So, in about 2 months, I will have to go audition for a school to go study music. It's my absolute passion and I don't see myself doing anything but this. But that's not the case right now. I need to think of songs to play.

I'm gonna play two songs, and I had Local Hero by the Dire Straits in my mind first. But I think I might play Classical Gas instead. Beautiful song and bit more technical as well. I figure that next to playing a straight-forward cover, I should do something improvisational. I'm a big fan of blues, and I've been playing it for a while now, so I was thinking of some sweet up tempo blues, with some aggressive, in your face, SCREAMING solo in it, improvised. I had Pride & Joy by SRV, and Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode in my mind. Both lend for some sweet improvs.

What do you guys think? Any input is really welcome. I'm definitely not a shredder or anything, but on the technical side of playing, I CAN get some speedy-ass licks going. I don't just wanna play something impressive only because it's technical - I wanna play some sweet tunes, and I wanna do it perfectly, instead of something out of my reach and doing it half-assed. I figure they won't really be impressed because they've seen plenty of guitarists shredding probably.

Again, any help is really appreciated. I'm ****ting bricks for this audition and I could use some more opinions.
I would suggest learning one more song, unless you still haven't learned Classical Gas, because 2 songs won't show everything you can do with the guitar. You could take some jazz song or something for the third song. Just make a contrast between the styles of songs you will be playing. Also brush up your scale and chord knowledge, because they might ask you to play some specific scale or chord. Try to be ready for anything they can throw at you. And, of course, good luck, mate ;] By the way, I am auditioning for a music college also this year ;]
Quote by UNIe
I would suggest learning one more song, unless you still haven't learned Classical Gas, because 2 songs won't show everything you can do with the guitar. You could take some jazz song or something for the third song. Just make a contrast between the styles of songs you will be playing. Also brush up your scale and chord knowledge, because they might ask you to play some specific scale or chord. Try to be ready for anything they can throw at you. And, of course, good luck, mate ;] By the way, I am auditioning for a music college also this year ;]

Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

I'ts been a while since I've played Classical Gas, but i've got the time to nail it down perfectly now. What do you figure I should play more? Something hard rock/metal? I also was thinking about Sultans of Swing, I can play it perfectly, but I dunno if its a good choice.
Last edited by Jehuty at Apr 8, 2008,
To t/s

Most universities and music schools either teach jazz or classical. Remember that. And the main criteria they look for are; sight reading simple things (dont expect satch solo's expect simple jazz standards), improvisation, timing (thus the prepared songs) and basic theoritical knowledge.

Most guys usually stuff up on the improvisation, hows your improvisation?
Well, the thing is. I'm going for Pop/Jazz. So it's not like, a perfectly strict, classical school. You can choose whichever direction you like here. Contemporary music is fine. I'm purely asking about the song choice here - I'm already working on my theory and all.

I'm fairly satisfied about my improvs.
Quote by UNIe
Well, a jazz standard with an improvisation would be ideal. Though you should be able to play different scales on each different chord. That would really show your superiority among other students, if you would do it good.

I have absolutely no experience with jazz, let alone jazz improvisation.
So you figure 2 songs, being Classical Gas and some up-tempo blues, or add a third one? Thanks for all your help by the way, it's good to get a second opinion to make sure I'm going in a proper direction.
No problem, mate. I think you should play 3 songs in total or at least learn to play your original chosen ones perfectly and add a third one as a bonus or something. Because you will be able to show a lot more with 3 songs than 2. It doesn't have to be a huge song, but just something that would show the other best sides of your playing ability.
Well I know it's a laid back sorta school, but I would really stay away from anything with heavy distortion or crazy effects, because even though the curriculum may be less "classical", the instructors are most likely classically-trained and might not appreciate. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been conscious about using distortion/heavy effects when displaying skills or auditioning to accomplished/classically trained musicians over the fear of them deeming me "some punk kid" or something like that you know. Just my two cents. Also, if you know who is auditioning you, look for a biography, maybe they list their tastes , you could do some sucking up.
Quote by one vision
Well I know it's a laid back sorta school, but I would really stay away from anything with heavy distortion or crazy effects, because even though the curriculum may be less "classical", the instructors are most likely classically-trained and might not appreciate. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been conscious about using distortion/heavy effects when displaying skills or auditioning to accomplished/classically trained musicians over the fear of them deeming me "some punk kid" or something like that you know. Just my two cents. Also, if you know who is auditioning you, look for a biography, maybe they list their tastes , you could do some sucking up.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I don't really use massive distortion really, only overdrive, to get some beefy bluesy tone. I never really play metal (love listening to it though )

Thanks for your help.
Brush up on your reading. My guitar teacher is a world class player who teaches at a few highly regraded music programs and he told me that if he was to audition say 30 guitar players, only 5 of them would be proficient on the sight reading part of the audition. They don't accept you to be able to play like a God for these auditions but they do expect everyone to be able to read music because it is a basic skill that everyone should know and if you can do it well, then they can use you in all the different ensembles that would require you to read off a guitar chart rather than waste time teaching you how to read music.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Brush up on your reading. My guitar teacher is a world class player who teaches at a few highly regraded music programs and he told me that if he was to audition say 30 guitar players, only 5 of them would be proficient on the sight reading part of the audition. They don't accept you to be able to play like a God for these auditions but they do expect everyone to be able to read music because it is a basic skill that everyone should know and if you can do it well, then they can use you in all the different ensembles that would require you to read off a guitar chart rather than waste time teaching you how to read music.

That is something i'll be spending time on the next two months. I know my theory (even though I need to expand it just a little bit more, but that's no biggie), I just need to learn how to read standard notation.