for "unforseen" costs, especially on the first build.

So this post isn't completely opinion based, i bought my tele body from warmoth, and it was excellent quality. It didn't have a flamed maple top so mine cost $170. You could have the body routed for active electronics from them and have someone in your area finish it for you. Solid red shouldn't be that tough.

Good Luck
you could just get a cheap guitar sand it down milest it a bit and then do what you want to it it still be custom
buy a body like this, they are cheaper, and fender licensed by mightymite. MM = quality. real wood, the finishwork is PERFECT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FENDER-TELE-NATURAL-QUILT-MAPLE-TOP-ASH-GUITAR-BODY_W0QQitemZ380023489744QQihZ025QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by LP Addict
buy a body like this, they are cheaper, and fender licensed by mightymite. MM = quality. real wood, the finishwork is PERFECT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FENDER-TELE-NATURAL-QUILT-MAPLE-TOP-ASH-GUITAR-BODY_W0QQitemZ380023489744QQihZ025QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've heard that fender necks don't fit mm bodies.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Don't know about MM but they fit Warmoth for sure. Check out the specs on the warmoth site, they measure the neck pockets, and then compare it to MM. If its the same it should fit. If its fender licensed it should fit, otherwise you can complain like crazy and threaten to go to the BBB, and they would pretty much have to give you your money back. That would only work if you buy direct... If you ebay it, im pretty sure any warranty would be non-transferable.
Quote by RicardoB
Don't know about MM but they fit Warmoth for sure. Check out the specs on the warmoth site, they measure the neck pockets, and then compare it to MM. If its the same it should fit. If its fender licensed it should fit, otherwise you can complain like crazy and threaten to go to the BBB, and they would pretty much have to give you your money back. That would only work if you buy direct... If you ebay it, im pretty sure any warranty would be non-transferable.

Ok I'll try.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Okay, This might be a bit obvious, but all the tele bodies mentioned are top routed. I had a quick skim though, didn't read in depth, are you going to fill them in, or just put on a control panel? I hate to say it, but you might be better making the body yourself, even if it is your first time. that way, you won't have to make any compramises to get what you want. Alternativly, you could buy a back routed tele and some veneer , i've never done veneering before (never made a guitar before!) but it looks fairly straight forward.
Quote by jimRH7
Okay, This might be a bit obvious, but all the tele bodies mentioned are top routed. I had a quick skim though, didn't read in depth, are you going to fill them in, or just put on a control panel? I hate to say it, but you might be better making the body yourself, even if it is your first time. that way, you won't have to make any compramises to get what you want. Alternativly, you could buy a back routed tele and some veneer , i've never done veneering before (never made a guitar before!) but it looks fairly straight forward.

If i bought one of the bodies on the list i'd put a control panel but it think it would be best if i bought a body and just put a small veneer on it and the just routed the holes and not just a big hole.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
You'll need to fill in the route with a block of wood or something first - A veneer wouldn't hold the knobs on. would it not look a bit tacky, with a different veneer over the old cotrol cavity and the rest of the body? If it was me i'd just buy a tele fill in the pickup and control routes and veneer the whole top at once - Your at an advantage with the tele cos it's got a flat top, I'm sure it'd turn out fine, what ever could go wrong with veneering the whole thing, veneering over just the filled in cavity i'm sure would look shabbier.