i know everyone hates on these amps but today iwas playing the little 15w practice amp and i think it sounds fine. whats wrong with them or is it just the biger amps?
people are just idiots that follow what other people say because they don't have their own opinion, i used to have a spider and i thought it was fine
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
I've had experience with 2 - mine and my mates. Used to think they wer okay, but my mates started to go really really scratchy and shreiky. Mine's doing really wierd stuff now - makes a sort of "fwob" sound when I palm mute.
Quote by Burning Star 4
people are just idiots that follow what other people say because they don't have their own opinion, i used to have a spider and i thought it was fine

I played a Spider when I didn't know they were meant to be crap, and I really disliked it. Sounded way to... digital? I don't know, I think it gets made out to be alot worse than it is, but it there are much better amps for the same prices.
the small spiders are fine, until they're turned up, they dont sound great at all. If your a beginner looking for some cool effects and what not then a small spider is good.

Once you get into the larger spider series all your getting is the exact same tone, but louder. For the price of the larger counterparts they are not worth it.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Spiders are good amp for practicing at home buying 150w stack versions of it are just stupid. If you start with a Spider you'll make the natural jump to a tube amp because you can hear the tonal difference.
whats a good amp to get then? if i got a solid state 100w or sumthing big and i had the volume low would its sound bad . are they like tube amps where they sound better loud?
they suck-didaly-uck IMO. I know a kid who's got one and it sounds like sandpaper if you were in the market for a small amp then roland or vox as lefthandman9876 said.
I think people on this forum over-emphasis the flaws of the amp just so the alternatives look way better and they would be more likely to buy them
Their tone is.. fizzy? Digital? Scratchy and tinny?
Well in my opinion anyway.
I heard someone play on the metal setting, and it was just like 'fizz fizz fizz.' Very bad tone in my opinion. You'd definitely be better off with a roland micro cube.
the Spider is not a particularly bad amp, the point however is for the money you can get better.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I've tried the 15, 30, 75, and the 120 watt one. I really wasn't impressed by any of them. They don't sound great turned up anywhere past halfway, and I just don't think they are very useful for most situations.
they're fine for practice.. go used of you can to save yourself some cash.

forget the "it sounds digital" excuse cause guess what.. just about everything you'll listen to has digital something or other... Mp3's, CDs, when you record to a computer.. OH guess what.. you're digital..

acoustic guitar recorded onto a harddisk recorder? DIGITAL
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82

forget the "it sounds digital" excuse cause guess what.. just about everything you'll listen to has digital something or other... Mp3's, CDs, when you record to a computer.. OH guess what.. you're digital..

What? MP3 & CD's are media formats. They are used to store media, and the chance is that media was originally recorded with analogue instruments being played through analogue amplifiers....
is it not a digital format? no less going through a DAC to get its sound to your speakers?
Mp3's are 0 and 1's

bits and bytes!

not to mention that most things these days are mixed down digitally and mastered digitally..
Quote by skynyrd_69
i know everyone hates on these amps but today iwas playing the little 15w practice amp and i think it sounds fine. whats wrong with them or is it just the biger amps?

most of this hate is a bandwagon. but most of the hate bandwagon-ers are correct to an extent, even though they don't know what they are correct about.

basically, for what it is the 15w version isn't bad, its just that the bigger versions of the amp are just slightly louder versions of the 15 watter that don't sound any better, they are just heavier to carry, take up more room, completely impractical, and a lot more expensive. Spiders are better at lower volumes so you don't need the extra volume - they are practice amps, and are actually pretty good for practice, but if you turn them up loud they start to break up in a bad way like any other cheap solid state amp.

Also, imo the Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix are a lot better. The larger Valvetronix amps are even gig-worthy, because they sound quite good at higher volumes too. notice, i said quite good, nothing spectacular.

edit:

Quote by Kivarenn82

I know modern music is mastered onto a digital format these days, but analog gear will still sound better, even when recorded onto digital stuff. For example, you might say its completely pointless to record onto tape in a modern studio when the recording is going to be mastered onto a CD anyway, but theres a reason people do it - the end result just sounds better. the same goes for amps, FX pedals, etc.

Since the a modelling amp tries to emulate the sound of an amp with a different speaker, different cabinet, different components etc. to the speaker and stuff that the amp has, it just isn't going to sound as natural as an amp that actually has these components where the sound that comes out is how the amp physically sounds (analogue). No matter how good the modelling technology is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 8, 2008,
"I know modern music is mastered onto a digital format these days, but analog gear will still sound better, even when recorded onto digital stuff. For example, you might say its completely pointless to record onto tape in a modern studio when the recording is going to be mastered onto a CD anyway, but theres a reason people do it - the end result just sounds better. the same goes for amps, FX pedals, etc.

Since the a modelling amp tries to emulate the sound of an amp with a different speaker, different cabinet, different components etc. to the speaker and stuff that the amp has, it just isn't going to sound as natural as an amp that actually has these components where the sound that comes out is how the amp physically sounds (analogue). No matter how good the modelling technology is."

some good well thought out points. and proves the point as to why spiders and the like are less than poor amps.

but it just cheeses me off everytime someone uses the "sounds digital" argument. It doesn't mean anything and things that are digital can still sound fantastic.

it'd be like complaining about an acoustic sounding TOO acoustic-y
As far as SS practice amps are concerned, in my opinion I've seen that Peavey > Vox > Line 6 > Cube > MG.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments