Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new guitar and i need something that is incredibly versatile. Something that could handle country to jazz to metal. Any suggestions? My price range is abouts £350 or $700. Cheers for the help.
Telecaster.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
gibson les paul, fender strat, fender telecaster
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
HSS Strat
I'm sorry but I disagree with those above...strats are great, but they can't play everything, I dunno what specifically to say you should consider, but you should test them out for yourself if you have a local music store that lets you try things out...or some other means....I'm afraid it's another thing thats more sorta personal preference. Anyway, this is just my opinion. Hope you get the right axe for you.
Cool, any particular models i should stay clear from? I was thinking perhaps a lite ash tele or a baja. Also i don't really have an amp as such >.> I was thinking about getting an amp simulator like a pod or something, any opinions on them or which to get?
I would say you're looking for something with an H-S-S layout. I'm not too familiar with guitars in that setting besides the Fat Strat. A better bet would be to look at the H-S-H Ibanez's or something along those lines and put a coil-split on the neck humbucker, although i'm not a huge fan of their single coil sounds.
Epiphone G-400
With that much funds take a look at the Epiphone G-400 Custom with tremolo
Has 3 Humbuckers XP
2 guitars would be better. Save up, work or beg. What amp do you have? You need a good amp before a new guitar is considered.

Your best bet off the mark would be a Strat, or an Epi Les Paul, but then the Strat will lack in the Jazz department what the Les Paul will lack in the country department. Unfortunately (OR NOT SO) there isn't a cure all guitar.
It'd be tough to get metal sounds out of a telecaster without some kind of effects. It'll get you country and it'll do jazz alright, but metal is what i'm more afraid of. I love teles but they have a really punchy sound to me that doesn't jive well with metal.
Damn >.> Well my amp is soooo bad its not evening worth mentioning it in order to save myself embarrassment. Its just some rubbish unbranded 15w. Which is why i was think amp simulator like v-amp or something. I'm not gigging at the moment so the amp can hold. Would the tele only not handle like proper Br00talz metal? If so i can live with that
With your budget you're not going to get a guitar that does everything, but I'd seriously be considering the Washburn X50 Pro simply because it's such good value.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531

It'll do metal and rock easily, but at the same time the Custom Custom isn't too hot to clean up for lower gain tones. The 59 at the neck is a great neck pickup and will cover a multitude of styles. It's not going to do stratty sounds, but if you take it to a tech and get it modded for series/parallel switching it'll up the versatility even more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Highway one HSS strats are nice, most guitars can play anything given the right pick ups... For example, Iron Maiden or Yngwie Malmsteen use strats made for metal. However in my opinion its either HSS or HSH for versatility, I'd get coil tapping installed for more versatility in the future.(The ability to switch from HSH or HSS to SSS)
You can also try some S series Ibanez's,their pretty alright and have a good tremolo if your looking for one.The option I hear most people choose is either a Tele or strat for cleans and a Les Paul,Grestch or Ibanez for heavier stuff.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
If I were you I'd either get an Epiphone G-400 or something good with H-S-S pickup layout, and spend the rest of my budget on a very good amp. Seeing that your current amp is horrible, even the best guitars wouldn't sound good on it. Most of the sound comes from your amp, not from your guitar.

Peace :]
a godin freeway floyd if u can, covers all my bases
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Some can be versatile on distortion side, some can be versatile on clean side and some right in the middle, but is there a guitar which is versatile for everything? No I think not.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

M8, do yourself a favour, bite the bullet, save up another 700 bucks and buy yourself 70/80's gibson rd. In the long run you'll save yourself a heap because you wont have to upgrade guitars every year. A beat up one will go on ebay for about $1500us, best tone control, 2 humbuckers,and you just cant go past the built in compression/expansion/bright mode.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
NONE....I REPEAT... NONE of the guitars mentioned above will accomplish what you are asking for. Some will do a bit of your requirements... but not all of what you want if you just leave them with a stock set up.

I would tell you to get any humbucking guitar that felt comfortable.... and Epi LP or a Korean made PRS..... both of those will put you out 400-500 dollar. Then invest in better pick ups along with a coil tap switch for both of the pickups... NOT a single switch, but one that will tap only the neck, and one that will tap only the bridge (This can be accomplished by having a push/pull switch installed on both the tone and the volume knobs)... and have a 3 way toggle. Pick ups will cost you up to 200 dollars... and the installation of the new system between 60 and 80... which puts you a little bit over budget... but I think in your situation it will be VERY worth it.

As for pickups... I would say stay away from any active pick up... shop around for some, but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction on pick ups. I have a similar set up as described above.... I use PRS pick ups.... for a time I used Dragon II's, but the output was a bit much so I went back to the HFS and Vintage bass for more versatility in tone.

With this set up you will literally have 8 different tonal choices from your guitar, humbucking and single coil options, twangy to jazzy, to metal...etc etc....

No ONE guitar with out this type of system will give you the versatility you are asking for.

Hope that helps.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
A Fender HSS Strat definitely comes to mind.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I'd have to say, of the classics:

Fender HSS/SSS strat
Fender 72' telecaster custom
Les Paul P90'd

though really, I'd look into a godin or some other lesser known brands for the best versatility
Quote by brianthemayan
NONE....I REPEAT... NONE of the guitars mentioned above will accomplish what you are asking for. Some will do a bit of your requirements... but not all of what you want if you just leave them with a stock set up.

I would tell you to get any humbucking guitar that felt comfortable.... and Epi LP or a Korean made PRS..... both of those will put you out 400-500 dollar. Then invest in better pick ups along with a coil tap switch for both of the pickups... NOT a single switch, but one that will tap only the neck, and one that will tap only the bridge (This can be accomplished by having a push/pull switch installed on both the tone and the volume knobs)... and have a 3 way toggle. Pick ups will cost you up to 200 dollars... and the installation of the new system between 60 and 80... which puts you a little bit over budget... but I think in your situation it will be VERY worth it.

As for pickups... I would say stay away from any active pick up... shop around for some, but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction on pick ups. I have a similar set up as described above.... I use PRS pick ups.... for a time I used Dragon II's, but the output was a bit much so I went back to the HFS and Vintage bass for more versatility in tone.

With this set up you will literally have 8 different tonal choices from your guitar, humbucking and single coil options, twangy to jazzy, to metal...etc etc....

No ONE guitar with out this type of system will give you the versatility you are asking for.

Hope that helps.

You just told him to do exactly what I told him to do with the X50 pro

The Washburn is more than capable of covering all the bases for him.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 9, 2008,
OK well cheers for the help guys and defiantly take it all on board. So any suggestions on which pick-ups to go for then? If i'm going to be clearing out the guitar, is it not worth me getting like a tele or something?
I've had my Epiphone G-400 over a week now, and so far it has served me well.

I think it's pretty versatile, i've played anything from blues to speed metal, so i would totally reccomend it if you're looking for a versatile guitar, however i believe this guitar suits classic rock and hard rock the most.
Quote by country_juggler
OK well cheers for the help guys and defiantly take it all on board. So any suggestions on which pick-ups to go for then? If i'm going to be clearing out the guitar, is it not worth me getting like a tele or something?

Like I said, get the Washburn x50 Pro - it already comes with Duncans which would set you back £150 on their own in the UK.

Don't worry about replacing pickups, if you can find a guitar with branded pickups that's in your budget then so much the better but you don't necessarily have to replace them just because everyone tells you to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Not to get defensive on my opinion or anything, but I was under the impression that humbuckers turned into single coils wouldn't, generally speaking, sound as 'good as true single coils. Is there any truth in that or am I just talking out of my ass? which is highly possible.
Quote by steven seagull
With your budget you're not going to get a guitar that does everything, but I'd seriously be considering the Washburn X50 Pro simply because it's such good value.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531

It'll do metal and rock easily, but at the same time the Custom Custom isn't too hot to clean up for lower gain tones. The 59 at the neck is a great neck pickup and will cover a multitude of styles. It's not going to do stratty sounds, but if you take it to a tech and get it modded for series/parallel switching it'll up the versatility even more.

+1
Quote by Revhain
Not to get defensive on my opinion or anything, but I was under the impression that humbuckers turned into single coils wouldn't, generally speaking, sound as 'good as true single coils. Is there any truth in that or am I just talking out of my ass? which is highly possible.

They don't sound as good - I prefer series/parallel switching on twin humbuckers. However, for HSS or HSH you're better off splitting the coils for combining with the middle single IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
You just told him to do exactly what I told him to do with the X50 pro

The Washburn is more than capable of covering all the bases for him.

[EDIT] woah, just seen you other posts...you're a complete tool What makes your opinion so much more valid than everyone elses, sparky?

*reported*

yea... you're right.... I was quite drunk and feeling surly yesterday... not an excuse but I can recognize that I acted like an a-hole. apologies to those that I hastily acted like an ass to. Offending posts have been deleted.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Apr 9, 2008,
post likewise edited
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They don't sound as good - I prefer series/parallel switching on twin humbuckers. However, for HSS or HSH you're better off splitting the coils for combining with the middle single IMO.

maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble reading your post :s don't get mad at me, but could you perhaps say it differently?
What I have done (and am smitten with) is: Buy a mexican strat (£250) and a buy a set of red, blue and silver lace sensors (£90). They are so versatile and give me any sound I am looking for. Have a look at them
Are there any articles on lace sensors? Also i want to be able to behind the nut bend andi don't know where strats are capable of this. Any ideas?
http://switchmusic.com/guitar_view.aspx?start=true

Any of those guitars that say sre made from vibracell...

It's not wood. Its some ultrafancy high tech plastic thing. I own one. They have good sustain, but mine is an old version of the wild IV. It's only got one humbucker. Best part is is that theyre very cheap.

You can also bend behind the nut.. I do it all the time. They got nice grover tuners so they stay in tune pretty well
I say esquire.

It forces you to play with versatility instead of re-arranging your gear

plus they sound killer.
I'd say one of these Brian May Red Specials should come pretty close.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VMe77-zowK8

^That video never fails to amaze me.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Page 1 of 2