Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with hard hitting leads. I feel like I'm good enough to be playing what I want I just am having trouble getting the sound I want.
I have been playing for over three years, I can come up with some really cool blues licks and lines, but the problem is that it sounds like melow....blues. I use my RC-2 to jam over chords and when I try to really get intense with the solo it falls apart and sounds like wankering. I Don't necessarily want to play faster, I definitely don't want to shred, but I just wan't it to be heavier sounding I guess.

My main question is, since most hard rock solos are in the style of blues anyway what do I do to make it sound more hard rock and not like blues? I'm thinkin Slash here.

Thanks guys!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Last edited by bshizzle911 at Apr 8, 2008,
add intensity to your fingers. just kind of focus on your fingers and add anger to your playing, i cant really explain it well, but it worked for me
Ok, I'm thinking it may have to do with playing with very little overdrive and volume sometimes, and it just doesn't have any sustain or epic tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
Quote by bangoodcharlote
play nasty.
As in make faces and swear at your audience

Ever heard the boogies written by delta bluesman? Pretty much upbeat blues. Just about all hard rock solo's are boogies played badly, as in if robert johnson played hard rock he'd own everyone thats said to play hard rock.
Learn solos by the kind of guys you want to emulate.

Hit the strings HARD when you need a lot of attack out of them.

Don't be afraid to make nasty sounds - double stopping, unison bends, and even overdone bends and vibrato can fit nicely into a hard rock setting.

Sort your tone - it won't be the whole problem, but you do want a sound that'll complement your playing.

Accent the right notes - play around with this.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
ya, I think I just need to analyze more solos that I like. I don't really do that much anymore.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
Its kind of a progression from blues to rock. Instead of playing bluesly licks with a triplet feel you need to have a more rock oriented feel. It's hard to explain. Don't swing so much, i guess i am trying to say.
If you looking for that extra sonic edge push it with bends and vibrato's

I find myself running the fret board, find something interesting then play it, after a while once the lick is mastered I find spots where I can pull of bends and squeely Harmonics.

Those things tend to brighten up something to give it more of an gritty animal feel.

Besides in BLues and rock the best way to get expressive emotion conveyed and sold to the audience is with a solid bend with sustain. Just hope no one stairs at you blankly when ya finish. That might give ya an idea if it was the right bend/vibrato or double bend at the right time or not
Last edited by WickedZero at Apr 9, 2008,