Let me start by saying that I am a very self conscious person, when I care about something. I care A LOT about music. I want to major in music in fact. I know what the response will be, 'you probably aren't good enough....no one ever makes it big...blah blah, I get that from my parents enough. I want to be good though. I am a very determined and stubborn person and I'll do what it takes to be a good musician. I not even thinking about making it big or anything like most people....it would be nice.....but mostly I'd like to feel like an accomplished musician.
Anyways, first question, what should I do if I want to major in music. I already take private lessons for guitar and am looking into them for violin. I practice as much as possible right now. I'm taking music theory next year and am going to music camp over the summer, like I did last year. I also play in the orchestra at school. What else??
My second question. I want to record covers and put them on youtube. I know a lot of people will trash me on youtube, but if I'm allowed to put a link on here, will you guys give me constructive criticism, please. I already tried recording a cover of trace bundy's canon, but I would get really nervous, so I'm going to practice it more and start out with easier songs I really want to get better
i think there's a special forum for your recordings, but, don't let people stop you. you honestly just want to be accomplished musician, and that's beyond what a lot of people want to be, most people just want to be famous and whatnot, but not even put the time in. So, you're a step ahead of many other guitarists, I hope you do well.
if you don't want to make a thread for your videos, feel free to pm me with links to them and i will do my best to help you
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It depends what you want in a career in music, you can make money from music without being hugely famous and selling out stadiums; try going for being a session musician or something but be aware that you need to be good to do that.

Youtube covers are fine around here but be prepared for some pretty harsh criticism, some of the people around here are absolutely impossible to please in terms of technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i think it was slash that said once "all it takes is ignorance and confidence" so if you believe that you can do it and dont let anyone tell you otherwise then you can make it
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Take youtube comments with a grain of salt. If you're not a white male, than you'll just get **** for being any sort of minority or female on youtube right off the bat. Than you get plain douche bags. Reach for the sky though, if you want to go anywhere in life.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It depends what you want in a career in music, you can make money from music without being hugely famous and selling out stadiums; try going for being a session musician or something but be aware that you need to be good to do that.

Youtube covers are fine around here but be prepared for some pretty harsh criticism, some of the people around here are absolutely impossible to please in terms of technique.

that's fine with me I'm sick and tired of being told I play good, so people can spare my feelings. and as far as the career in music thing, I'd honestly be fine with teaching. I'm not gonna lie, I don't care about money, I don't eat a lot jk. but I'm good with little kids and I have some teaching experience from taekwondo. It's not the most glamorous thing, but to me anything with music or taekwondo would be a dream job
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Take youtube comments with a grain of salt. If you're not a white male, than you'll just get **** for being any sort of minority or female on youtube right off the bat. Than you get plain douche bags. Reach for the sky though, if you want to go anywhere in life.

I don't exactly under stand your comment right now (I'm tired) but yes I'm a girl
Quote by tkdfighter
that's fine with me I'm sick and tired of being told I play good, so people can spare my feelings. and as far as the career in music thing, I'd honestly be fine with teaching. I'm not gonna lie, I don't care about money, I don't eat a lot jk. but I'm good with little kids and I have some teaching experience from taekwondo. It's not the most glamorous thing, but to me anything with music or taekwondo would be a dream job

Good, as long as you're not one of these people who wants to do music for a career but won't contemplate either working for it or not being a stadium filling rock god.

And JakdOnCrack is right; seeing as how you're female you'll either get a tonne of comments saying "OMGZ You're teh hotness!!!1!!1! And you playz guitarz, lets get marryed!" or "Hurhur, fat chick!". I officially apologize in advance on behalf of my gender.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For your first question:

If you want to major in music, think about taking up the viola or the bassoon -- no kidding. People who play those instruments are so rare that university programs snatch them up in a second. If you play marginally well, you're sure to get a scholarship.
Quote by tkdfighter
I don't exactly under stand your comment right now (I'm tired) but yes I'm a girl

i think he said that youll get bashed on youtube if you are other than a white male. So if you are a girl youll get harsh comments (by what he said). i think girls get praised a lot on youtube though. Don't pay mind to those people with harsh comments; some say jimmy page wasnt a great guitarist, you know what i mean?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Good, as long as you're not one of these people who wants to do music for a career but won't contemplate either working for it or not being a stadium filling rock god.

And JakdOnCrack is right; seeing as how you're female you'll either get a tonne of comments saying "OMGZ You're teh hotness!!!1!!1! And you playz guitarz, lets get marryed!" or "Hurhur, fat chick!". I officially apologize in advance on behalf of my gender.

being a session would be cool. but you have to be really really good. I'd like to write songs and be in a band, that would be fun. But, I'd be good with teaching too, ya know what I mean
Quote by milagroso
For your first question:

If you want to major in music, think about taking up the viola or the bassoon -- no kidding. People who play those instruments are so rare that university programs snatch them up in a second. If you play marginally well, you're sure to get a scholarship.

that does make sense, but I love the two instruments that I play so much, that I know I couldn't stop playing them ever...I'd have to add the new one in. My tinyish brain would explode with the effort of learning to play 3 instruments
aww you people are all so nice and helpful....I feel welcomed on this site. Thank you all so much!!
Quote by tkdfighter
being a session would be cool. but you have to be really really good. I'd like to write songs and be in a band, that would be fun. But, I'd be good with teaching too, ya know what I mean

I think the best idea would be to try and become a teacher as that's the surest way of making money (it's still no sure thing) and be writing songs in a band or whatever as a side project like a hobby as the chances of you making a living from it are so minute it begs belief. It is true that you need to be damn good to be a session musician, you need to be able to sight read to the highest standard and basically be a virtuoso on your instrument, otherwise you'll never get hired.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well let me start by saying good luck to you.

Don't listen to the people on YouTube, most of them are just dumb and insecure themselves. They are just ridiculous, which is why many people just post a vid on YouTube and link to it from here and only pay any attention to the comments here.

I'm the same way as you though, very self conscious with many things. But the one thing I'm not too afraid of is my guitar playing, I'm not that great but I feel I can play a little. I'm also wanting to become a musician, as thats the only thing I'm at least somewhat good at, I dropped out of high school, I'm not (currently) going to college, so my options are pretty limited. I'm studying theory very heavily right now and techniques and stuff. I suffer very severely from Social Anxiety so I have a very hard time doing things like going to college and stuff of that nature, but I am very skilled at learning things on my own(I've just always been that way) as long as I have a resource that explains well enough for me to get a grasp. I wouldn't mind just being a luthier, if I can't make it playing music, as I like building things(and yes, I was that kid that took everything apart and put it back together ), and if I could build guitars then that would be fine.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Unless you have killer tone in your YouTube videos, you will NOT get much more than a 2 or 3 star rating. Why?

Nearly everyone on YouTube are complete retards.

If you don't have an extremely nice tone in your videos, you will be rated down and told you suck. You may get a few nice comments from people who actually know how hard it is to play the song, rather than buy a 2000 dollar amp for the tone.

I tried putting videos of myself on YouTube and since my house isn't acoustically set-up, I got the dead-bass effect and all of my tone was basically empty and awful, but in real life, it's actually quite decent. If you look up Unholy Confessions on youtube, and go to the first video (greendragon or something) you'll notice that fellow really butchers the song but because of his killer tone, he's rated up as if he were a rockstar.