Hey guys! Ok, so this summer I'm going to get a job, and as any musician would do, I'm going to blow it on instruments!!! So I've already got my amp, and I'm pretty sure of the guitar I want, an Epi LP Custom. So, after I get my amp, and the Custom, if I have some cash left over, then it's going into upgrades. So I'm gonna buy a set of locking tuners, as they're a must for almost any guitar, and I think new pickups (Blackouts!).

But, while I was looking around, I found this, a stopbar tail piece with fine tuners! What exactly would be the advantage of this? Just being able to make really small adjustments on tuning? Would this maybe increase sustain?

I'm not entirely sure if I'm sold on it yet, I've read some things about it but nothing more than it's a stop bar with fine tuners, which I'm still in the dark as to what major effect that has on the guitar.

Could someone explain this to me? Preferably only if you've had experience with one or something like it. Thanks for help in advance!
I would be wary of replacing it. If you're getting a new Epi, it should come with their locked stopbar tailpiece which adds (or so they claim) about 20% more sustain - this other bridge may very well match that, but I doubt it could surpass it, and I have only ever found the need for fine tuners on FR-bridge guitars.

Some of your other changes seem a bit suspect too. Epi's tuners on their Customs are usually pretty good (of course there's always the chance - as with any Epi - that you'll get a bad example, but the majority are fine), while it is their nuts that need changing first and foremost (a bone nut will be infinitely superior to the crap plastic nut the Custom comes with). I would also replace the tune-o-matic section of the bridge, before thinking about changing the stopbar.
The other thing to consider is when you change the pickups, have the pots and all existing wiring replaced too.

On 99% of production Epis (not counting the Elitist models), the top three changes that are pretty much required are:
1) new nut
2) new tune-o-matic
3) new wiring

Pickups of course come down to preference, and usually, everything else - stopbar, tuners, selector, input - are all fine as stock.
Quote by bokuho
I would be wary of replacing it. If you're getting a new Epi, it should come with their locked stopbar tailpiece which adds (or so they claim) about 20% more sustain - this other bridge may very well match that, but I doubt it could surpass it, and I have only ever found the need for fine tuners on FR-bridge guitars.

Some of your other changes seem a bit suspect too. Epi's tuners on their Customs are usually pretty good (of course there's always the chance - as with any Epi - that you'll get a bad example, but the majority are fine), while it is their nuts that need changing first and foremost (a bone nut will be infinitely superior to the crap plastic nut the Custom comes with). I would also replace the tune-o-matic section of the bridge, before thinking about changing the stopbar.
The other thing to consider is when you change the pickups, have the pots and all existing wiring replaced too.

On 99% of production Epis (not counting the Elitist models), the top three changes that are pretty much required are:
1) new nut
2) new tune-o-matic
3) new wiring

Pickups of course come down to preference, and usually, everything else - stopbar, tuners, selector, input - are all fine as stock.

Ok, this was the reason I was kind of weary of it. It just seemed like it didn't really need to be there, so I assumed maybe it magically made it better haha.

I was going to put locking tuners on just for security, if the stock ones are ok I won't but if I notice it coming out of tune etc, then I will upgrade to locking tuners. Reason I'm concerned about it is because the Jazz band I play in does concerts that go up to forty minutes to an hour, and I'm not going to have a backup guitar, so I would have to tune it on the fly.

What type of a TOM bridge would you suggest? Also, how exactly would I go about replacing the nut? Is it just a glue on thing?

I was going to rewire everything, the Blackouts (as far as I'm aware) do come with everything needed to do that (pots, wires, etc.). Do you mean even like the pickup selector switch?

EDIT

Ok, the Blackouts only come with pots, jack, and a clip, so do you suggest I just go to the local hardware and get wiring then just use that? This will be my first pickup change, I'm considering having a professional do it, and I know him pretty well so if I asked for him to use different wiring it wouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 8, 2008,