Hey guys, I need some serious opinions. I have a JCM2000 dsl100. I am thinking about selling it and getting one of these amps. I am looking for a Slash like tone.

I cant find any Slash signature models(2555sl) or any Jubilee's. I have been hearing good and bad things about the vintage modern. I know he uses this along with his signature 2555sl.

I haven't heard much on the re-issue JCM800 2203. Nobody has these in stock, so I wont be able to try it.

I am tossed up between getting a original JCM800, the re-issue or a vintage modern.

Can I get some opinions as to which way I should go? If anyone has one of these or has used one can you please tell me what you thought about it, and why?

Thanks.
May I ask why not the re-issue JCM800? I really would like to buy new, but if there is a big difference in sound, I would go for the original.

I want to know what ppl think about these.

Thanks.
The original is cheaper and uses better quality components, the new ones are a rip-off. Maybe check out orange amps too? I think they sound a little better than marshalls and they are higher quality
if you are not in a hurry just wait and keep looking on ebay, you will find either a slash sig or a jubilee at some point, i wouldnt go for the vm, i thought about it before but iv seen quite a few people say they dont like it even on the marshall forum
^I remember I wanted to try the VM, it was at the time I was about to sell my Plexi and it seemed like an awesome replacement. It was supposed to go back to the routes. Problem was it wasn't good at all. It was way too hard to get a good sound, either you didn't have any gain at all, or it was too much. It was always too much for classic rock, but never enough for anything else.

Quote by ninja23
May I ask why not the re-issue JCM800? I really would like to buy new, but if there is a big difference in sound, I would go for the original.

I want to know what ppl think about these.

Thanks.

Because Marshalls can't do reissues for sh*t. They don't use original parts, incorrect transformers, schematic changes and so on.

The original is FAAAAAR superior to the reissue.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Vintage Moderns are really good.
Great, thick distorted tones, nice crunchy drive, and not-to-bad cleans.
JCM800's are amazing.
Great overdrive, (with a boost) AMAZING distortions, and once again, not-to-bad cleans.
But once again, I feel the need to preach alternate brands.
I got a Laney GH50L, and it sounds great.
I can from a nice clean, to a Skynyrd Crunch, to a Deep Purple drive, GNR distortion, through to a brutal metal tone, and everything in between.
I love 'em, and I suggest you try one out too.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Looks like there will always be debate on the VM.

Is the re-issue really that bad, I figured for $2000 it has to be decent.

If I do go for a used 800, What are the chances there will be something wrong with it? I mean how often do the other components go, besides the tubes? Is this really something you would trust buying from E-Bay?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.
Re-issues are weak at best. Not even close in my opinion. If you're handy with you guitar's Tone and Volume knob....(not that many people use this effectively anymore)..... then I think the Vintage Modern is the Best Marshall has put out in Ages.

I heard the Marshall rep demo one at a boutique shop here in Atlanta about 6 months ago and it rocked.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
^ +1 for the Vintage Modern. It's the best Marshall I've played since the JCM800.

Yes, it's more difficult and you have to play more with the knobs to get a great sound, but definitely it can sound as good as the JCM but with far more range. Well, at least I liked it quite a lot when I tried it.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Why does the VM suck? It's overpriced! Compare it to an amp that gives you a similar, vintage/modern tone:
The Orange Rocker 30
The Orange is WAAAAAAAAYYYY ahead of the VM. I asked my bassist what he thought of the VM (and we tried it out in a "locked" room at a guitar store for QUTIE some time) what he though he said:
Sounds like a Rocker 30 but worse.

And I HATE Marshall saying that VM is dependent on dynamics. Do you know one thing? EVERY TUBE AMP IS!

Marshall are really pr*cks with that add. It's like they made a new invention, to get cleans you roll down the volume on the guitar and control it with the dynamics. Wow, every tube amp is like that. Heck my Orange is MORE responsive than the VM. The VM is actually quite unrepsonsive to this and not at all that repsonsive to dynamics.

Secondly turning a bit more on the knobs. Why do I find this as a problem? Well generally an amp with as few controls should take about 5 seconds to get a good sound. The VM doesn't get this. Why? Well the two preamp controls. It's supposed to be similar to how a jumped Plexi works. The thing is just that the Detal/Body are WAY too much on their side of the spectrum. If you have only detail you get a fizzy tone, with WAY too much treble. With only body it's muddy as hell. But how is it on a Plexi? If you run the High Treble on full it sounds like Van Halen. With the normal, bassy channel you get Eric Clapton's late Cream tone. And it takes you hours to get the tone not be fizzy or muddy. When you do get it, there's not enough gain for classic rock or too much for classic rock.

Basically the Vintage Modern is sh*t because everything that was going to make it good is what makes it bad more or less.

Also when you say you can get it to sound as good as JCM well, for the price, you CAN GET THE JCM!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Apr 8, 2008,
Absolutely, get an original '800.

The Vintage/Modern I consider to be a piece of crap, severely lacking in depth and sounds totally lifeless except at really high volume...more so even than most other Marshalls. And that's before we even get to the hideous 'purple' tolex.
+1 to Gabe.

As the old saying goes "The best Marshall is an Orange"
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info.

Am I stupid for getting rid of my brand new JCM2000 dsl100 to get a 20 year old amp that ppl have beat the crap out of for 2 decades? I like my amp but it doesn't do that good of a job with 80's rock G&R stuff. Will it sound a LOT different, or just a little better?

I have never had the pleasure of actually hearing one in person. But I am nervous of buying something that old and fragile from someone I don't know.
Thanks, I wish I knew all this stuff before I bought it. Now I know why ppl say to learn to play first then get good gear.

I bought my Ibanez RG prestige a month after I started playing. Then I got this amp about a month after that. I don't like the guitar anymore, so I'm selling it. I bout a Epi LP that I love. Now I will have to take a loss on my JCM2000 too.

I guess it will all be worth it in the end.

Thanks.
Quote by ninja23

Am I stupid for getting rid of my brand new JCM2000 dsl100 to get a 20 year old amp that ppl have beat the crap out of for 2 decades?

Nope rahter the opposite.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

dude get a VM. i got one and love it, i dont think its hard to get slash tones at all, and usually when i tweek it it just gets better. and another thing i like about it is the cleans are a little dirty, so if you tweek the volume on your guitar just a little bit it sounds like an overdriven clean and i personally think its great. i havent played the 800 alot but if i were you i would go with the VM. plus is a sweet blueish color so it will be a little different than the all black that everybody else has
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by ninja23

Am I stupid for getting rid of my brand new JCM2000 dsl100 to get a 20 year old amp that ppl have beat the crap out of for 2 decades?

Yes.

Selling a perfectly good amp, to buy a beaten up old secondhand one that sounds a bit better? To a non-guitarist that'd make no sense, it defies all logic (I guess that's the same reason I can't comprehend why women need £120 hair straighteners when they could get a pair from Woolworths for £20). But for musicians it's a way of life, and I guarantee you'll be pleased with your purchase.

That's half the fun.
HeH

I'm so confused. I don't think I can find an old JCM800 to try out. Nobody around me stocks the VM. I will have to wait for someone close to get one in a store to try out. I don't think it will happen soon. My local GC had one, got rid of it and didn't get anymore because they weren't selling.

So I am stuck between 2 amps I can't try out.

I did find a couple Jubilee's on E-Bay. I don't have that much right now, but how much better are they then the 800's?

Thanks again.
Ideally you'd want one made before '84, but the next best thing (or the best thing) I would say is to get this. Original 1981 specs, hand-wired with excellent quality components, and way cheaper than buying a used one for $1200.

I was in the exact same problem as you. I kept finding deals on old ones but they'd sell like hot cakes and when I asked to come see it, the guy would raise the price. After I bought one though, I liked the Ceriatone version better than the one's I was looking at anyway.

Just take a look into it at least.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
That looks nice, but.... So many questions pop up.

These are new, right? They are not refub's, right?

What makes these better then the re-issue of the 800? What makes them better then the post '84 ones?

Do you own one? If so what do you think of it?

Would I need 1 of everything on that page you linked? Or does the Supplied Pre Assembled JCM800 come with anything? How much would that run?

Sorry for all the questions but it looks interesting.
^No problem. Ok I do own one (in my sig) and i bought mine fully assembled for like $650 USD. Excellent service and just by looking at the circuitry it is top quality stuff and sounds the same, if not better than an early JCM. He makes them on the spot and you can tell Nik to add any extra you want for $15(e.g. effects loop, 1/2 power switch).

Way better way to go I say. I'm not like promoting his business or anything, it's just that I was in your exact position, and this is what satisfied me the most.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
OK I was getting bummed out for a min. I just read they didn't have a FX loop. I would be interested in that and the 1/2 power switch as well. You think it sounds close enough to the original though?

I just priced it up, it was more then $650. Do the complete amps come with a cab? Will this fit and can I get a marshall cab?

Thanks.
LightningRider- If I go under complete amp, does the package #4 come with a cabinet?

Thanks.
Well the original JCM 800 is probably cheaper (used) and I think its what Slash uses so go for it.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by ninja23
Looks like there will always be debate on the VM.

Is the re-issue really that bad, I figured for $2000 it has to be decent.

If I do go for a used 800, What are the chances there will be something wrong with it? I mean how often do the other components go, besides the tubes? Is this really something you would trust buying from E-Bay?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

The reissue is expensive because they're whoring the marshall name even though they use inferior components. I think you can score an original for pretty cheap on ebay. Haven't personally tried a VM but heard horrible things from it. They lose their resale value pretty quick too. I've seen VMs sold for less than 1000 on craigslist so you might want to check it out. At least you won't have to waste a lot of money on a new one cuz' you can always resell used.

If you're a real handiman...you can always try the ceriatone clones. They sound almost exactly the same as the real thing.

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJCM800_2204/BSJCM800_2204Cabinet.htm
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Last edited by omghi2u at Apr 9, 2008,
Thank you all.

I have been looking into ceriatones. I might go that way instead. I just don't know what is required for installation. I know you can have them built already. I would like to put mine together myself.

I am handy with my hands. I have been a mechanic working at a ford dealership for almost 10 years. I have a lot of soldering skills and putting stuff together, but I don't want to screw it up, you know.
Well I didn't buy mine completely assembled, i didn't get the housing (like in the pic) and I think that's why it was $650 but ya it's identical to all of the early 80s JCMs I played and is voiced slightly more as a plexi (a good thing) than most JCMs but doesn't lack balls at all.

And no, it doesn't come with a cab but it comes with a 4, 8, and 16 ohm switch so it can go with leterally any cab.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider

And no, it doesn't come with a cab but it comes with a 4, 8, and 16 ohm switch so it can go with leterally any cab.

I'm sorry I meant the amp cabinet. I e-mailed them and they said it didn't. So it would be $675 plus the amp cabinet $150 = $825 - plus Shipping. I would like to put it together myself but would like to find out how involved it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
If the Vintage Modern is good enough for Paul Gilbert then it should be more than good enough for you.....
well hey man. Slash FREAKING USES THE VINTAGE MODERN all you bashers. not to say its a favorite of mine. BUT HE USES THE DAMN THING SO IT MUST BE GOOD. theres my opinion. half these guys are stupid. re-issues sound just as good as the originals. they are jsut a little brighter.
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn Limited Edition Acoustic
~MARSHALL 1987X REISSUE~
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss Super Overdrive
Original Crybaby
Boss Blues Driver