Hi, I've been playing for 4 years and have recently noticed a 'problem' in my technique. When playing any of the pentatonic positions I have to start them with an up-pick if I actually want to play them fast, for some reason the same isn't true for when I pick other scales such as the major modes. Do you think this is something I need to remedy by re-learning the pentatonic scales or do you think this is something that is ok to do?
Cheers, Josh
Just do it the painful way and re-learn the pentatonics. I had to do the same with a lot of my scales because I automatically used economy picking, so I learnt reverse from most people. I learnt economy then alternate.
Who said there was something wrong with it? If it works for you, don't change it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Hey, if it works...go for it all the way. The other day somebody told me that i pick wrong(i hold the pick between my fingertips of thumb and index, Ive been doing it this way for 6 years). He said that I should bend my index and hold it further back on the finger....?**** off
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
When I try to alternate pick, I do economy instead, do you think I should learn alternate before i learn economy? Why doesn't you learn economy instead of alternate, is it somethin' you can't do with economy picking that you must alternate pick?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
When I try to alternate pick, I do economy instead, do you think I should learn alternate before i learn economy? Why doesn't you learn economy instead of alternate, is it somethin' you can't do with economy picking that you must alternate pick?

In some situations economy is better.. sometimes you really can't use anything other than alternate. Like when you're string skipping back and forth.. that's altpicking, can't really get around it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!