What is considered Semi-Formal dress for a guy? I'm going to my schools and unsure what it entirely meens. Dress shirt, pants, and a tie?
If they want you to wear a tie, there's probably a school tie to wear if you mean a Sixth Form kind of deal.

Generally, I'd say semi-formal is shirt, jeans and trainers.
Last edited by blue_strat at Apr 7, 2008,
I'd say shirt, jeans and some rather nice shoes would do the job.
I'm a communist. Really.
maybe just like... a polo shirt and some slacks?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
our semi formal was a costume party

but you can still go dressed up as a banana
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
wear a girl.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by freshtunes
What is considered Semi-Formal dress for a guy? I'm going to my schools and unsure what it entirely meens. Dress shirt, pants, and a tie?

semi formal is thrown around all helter skelter. In some circles you'd even wear a jacket to a semi formal event, while in others you'd be fine with a polo shirt and no tie. Only you can have a clue about what type of people are going to be there and how seriously they'll take it. I say play it safe and take the middle ground: real shoes, dress pants, and a shirt and tie., but it's all your judgement, of course.

to the jeans though for anything other than super casual. I know there are very expensive jeans, but there's really no such thing as "nice" jeans.
i went to my schools semi formal a few months ago in a dress shirt and dress pants, but the other kids went all out and i ended up looking waay to casual. i really thought i didn't care but it turns out i do.

my advice is go buy your clothes with your friends so you know what others will be wearing
Having worked in the formal retail industry for about 3 years, I can tell you that semi-formal is usually just a nice looking button-up shirt, some nice casual jeans and semi-decent but casual shoes. You can wear a tie, but if it suits you or if you want to. That's pretty much it.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Dress pants, shirt, tie, no jacket.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Nekkid.

Open smart shirt, nice jeans, nice shoes.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
It means you can get away with wearing some smart-looking jeans and trainers as long as they're accompanied by a shirt.

Don't go in ripped jeans and battered skating shoes, though.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
One of those t-shirts with a tuxedo airbrushed onto it.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by freshtunes

For my semi-formal, 95% of the guys turned up in fancy buttoned shirt, dressy pants and some nice shoes. Only some wore ties.

I never wore any of it since.
Quote by HaKattack
One of those t-shirts with a tuxedo airbrushed onto it.

Or just get a tie tattooed onto your neck and chest, and go half naked.
Or even all naked.
Semi formal does NOT mean jeans: it means shirt, tie (optional), pants, proper shoes (not trainers), and jacket. You can get away with jeans if it's smart casual but even then only sometimes. Trust me, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Quote by mr_bill0ws
Semi formal does NOT mean jeans: it means shirt, tie (optional), pants, proper shoes (not trainers), and jacket. You can get away with jeans if it's smart casual but even then only sometimes. Trust me, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Sometimes guitar club at our school plays school dances. I've seen confused children actually wearing tux's thinking it would be a formal dance when it's barely even a a semi-formal. Poor kids...
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Semi-formal wear-Wife basher singlet(blue or white), old footy shorts(2 or 3 years old minimum) , Black & white double pluggers!
thats what i'd wear!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Get a nice "dress" shirt, not double cuffed. Wear it on top of a plain t-shirt and unbutton it to half way. Wear some of your nice jeans, ie. no faded patches and no rips. Wear a nice pair of polished shoes. Bring a casual suit blaizer (sp?) and if everyone else is wearing them you can put it on and be as smart as them, if not just play it off that it's cold outside.
I like my coffee black, just like my metal.
Semi-Formal means full tuxedo, with top hat and tails, monacle, and a smart cane for posing.

Perhaps a pipe also.
at my school, semi-formal means not tuxedo. just a shirt and tie, jacket if you want.
It means dress formally, but have a semi boner
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Quote by dullsilver_mike
semi formal is thrown around all helter skelter. In some circles you'd even wear a jacket to a semi formal event, while in others you'd be fine with a polo shirt and no tie. Only you can have a clue about what type of people are going to be there and how seriously they'll take it. I say play it safe and take the middle ground: real shoes, dress pants, and a shirt and tie., but it's all your judgement, of course.

to the jeans though for anything other than super casual. I know there are very expensive jeans, but there's really no such thing as "nice" jeans.

Correct. Though in younger crowds where adults aren't involved, Polo and Khakis are generally found acceptable.
Semi-formal for a guy is actually a suit, or at least slacks, shirt & tie, and a jacket. No jeans. That's considered "casual," and therefore not appropriate. "Formal" would be a tux.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dullsilver_mike

id agree, your far better off over estimating whats required
Casual = What you want
Smart-casual = Shirt, no tie, nice shoes, decent slacks, jeans, whatever as long as they're good.
Semi-formal = NOT jeans, maybe slacks/suit trousers, shirt, nice shoes, tie no jacket or jacket no tie.
Formal = Suit, shirt, tie
Black tie = Dinner suit, black bow tie etc.
White tie = The works, tails, waistcoat, white bow tie, military medals.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Quote by C.C. Deville
maybe just like... a polo shirt and some slacks?

Sorry, but how the hell could that possibly be semi-formal? That isn't even semi-casual.

I don't understand why so many people are suggesting trainers and jeans either.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
what are slacks ?

btw.. im going to what i think is a semi-formal or semi casual event too...

whats the diff brothers?
Quote by Diamond Dave
id agree, your far better off over estimating whats required

This. If you go wearing a tie, you can take it off if noone else is wearing it. Go without a tie when everyone else is wearing one, and you'll feel like a...
Something bad.
Nice shirt and jeans.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Hello,

Semi formal is not too casual and not too formal, you are not required to wear suit, though you can wear dress shirt without tie, semi formal look.

Regards,
sarah_9

Men`s Formal Shoes
Jeans shirt and a blazer
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.