I just got into this new band and my loudest amp is only 30watts (I dont usually play live)

these guys have set up gigs for average sized bars and some outdoor shows.

my question is, what is a good amp to have to play live with? something that is durable, loud and has a good range for outdoors.

im looking for something around 8o watts and most likely a Randall

EDIT: We mainly play classic rock, everything from the Moody Blues to 38 Special

-LD
Banquo?

X
Last edited by whitetiger4000 at Apr 8, 2008,
it depends if the amp is valve, 30 watts valve is pretty loud....but yeah if youre playing alot of clean stuff a higher wattage valve amp is better.
Dancing In Your Dust
yea it is, but the guys say that i should still get something louder, at least a little bit, maybe a 60watt valve
Banquo?

X
Randall's are sick. Mine are pretty much built for metal, but I have a blues/alt rock band and I get a great tone for that too. You'll be able to find one that fit's your needs for sure, just look around on musician's friend.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
Randall's are sick. Mine are pretty much built for metal, but I have a blues/alt rock band and I get a great tone for that too. You'll be able to find one that fit's your needs for sure, just look around on musician's friend.

i dont know if i can buy things off the internet, but i do have a randall dealer in my city.

what do you have?
Banquo?

X
well i dont really have one, but i dont want to go too high, probably around 500 dollars
Banquo?

X
for the club sized gigs you wont need anything more than 30 watts tube. That'll give you decent clean headroom. My first suggestion would be a Peavey Classic 30, but i'll have to see your budget.
You'd better take my advice, my browser has crashed twice while replying to you!

Quote by whitetiger4000
im looking for something around 8o watts and most likely a Randall

EDIT: We mainly play classic rock, everything from the Moody Blues to 38 Special

Ok, last try...

80W is an oddball number, and Randall is ill-suited for your styles, IMHO. Based on that criteria and your budget, and gonna go out on a limb and guess that you've been looking at SS amps.

So stop doing that.

With $500, you have plenty of cash to get a suitable tube amp on the used market. If you're playing outdoors, I'd stick to the 50W range. Peavey Classic 50's and Fender Hot Rod/Blues DeVilles regularly sell for under $500, and would handle all your gigging needs better than any 80W SS amp. If you need to go new, look into Crate. Check out the V50 at Guitar Center (adding the link crashed me twice, so I'm not doing it this time), it's a 50W tube amp for only $400. Great value for an amp that would do everything you need it to.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.