Hi all,

First post

Ummmm, well, I got the basics of my gear together. I just need help with my pedal selection now.

So, My main guitar is a 1979 Gibson RD artist.

My amp's a 1975 fender bassman 100 with orig cab. (about the best clean tone ever) 6550 tubes (should i change back to 6l6's?)

I'm a heavy metal guitarist, but old metal, back when it still had melody. (Wishbone Ash, Metallica, Zep, Deep Purple, Sabathish sorta stuff)

So what pedals should i be looking at?

Thanks
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Do not under any circumstances get an MT-2. You will surely receive a few recommendations for this pedal, but I can assure that it is an utter piece of crap. The struggle to find an even decent setting without tones of hiss and without a thin sound is never ending. PLEASE heed my advice, don't make the mistake I made many years ago!

That being said I'd look into two different pedals. First the big muff pi overdrive. It is very smooth sounding blend of old and new tones. It also has incredible sustain and can provide a fuzz (milder than a stand alone fuzz pedal). It works perfectly for me for the solo to Paranoid when it is in front of another distortion pedal....

Fulltone GT-500. I believe if I had to have only one distortion pedal, this would be it. It features two channels, a boost and distortion. Both of which are very versatile, ranging from a clean boost to mild overdrive, and the distortion channel goes from medium distortion to pretty heavy (not quite metallic-ish but close, I play whiskey in a jar with it and sound pretty good).

I'm sure there are tons more options, this is just a starting point.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I think the Bassman isn't exactly the best amp to play metal on. But you could get the Fulltone the guy above me mentioned (which is an awesome pedal) or something like a EHX Metal Muff if you're on a tighter budget (i have a feeling you aren't )
AMT ELECTRONICS BRITISH SOUND. This might be something of interest for you. I haven't had a lot of experience with one, very little actually , but it seems to have a nice tone to it. I think it would fit the style you are going for.
Quote by thellamaking
I think the Bassman isn't exactly the best amp to play metal on. But you could get the Fulltone the guy above me mentioned (which is an awesome pedal) or something like a EHX Metal Muff if you're on a tighter budget (i have a feeling you aren't )

lol. I think you'd be suprized with the bassman, she's got a beautiful clean tone. Between her and the RD you can get just about any tone. From what i hear, bassmans are some of the best overdriving amps there are. The two disortion tones im really looking for are like the chorus in "One" and "Fade To Black" - Metallica. For overdrive something like "Persephone" - Wishbone Ash. Maybe a good reverb? A Delay? and a good wah.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Don't get me wrong i love the Bassman, but for heavy tones it wont be as great as a Peavey JSX
A Bassman for metal. Spectacular amp choice but wouldn't you be better off A/Bing it with a heavier amp? If I were you, I would look into getting an amp that has an overdrive channel like a JCM 900 (probably what you are after) and A/Bing it with the Bassman for cleans and crunch. Alternatively, a good distortion pedal could do it. I could list you some good ones if you wished me to.

Also, you may want to look at a chorus, phaser, delay and a wah (once again, if you want a list of some good ones, tell me) for effects, as they were the most common of the time and fit what you describe to me now.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
A Bassman for metal. Spectacular amp choice but wouldn't you be better off A/Bing it with a heavier amp? If I were you, I would look into getting an amp that has an overdrive channel like a JCM 900 (probably what you are after) and A/Bing it with the Bassman for cleans and crunch. Alternatively, a good distortion pedal could do it. I could list you some good ones if you wished me to.

Also, you may want to look at a chorus, phaser, delay and a wah (once again, if you want a list of some good ones, tell me) for effects, as they were the most common of the time and fit what you describe to me now.

As you can see, my guitar and amp choice is all about clean tone. So I'm thinking my pedals are gonna have to make up the lost ground.

if you could pm or post me a list with pro's and cons, that would legendary
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by R.D at Apr 8, 2008,
In Australia, JCM900 heads go for about $800-1000. You might be able to get one cheaper if you check around and wait
people - he's looking for more of a 1970s sort of heavy rock sound by the looks of things, in which case, around that time they didn't have these hi-gain amps, the only way to get distortion out of an amp on its own was to crank it - but since that was just TOO loud, most people used overdrive or distortion pedals instead.

So i'd say go for something like an EHX Big Muff Pi for fuzz/distortion and an Ibanez TS-808 for overdrive. For some reason I can picture these and a '75 bassman working well for most of the bands you listed, just not entirely sure about metallica tones from them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Pics of gear or I declare shenanigans.
Quote by imgooley
Pics of gear or I declare shenanigans.

Mkay, when i get my camera working, i'll upload pics (sofwear is stuffed, aint Kodak lousy)

can give you pics of them sitting in the shops i bought them from.

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by Blompcube
people - he's looking for more of a 1970s sort of heavy rock sound by the looks of things, in which case, around that time they didn't have these hi-gain amps, the only way to get distortion out of an amp on its own was to crank it - but since that was just TOO loud, most people used overdrive or distortion pedals instead.

So i'd say go for something like an EHX Big Muff Pi for fuzz/distortion and an Ibanez TS-808 for overdrive. For some reason I can picture these and a '75 bassman working well for most of the bands you listed, just not entirely sure about metallica tones from them.

WOOW, now were talking, like the sound of an 808 with the bassman
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by R.D
WOOW, now were talking, like the sound of an 808 with the bassman

I'd say that'd be a good move, too.

The Muff may work. I love mine (an older green Sovtek model), but I don't know if it'll give you the sound you're looking for.

For Wishbone Ash stuff I think a delay pedal would be really good to get. Just as a rule, I'd say don't put a reverb unit in your rig as it muddies the sound.

But about your Bassman... does it stay clean when cranked like a Twin Reverb? I'm curious as these are selling for great prices right now, but I've never played through one.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Well mines clean all the way to 10 but when you overdrive it it screams like a huge amp breaking up.

I dont have the original tubes, 6550's aparently give them more headroom. so with the orig tubes (6L6's) i think they'd break up a little earlier. hope i helped
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by R.D
Well mines clean all the way to 10 but when you overdrive it it screams like a huge amp breaking up.

I dont have the original tubes, 6550's aparently give them more headroom. so with the orig tubes (6L6's) i think they'd break up a little earlier. hope i helped

Awesome, thanks a lot.
Hey, I'm Mike.