my friend has a 4-string and doesn't really know what gauge strings he should get. he needs strings heavy enough to tune between B standard and E standard. I'm not an expert on it and dunno if bass strings are different from guitar strings, so I figured I'd ask for recommendations here.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
You'll need to get a 5-string set and constantly swap strings. No other way around it. Ideally, he should get a 5-string bass. If he has a 24 fret bass, he should just always keep it in B, as a 24 fret tuned to B has just one less note available compared to a 5-string Fender-style bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
or hecould get one of those darklord basses, is it made by warwick? anyway they come tuned down nearly an octave
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I go with what thefitz said about buy a 5-string set.
Instead of swapping strings, just toss the G-string and tune the bass down a fourth. B-E-A-D. He losses some range, but saves messing around with changing tuning.
Quote by scawti
I go with what thefitz said about buy a 5-string set.
Instead of swapping strings, just toss the G-string and tune the bass down a fourth. B-E-A-D. He losses some range, but saves messing around with changing tuning.

And, I say again, if the bass has 24 frets, you have all the notes of a 5-string Fender style bass except for the high Eb.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..