I've checked the search bar, and nothing came up, so how do you approach writing a song?

Usually, I write a guitar riff and then record it. Then I write lyrics and present it to the band. So it ends up in this order:

Guitar (rhythm)
Drums
Bass
Guitar (lead)
Vocals
Vocals (backing)
mines always different but starts the same way

the riff. i jam the riff and wait till another riff comes to it, maybe in the same sitting, maybe a month later. after i have a couple riffs i want to put together i get a basic arrangement and think about the rhythm, things like

"would a break be good?" or "maybe have the guitars cut out and leave it to some other instrumentation?" or "what should i do with the bridge type section" or "would a fill go good somewhere?"

then i somewhat flesh out those ideas a little. record a real simple version of it to a drum loop and work out some kind of lead line. then i have a basic (usually poor quality) version of the song, something to work with when the time comes to really record it.
I just write lyrics and take any cool riff I've made up and try to work that around the lyrics to make it sound right, then I take it to the lead guitarist and we work out our song until we get it. Then comes bass and drums last to finish it off.
I usualy just stockpile an assload of lyrics and riffs/licks.
I start with the guitar parts and i see what works over what, (at the beggining for a general idea i try messing round with things in the same key) and put drums and bass to it.
Then sort through all the lyrics and get the best ones and put it into a song structure.
I then get the full recorded instrumental track and put it with what i feel is the best suiting lyrics and the from the insrumental stuff i construct a vocal melody.
Then i record the newly constructed melody over the instrumental track i already have.
Then lastly i put any extra polish needed (for example backing vocals, weird instruments [Eg. Sitar] ect) in and badabing badaboom.
You have a song.
Yeah, well I make lyrics usually. Then, perhaps I'll kind of hum the lyrics to myself to acquire a decent melody; after that comes the guitar. I don't really get past that stage, haha.
Usually I think of something in my head (often it's inspired by something else, like a new band or song I haven't heard before), and it's usually at work or some place where I'm isolated for a long time. I'll spend that day at work humming the little something (random melody, line, lyric, anything), adding to it, thinking of lyrics, progressions, things to go with it. Then I get home, and start writing it out on some blank staff paper. If I get a chance I put it in GP and eventually I work out midi drums and everything else until I have a near finished song.

It's different every time- sometimes I'll just have one little thing, sometimes a whole song will come to me, sometimes it'll take like an hour, sometimes I'll let it sit for months before more inspiration comes.
haha, first post in nearly a year ftw

I do nothing until my mind comes up with a riff. if i'm paying attention at that moment, i write it down or play it if i can't, so i won't forget it. then i build up all the other instruments around it and hope someday i can come up with some form of intelligible lyric that does NOT sound like somebody trying to hum a guitar part
Hell has a 2-for-1 deal and i'm inviting you!

IT'S TIME TO TAKE THE TIME!

We're all waiting
For something

A whisper of silence
A reflection of darkness

Something lost to be found
I have two ways.

My first way is extremely methodical. It's all about melody. I'd write a simple melody and then perfect it using everything I know about melodies, which is also the stage in which I find my chord progression. Then I'd write a few countermelodies to it, maybe make one of them a riff or a bassline or something. After that it all just falls together and I can add instruments as I choose.

The other way is pretty simple, I'd just wail some almost random notes over some guitar stuff with nonsense lyrics. Think of a cross between delta blues guitar and chord melody stuff. The result is a horrible sounding mess.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I can't write songs on my own. Er, I can, but they always turn out all pear-shaped. The only really truly good tunes I've come up with always stem from me jamming with some other folks. Drugs also help, too. Pref. pot, but acid can be a laugh.

A riff in isolation or a chord progression, to me, is absolutely meaningless. Like a little fragment of ceramic, you know? I like being able to see the whole mosaic, instead of one little chip of tile.
I'd come up with a riff of sorts, then experiment with different underlying harmonies. I then think about if its cool enough for a chorus or can i make something with more hook in it. Only once the chorus is done would I then think of lyrics and the first thing to pop in my head that matches the hook is the thing I would be working with. I'm not worth a drummers ass so i stick to the drum machine to lay a basic beat around the song. If I don't have any lyrics done then I would write along the lines of intro-v-c-v-c-bridge-c-c. Thats the basic way of how i write. On occassion I'd start with a strong chorus as an intro and the rest of the song follows suit.
I write in GP so I have alot more open to me..

I tend to write acoustic riffs and then branch out into an electric guitar. In my most recent song, I wrote an acoustic riff first, layed down the bass line and second guitar (3 melodies) and then I did the drums. I layered some strings and a keys melody over that as well. That's usually how it goes: guitar, bass, drums, keys/strings/horns/whatever else.

It's worked out pretty good so far. I've got a sick 10 minute song i'm still adding to. I'm just waiting on inspiration to hit. It's taken me about a month to get it this far though...
I usually get inspired by something (9 times out of ten it's a girl) so I write the idea, then use theory and my ear to fill in the gaps.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I'll usually start from an idea; may it be on bass, guitar drums or snails; write it down and write what comes to my mind.
You like it
Quote by demonofthenight
I have two ways.

My first way is extremely methodical. It's all about melody. I'd write a simple melody and then perfect it using everything I know about melodies, which is also the stage in which I find my chord progression. Then I'd write a few countermelodies to it, maybe make one of them a riff or a bassline or something. After that it all just falls together and I can add instruments as I choose.

The other way is pretty simple, I'd just wail some almost random notes over some guitar stuff with nonsense lyrics. Think of a cross between delta blues guitar and chord melody stuff. The result is a horrible sounding mess.

Captain Beefheart? Is that you?