I understand that an arpeggio is a broken up chord with the notes played in succession, so when people say i can play arpeggios what do they mean and what are they used for?

thanks
An arpeggio is a broken up scale. The arpeggio you're talking about it a spread chord. This means that yes, you play the notes of the chord one after another in succession. Typically the intervals will be Root-5th-Octave.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Typically the intervals will be Root-5th-Octave.

Isn't that just a power chord? I don't see power chord arpeggios too often. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Isn't that just a power chord? I don't see power chord arpeggios too often. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Yeah most arpeggios (at least what I'm used to seeing) are the basic major, minor, or diminished apreggios. The major arpeggio is made up of any multiples of the root, major 3rd, perfect 5th. I think they can even be in any order. The minor arpeggio is the same but made of the root, minor 3rd, and perfect 5th. And the diminished is made of the root, minor 3rd, and flatted 5th.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.