Hello Everyone,

I've been playing for a year now and started to practice sweeping today, but I have encountered some serious problems.

1. I cant figure out right fingering, if I practice on more then 4 strings or pattern is not just straight line like this one, I don't sweep or just scared to ugly my technique.

--------------12------
----------13----------
------14--------------
--15------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

2.Most common problems as I read on forums... I sometimes let the notes ring as I roll over strings, I guess there are 3 ways of avoiding it

1. Minimize finger pressure
2. Use right hand to palm-mute
3. Use left hands to mute the strings.
but all 3 of them look hard to accomplish, which one is most recommended?

3. Should I get idea of sweeping by starting on 3 strings than by adding strings time by time?

4. Some patterns to start of with fingerings, please.

and finally and most important, I'm really interested how you guys started sweeping, the patterns you used, on metronome or not, just write everything in shortly if you can.

Thanks in advance.
smile
Um well, i started off sweeping just in my room practicing, later on bilo hired me now i sweep there.
Thanks bro, but can you explain a bit in detail how to use left hand to mute or maybe a good video lesson where they explain this?
you just started, you have to take that into account, and anyone critique should also.

you need a combination of all three of your listed techniques.

the arpeggio shown is an inverted minor arpeggio, the root being on C so it's an inverted Cminor arpeggio. I like to play it going back to the minor third then the root and switching major and minor up the neck staying in the same key, playing all 3 string inverted chords.

after you've been practicing for a while, sign up for a guitar lesson for sweeping just to get a couple pointers once you've already built up your own technique
Quote by Nomak1

2.Most common problems as I read on forums... I sometimes let the notes ring as I roll over strings, I guess there are 3 ways of avoiding it

1. Minimize finger pressure
2. Use right hand to palm-mute
3. Use left hands to mute the strings.
but all 3 of them look hard to accomplish, which one is most recommended?

3. Should I get idea of sweeping by starting on 3 strings than by adding strings time by time?

4. Some patterns to start of with fingerings, please.

and finally and most important, I'm really interested how you guys started sweeping, the patterns you used, on metronome or not, just write everything in shortly if you can.

Thanks in advance.

That's why you have to practice.
I recommend you try the "Dream Theater - Glass Prison" first solo at a low speed.
It has a lot of different sweeping shapes.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by nightraven
1. Don't start sweep picking on four strings, it's best to start at three max.
Try a pattern like:

---------10--15----------------
-----13----------13-------------
--12------------------12--------

i think that's how the arpeggio goes. :\

He should start with 3 string shapes but the fingering might be a bit too difficult to start with, I'd recommend the first example in this lesson by Paul Gilbert.

Also, the notes there are G C D, it's not an inverted minor arpeggio as another poster said, more like a Gsus4 if I'm not mistaken.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
I started with 3 string. The minor ones are good ones to start with, I like this one as well:

|-15-12-------------12-15-|
|---------13-----13----------|
|-------------12--------------|
|------------------------------|

Which is just an E phrygian (also could be an E natural minor) then once I got that I started doing ones down the major scale, usually starting with the phrygian:

|--15-12----------12-13-10----------10-12-8----------8-|
|--------13----13----------12----12---------10----10---|
|-----------12----------------12---------------10------|
|------------------------------------------------------|

which just descends down the major scale modes(in this one its C) starting from the Phrygian(E) to the Dorian(D) to the Ionian(C)

From the time I started learning it(not long ago) it didn't take me too long to get to that last example, just take it slow.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Why are you mentioning modes? Those are just triads, no need to worry about modes. What you have listed in your last example is a 2nd inversion of a C major triad, G major, and F major. The root notes are on the 3rd string not the 1st.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
--------------12-15-12-------------
----------15-------------15---------
------14---------------------14-----

tis what i first started... and am currently practicing.
Wait dont leave yet.

I screwed myself up horribly going with patterns ya just showed up there.

I wish I had just grabbed something more useful when training myself to sweep.

Doing this...

--------------12------
----------13----------
------14--------------
--15------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

Is fatal.

Going back now I wished I had just started right from the beginning with a Pentatonic sweep. You will thank me later find a Pentatonic sweeping pattern. Trust me, you are killin yourself using a scale like that.

Besides with most Pentatonic scale positions you can actually fudge 2 strings in the middle cuz they are on the same fret so ya can just bar 2 of them off the bat A: It is easier and B: You wont bash your head in when you attempt to learn sweeps that are actually useful.
Last edited by WickedZero at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by Baasoromyuu
Why are you mentioning modes? Those are just triads, no need to worry about modes. What you have listed in your last example is a 2nd inversion of a C major triad, G major, and F major. The root notes are on the 3rd string not the 1st.

+1.

No need to mention modes, if the chording doesn't imply that mode then you're not working in it. You're just using notes from the C major scale, that's all.
Its easier to tap a sweep for me anyways a good example is on the protest the hero song bloodmeat
If you want songs that can give you an idea of sweeping try Between the Buried and Me's "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" and "White Walls", and maybe "Mordecai".

All three songs have sweeping near the end, I'd recommend Mordecai though because the solo in the other songs are crazy hard.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by Creaz93
--------------12-15-12-------------
----------15-------------15---------
------14---------------------14-----

tis what i first started... and am currently practicing.

this is the best sweep exercise for beginners that i know of, sweeping a D chord above the 12th fret