Well I'm looking to start a band (There are plenty of drummers and guitarists in my class so it shouldn't be to hard) and i was wondering what i would have to do to organize a big school concert/battle of the bands type thing?

There are two bands i know for sure that would join, theres a few girls who could sing something and I'm sure i could convince a few people to join.

So what will i have to do to organize this? Should i charge admission and share the money we make between the the bands/acts? Should we see if we can get some fliers or something up? I'm not really sure how we should advertise this so all suggestions are welcome.

PS: I wasn't sure were to post this so if its in the wrong section just tell me and i will delete this
Quote by crazymnm
Talk to the bigwigs in the music department.

We have a ****ty music department... Last concert we had about 30 people showed up and the school took all the money and it was in a tiny room (It was also poorly advertised). I want to do this in the gym (biggest room in the school) and i want the people who are preforming to get at least something.
1. posters round the school for auditions
2. posters announcing line up, date, entry fee - to cover a decent sound guy/system
3. Put the show on with technical help so it doesn't sound like ass
4. Make sure you get support from someone who actually thinks it's a good idea too
Quote by Olap
1. posters round the school for auditions
2. posters announcing line up, date, entry fee - to cover a decent sound guy/system
3. Put the show on with technical help so it doesn't sound like ass
4. Make sure you get support from someone who actually thinks it's a good idea too

Well i have a HUGE amp and i don't mind letting other people using it. the main problem is renting gear.

amps, sound desk thingy and microphones.

the school has these things but its all either ****ed or really crap quality.

I'm sure one of the singers could lend us a microphone or one of the guitarists could let us use there amp but the sound desk is gonna be a pain. Is it really that important?
yes, it is.
to have a concert.
you need a PA, mics, soundguy, amps, guitars, drums etc.
you will need to work out if guitars and or drums are miced.
you need the mic's (however many) if micing drums you will need at least 4. (it can be done)
you will need to plan this, get the bands to do maybe a 20 minute set each, or 30?
it all needs alot of organisation and help from people who know what they are doing, not just you.
you need a PA system.
this is if you want it all to sound good and go well.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by the_poison125
We have a ****ty music department... Last concert we had about 30 people showed up and the school took all the money and it was in a tiny room (It was also poorly advertised). I want to do this in the gym (biggest room in the school) and i want the people who are preforming to get at least something.

You really are not expecting to be payed for a school gig are you?
Quote by b00m_
yes, it is.
to have a concert.
you need a PA, mics, soundguy, amps, guitars, drums etc.
you will need to work out if guitars and or drums are miced.
you need the mic's (however many) if micing drums you will need at least 4. (it can be done)
you will need to plan this, get the bands to do maybe a 20 minute set each, or 30?
it all needs alot of organisation and help from people who know what they are doing, not just you.
you need a PA system.
this is if you want it all to sound good and go well.

If it's a small venue you can get away with not micing the drums
Quote by Ripper_66
You really are not expecting to be payed for a school gig are you?

no i don't mean much but i was wondering if we should charge people to see it and share whatever we make with the bands?

Oh and we wont have to mic the drums/guitars
well seeing as though you aren't micing drums or guitars, get a PA with some decent speakers and an sm58 mic or something for the vox. do a proper soundcheck to make sure the levels are right and make sure you have a few mates helping you out, well maybe like, a crew of mates to bring the gear in and out.
advertise in your school bulletin or something.
get alot of bands to play a twenty minute set each.
make sure yo hear the bands play before you say they can play at your concert. make sure everythign is organised. dont make people pay, you wont get anyone to come that way. have a donations jar.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by the_poison125
no i don't mean much but i was wondering if we should charge people to see it and share whatever we make with the bands?

Oh and we wont have to mic the drums/guitars

I'm fairly sure the school will want the money you make...
First you need to actually find out if your school will let you.
I like my coffee black, just like my metal.
Quote by Maurauth
First you need to actually find out if your school will let you.

Thats what i was wondering. I will ask the drama and the music teachers tomorrow about it and see if they will let me.
If you find out first how much it'll cost and get a list of bands who will play, and a sizable ammount of people who will go, and try to suggest to the teachers that it could get the school into your local paper, and show off how good your school is for artistic/musical things etc. All that sort of stuff will help to persuade them.

If in doubt, guerilla gig on the school field!
I like my coffee black, just like my metal.