Page 1 of 2
Do you need to know theory and scales and what not to be able to compose a piece of music? I don't know much theory, but I like to just fool around and sometimes I'll come up with a cool riff or something; but I'm afraid that if I were to record it and someone hears it and says it's "all over the place" or whatever. So, is it necessary to know heaps of theory, or will knowing theory just make the process easier?
Theory will make the process easier as you will be learning what former musicians have discovered over the past 500 years. Though I strongly suggest learning the basics (ie my sig), if you don't you can still make good music.

And so what if it's all over the place? If it's good then it's good. No one will criticize you for violating the standard guidelines of theory.
You don't have to know theory to compose music, but I highly recommend you learn your theory.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Alright, thanks.

Though I strongly suggest learning the basics (ie my sig)

Thing is, I have trouble concentrating on theory reading off of my monitor. Should I just print it?
Nothing is mandatory.

Theory helps you organize and write out what you hear in your head or play on your guitar, not the other way around.

At the very least you should know enough to communicate your ideas to other musicians. Again, it's not mandatory, but it helps a whole ****load.
Theory is necessary in order to communicate with other musicians. Otherwise, you are basically "running up to them and rubbing your penis all over them" (or however that quote goes).

It's basically putting names and descriptions on devices in music. If you know these, it's a lot easier to write out/play the music you hear in your head. Rather than plunking around looking for the right notes, you can just know where they are and be able to use them without hindrance. Not to mention, you shorten the time it takes to learn improvisation by like 500% just by learning a few simple scales.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Alright, thanks.

Thing is, I have trouble concentrating on theory reading off of my monitor. Should I just print it?

Yeah, at first I thought I would just be able to read about theory and that would be enough, but I found I needed to print it out and really study the stuff before I could make sense of it. Sit with your guitar for an hour or two and play around with the ideas as they're being presented - that way it will make much more sense
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Do you need to know theory and scales and what not to be able to compose a piece of music? I don't know much theory, but I like to just fool around and sometimes I'll come up with a cool riff or something; but I'm afraid that if I were to record it and someone hears it and says it's "all over the place" or whatever. So, is it necessary to know heaps of theory, or will knowing theory just make the process easier?
To mr T/S (aka XxGibsonSGxX)

Everyone knows even a little theory. Theory is just the knowledge of what sounds good and when, except it *seems* complicated when we talk about it because we use the terminology. EVERYONE successfull knows theory, even if they didnt know the terminology, even you. Some people learn the slow way, IE with just themselves and their guitar. Some people learn the faster harder way, IE with a book/internet. The choice is yours, either way you'll write good music eventually.
Here come the idiots:
Yes. It is definately mandatory.
I'll say it before the ignorant idiots invade: Theory does not inhibit your creativity
Flanked ya
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I'll say it before the ignorant idiots invade: Theory does not inhibit your creativity
watching your back as well

And why would you say that aenimus? Your just asking for a noob flaming war. Oh well, I'm on your side.

Theory is madatory, essential and you will suck without it.
^I can't tell if you are serious or not. I at least labelled myself as an idiot.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
^I can't tell if you are serious or not. I at least labelled myself as an idiot.
I, good sir, are never serious. Believe whatever I say at your own risk. And with this, I bid MT goodnight, as I have to get up ridiculously early tomorow morning.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

IMHO, theory is so hard to digest that I would not only recommend that you print it, but sit there with your guitar and pencil and pad(or preferably some manuscript paper) and slowly work out the crazy-talk your reading.

Even then, I would recommend a teacher or at least a good book. But if you have the drive to learn from all the good free stuff on the internet...all the more kudos for you. Hope it helps.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
So who's side are you on? You said you're watching BGC's back but that you are also on my side

Oh and some 'demon' you are. It's not even midnight!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
So who's side are you on? You said you're watching BGC's back but that you are also on my side
I'm on your side cause I wanna conform and be cool too and I'm watching BGC's back cause her body is damn awesome.

heh jokes BGC
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Oh and some 'demon' you are. It's not even midnight!
Oh come on, 6:00...

I swear this is my last post tonight now...
Well, how much theory is recommended? I know the more the better, but like how many scales should one know, and should they know every position on the fretboard and what not?
I would recommend learning whats in the 'music theory' link in my sig as a good start.

And you should be comfortable all over the fretboard.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

no, its not in any way mandatory. If your making music now and it sounds good...... it sounds good. it doesnt matter what anyone says regarding its "theoretical correctness".

That being said, if you want to learn theory...... go ahead and learn it. Dont learn it out of fear, learn it out of genuine interest.
shred is gaudy music
Rules are made to be broken.

Debussy certainly didn't care about conventional rules.
Wanderlei war wagon.
Quote by Mortido
Rules are made to be broken.

Debussy certainly didn't care about conventional rules.
I'm thinking he at least knew them though. Plus, as everyone else has said, theory is not a set of rules, more a set of explanations.

No, TS, studying theory is not "mandatory" and no theory police is going to come to your house and repossess your guitar. But assuming you don't have some godly gift, it will help you find in minutes, less even, what would take you significantly longer to find otherwise.
I'm positive there was an argument about this just yesterday or so, no?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I'm positive there was an argument about this just yesterday or so, no?
You could say that every day within a year of today (4/8/07-4/8/09) and still be correct.

I posted in here already, but I will say this:
While learning theory is very helpful, it is not necessary to write good music. However, do not let that justify your laziness and unwillingness to learn; you are not more "cool" nor "kool" nor "kvlt" nor "punk" nor "badass" if you don't learn theory.
^Just pretend you're a goldfish and MT becomes a really interesting place with new and exciting discussions
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

I'm bored of these threads -_-

We always say the same things over and over again. These are getting more annoying than Modes threads ever were.
Quote by CowboyUp

We always say the same things over and over again. These are getting more annoying than Modes threads ever were.
Now I wouldn't go that far...
Quote by CowboyUp

More annoying, yes. More consistently entertaining? Absolutely not.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
However, do not let that justify your laziness and unwillingness to learn; you are not more "cool" nor "kool" nor "kvlt" nor "punk" nor "badass" if you don't learn theory.

LOL

can't ya just make a point without this kind of crap.

Quote by bangoodcharlote

While learning theory is very helpful, it is not necessary to write good music

+1 thats all that needs to be said. TS's question answered [/thread]
shred is gaudy music
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You could say that every day within a year of today (4/8/07-4/8/09) and still be correct.

I posted in here already, but I will say this:
While learning theory is very helpful, it is not necessary to write good music. However, do not let that justify your laziness and unwillingness to learn; you are not more "cool" nor "kool" nor "kvlt" nor "punk" nor "badass" if you don't learn theory.

I am not lazy, and I agree with you. I think it's actually cool if you know theory. Makes you more knowledgeable on the subject of music (obviously). I wish to pursue theory to a degree where I can just apply it to however I'm feeling and then incorporate it into my music.

Thanks all for your views.
+1 thats all that needs to be said.

It's not all that needs to be said. Knowledge of music theory is essential if you want to communicate with other musicians in any way. It is possible to write good music without theory knowledge in the same way that it's possible to get a point across with a vocabulary of a dozen words. Yes, it's possible, it's just very limiting and difficult. There is no conceivable reason not to educate yourself about music theory. It will help you as a musician immensely.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's not all that needs to be said. Knowledge of music theory is essential if you want to communicate with other musicians in any way. It is possible to write good music without theory knowledge in the same way that it's possible to get a point across with a vocabulary of a dozen words. Yes, it's possible, it's just very limiting and difficult. There is no conceivable reason not to educate yourself about music theory. It will help you as a musician immensely.

correction........... thats all that needs to be said.... unless you absolutely need to have the last word in a thread.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by grampastumpy
Plus, as everyone else has said, theory is not a set of rules, more a set of explanations.
If that's the case, then why not just come up with your own theories?

it's because theory is SUPPOSED to be explanations, but let's face it - it becomes a dogmatic confinement for every culture until a brave soul insists on a paradigm shift. People follow other's theories religiously because it's the easy way. Personally, I think they make a good jumping off point for a person until the do find their own voice.
Wanderlei war wagon.
Quote by Mortido
If that's the case, then why not just come up with your own theories?
People do it all the time. They just choose to ignore the vast library of information it's taken musicians a couple centuries to perfect.
Quote by Mortido
it's because theory is SUPPOSED to be explanations, but let's face it - it becomes a dogmatic confinement for every culture until a brave soul insists on a paradigm shift. People follow other's theories religiously because it's the easy way. Personally, I think they make a good jumping off point for a person until the do find their own voice.
It is not a dogmatic confinement. Granted, some people do go "Wait a minute, that's not in key, I can't do that." but if you actually know your theory, you will write something of key, be able to EXPLAIN why it still sounds good, and be able to apply that tonality/concept in the future. Theory still has its grey areas, but everything you can do CAN be explained by theory.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by grampastumpy
People do it all the time. They just choose to ignore the vast library of information it's taken musicians a couple centuries to perfect.

He's absolutely correct, see my signature for such pearls of wisdom.
Page 1 of 2