Hey,

I am going to college in a few months, and want to get a new guitar before I have to spend all of my paychecks on books and tuition.

I play blues and blues rock. Think Zeppelin, Oasis, Eric Clapton, etc.

I have a MIA strat, and want the Les Paul look and sound. I am looking at knock-offs, because I can't really afford a Gibson . I was looking at a Classic, but I just can't throw that much money towards a guitar right now.

I have been looking at these models:

Orville Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (With Alnico II's I'm going to install)
Rondo Musics AL-3100 (With Alnico II's)

I am not interested in low grade Gibsons or Hagstroms.

Which would be the best for Blues Rock and which is the best quality? The Orville will be a stretch, since they were manufactured by Gibson and are of higher quality, but if I get the Epi LP Custom, I would put in the Alnico II's and probably replace the tuners.

Does the gold hardware fade off after a while? That's something I am worried about.

How is the tone of the all mahogany body? Would it be better to just get an Epi LP Plus instead of the custom? Thanks in advance.
High as tits
the lp custom is quite literally amazing
the tone of the mahogany is above perfect for the price

you probably wont even need to replace the pickups,
and the gold hardware on mine hasnt faded yet [couple years old as it was]
Epiphone Les Pauls have a great sound! Just get the customs. Keep in mind Les Pauls are quite heavy guitars though.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
I like the heaviness of it, makes it feel like a real guitar, something I can really go crazy with.
High as tits
Epiphone Les Paul Custom all the way Especially this one... oh baby...!

Or you could try out a Hagstrom Super Swede. It's a Les Paul body guitar with neck of the same 25.5 scale length as your Fender. Or the Swede which has the original 24 3/4 LP scale length. They're are a bit cheaper than Epiphone Custom.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87

Or you could try out a Hagstrom Super Swede. It's a Les Paul body guitar with neck of the same 25.5 scale length as your Fender. Or the Swede which has the original 24 3/4 LP scale length. They're are a bit cheaper than Epiphone Custom.

Thats not a custom, thats a Zakk Wylde Sig. The Custom comes mostly in black with gold plated hardware and three humbucker pickups. Having owned an Epi LP standard and played customs and plus' a great deal I would say that for value for your money the standard would be best, but for sheer quality the Plus is the only choice
Try and look for some old LP copies? Like old Ibanez Les Paul copies or a Tokai Love Rock? I heard old Japanese copies were so damn good, that they were better than authentic Gibson guitars and hence, lawsuit time!
Quote by guy_tebache
Thats not a custom, thats a Zakk Wylde Sig. The Custom comes mostly in black with gold plated hardware and three humbucker pickups. Having owned an Epi LP standard and played customs and plus' a great deal I would say that for value for your money the standard would be best, but for sheer quality the Plus is the only choice

...Thats a black beauty. The customs are 2 pickup, with an entire range of finishes.
The AL-3100 is the better value (especially since you're saving money over the Custom
you'll have a little left over after installing the Duncans). You could then spend the remainder on new tuners and sprucing up the electronics a smidge (which don't even need upgrades since they're pretty decent stock) to make yourself a workhorse that has both looks and great tone.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by guy_tebache

ZW sig Epi LP guitar can be considered as a custom aside from the bullseye finish and emg pickups. And you were talking about the Black Beauty. mate.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Orvilles are amazing. Gibson standard definitely, sound wise. I highly recommend it. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, Orvilles are made by Gibson. They are/were the Japanese version of Gibson. I know they used to be the Japanese Gibson, but not very sure if Orvilles are still under Gibson.

Alternatives are Edwards, Tokai, Burny, Grassroots, Greco. All Japanese brands if i am not wrong. I also highly recommend Edwards and Tokai of those brands. High quality stuff.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by guy_tebache

that is a custom, just look at the headstock...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by lithium26
Orvilles are amazing. Gibson standard definitely, sound wise. I highly recommend it. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, Orvilles are made by Gibson. They are/were the Japanese version of Gibson. I know they used to be the Japanese Gibson, but not very sure if Orvilles are still under Gibson.

Alternatives are Edwards, Tokai, Burny, Grassroots, Greco. All Japanese brands if i am not wrong. I also highly recommend Edwards and Tokai of those brands. High quality stuff.

I don't have experience with Tokai and Greco besides common knowledge but I know for sure a good Edwards or Burny is probably going to be out of his price range.
Quote by hazardmaster
Epiphone Les Pauls have a great sound! Just get the customs. Keep in mind Les Pauls are quite heavy guitars though.

+1
Get an ESP EC Series. It the Les Paul cut, but it is lighter and cooler looking imo. I got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I wish I had gotten the ESP, but I didnt know about them at the time.
And a wise man once said:

"7 Strings are more brutal than 6"
Have a look at Tokai's and Edwards (japanese makes) especially their older models, MUCH more guitar for the price, very nice guitars.
stick with your strat. put some new pickups in (texas specials, or lindy fralins).

job done.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I was in your situation, I got a Japanese Tokai Les Paul, brilliant guitar, got it for £500.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by hminh87

I stated in my original post that I am not interested in Hagstroms.

Quote by Coollisj22
Get an ESP EC Series. It the Les Paul cut, but it is lighter and cooler looking imo. I got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I wish I had gotten the ESP, but I didnt know about them at the time.

I almost bought one 2 years ago. It's too light, I don't like EMG's, and the color options are way too limited.

I like Tokai's, but the ones that actually ARE on eBay are extremely expensive , around $1000. I like the Orville's, but I have never had any experience with them.
High as tits
I would save a little and stretch the budget for an elitest les paul custom. A few bucks more but then you have a top notch guitar that you wont always wish was a gibson.
Definitely the Agile. They are awesome.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
tokai love rock for the win
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I personally dislike all Deans I have played, even the Caddilac :\.

Atleast their lower models have quality the same as a middlepriced guitar.

But yeah Deans aren't for everyone.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by Wakisazhi
I don't have experience with Tokai and Greco besides common knowledge but I know for sure a good Edwards or Burny is probably going to be out of his price range.

Really? I thought that Orvilles were the same price as Edwards, and Burnys were cheaper. At least that's the situation in my country.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
The Edwards I have seen were all BIN's for around $1025, which is a little too much.

I found an Epiphone Japanese LP Standard, but it's $750, which seems a little much for an Epiphone.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
The Edwards I have seen were all BIN's for around $1025, which is a little too much.

I found an Epiphone Japanese LP Standard, but it's $750, which seems a little much for an Epiphone.

Dude like I said, the Agile will be the best bet. It's got good looks and with the pup change and tuner change you planned on with an optional electronics upgrade (just to make the most of things since you'd have the cash) it'll have great tone and make for a reliable workhorse that'll last for a while.
Right now I am choosing between the Epi LP Custom and Epi LP Standard Plus Top as well as the Orville and Tokai models, but I am not too hot about ordering off of eBay .

My problem with the Custom is that the "gold" hardware wears off very quickly. If I got the LP Standard Plus I would drop in Alnico II's, A bone or Graphite nut, new tone pots, and perhaps even some Kluson Vintage Tuners for better tuning stability.

I know that it wouldn't compare to the build quality and wood quality that Gibson uses for its standards, but I'll be running it through a nice amp, and wont the pick-ups replicate the sound nicely enough?
High as tits
Sorry for the double post, but I have found that with everything I plan on doing it comes out to:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honeyburst - $549.99
Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbucking Set – 159.99
TonePros Standard Locking Tune-o-matic/Tailpiece Set - $116.50
Gibson Vintage Les Paul Pearloid Machine Tuning Heads - $89.99
Dunlop Dual-Design Straplok System - $13.99
Graph Tech TUSQ Oversized Nut Blank 1/8” - $9.99

TOTAL: $940.45

This basically changes everything that I dislike about the Epiphone's poor build quality and materials. Knock off a couple hundred because I will be buying used, and it will probably cost me round $800 max. Sound good?
High as tits