Would that sound good? anyone own a bass made of all maple? I could use some opinions about it.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

i don't think maple is a tone wood compared to others
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
^ lern 2 tonewood

Also, slap some fresh Rotosounds on it, and you'll need welding goggles to play that baby.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I once tried a bass made of maple, didn't sound too good compared to alder.
well, what would be some better tone woods for bass. I'm sort of more of a guitarist looking for a cheap bass that sounds good.

I have an all maple P bass clone. My comments on it:

Its heavy--it weights in at about 13 lbs/ 6 kilos

Soundwise, its very bright and punchy. Its not a warm sound per se, but definitely clear, bright and tonally distinct lows and almost brash highs.

Despite this bass being a 1990 starter bass, I really love it and its been my modding project for about a year. With new Quarter pounders, its quite loud and great for punk / alternative.
Rickenbackers are also all maple which is one of the reasons for their distinct tone. The Gibson Grabber was also made of all maple. Those might give you some idea about how it would sound but neither one has jazz pickups in it so it won't be exact.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by anarkee
I have an all maple P bass clone. My comments on it:

Its heavy--it weights in at about 13 lbs/ 6 kilos

Soundwise, its very bright and punchy. Its not a warm sound per se, but definitely clear, bright and tonally distinct lows and almost brash highs.

Despite this bass being a 1990 starter bass, I really love it and its been my modding project for about a year. With new Quarter pounders, its quite loud and great for punk / alternative.

thats awesome cuz I play punk, alternative and grunge.

My Warwick has a maple body - I have some sound clips on my profile if you're curious.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
My Warwick has a maple body - I have some sound clips on my profile if you're curious.

cool man, i'll listen to them. thanks for the help everyone.

I think this whole maple/brightness thing is quite overrated. There's a world of difference between brightness and clarity, and maple is a clear wood, but isn't that much brighter than any of my ash instruments. I EQ my maple bass like I do my ash ones - it's just a clearer, 'harder' tonewood.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think this whole maple/brightness thing is quite overrated. There's a world of difference between brightness and clarity, and maple is a clear wood, but isn't that much brighter than any of my ash instruments. I EQ my maple bass like I do my ash ones - it's just a clearer, 'harder' tonewood.

No offence fitzy, but if those soundclips are accurate representations of the sound of that Warwick I think ill just stay home on this one. I'd almost have to describe that tone as overly harsh.
All to their own though methinks.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
My A6 is maple. It really is quite bright in all honesty, even with shagged strings!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
My Musicman is mostly maple, if not all, and the tone is awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I believe rickenbackers are all maple.

Some Pedullas are too.

Thing is, there's more than one type of maple wood, some are brighter than others, some are good for bodys. Depends on the species.
i'm almost certain the threadstarter is talking about the squier vintage modified jazz bass. and when i played it i was very pleased with the sound, it was bright but not to the point where it's harsh and the weight felt about right, slightly heavier than a standard alder jazz bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.