View poll results: Epiphone g400 vs ibanez rg321mh
Epiphone g400
37 43%
Ibanez rg321mh
50 57%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
Questions.

1. Budget? Location? Don't just say dollars cus that can mean HK dollars, Canadian dollars... >_>
2. Can you go used?
3. What music styles do you play?
4. What is your current gear?
5. Any particular models (other than the two you have listed) you like?
dont play anything yet lol, Im in england and am looking to spend about £200-£250 the epi is £169 and the ibanez is £179, going to be my first guitar but i dont want to buy something really crappy and i dont like strats. will try to play a bit of metal, rock that kinda stuff
I think the RG is the better choice if your going to play any metal. Its also far easier to play on and will just be a better guitar in general. The G400 will be alot better for jazz and older rock like zepplin and ACDC and stuff. I own a G400 and an Ibanez RG not that same one but I still know what they're like.

Go and try them out, but I think you'll find the RG 321 so much easier to play.
And for an amp I HIGHLY reccomend a Roland Microcube!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Okay so seeing as it is my first guitar i am better off going for the Ibanez for its ease of use right? Lol i love how the poll is 2 - 2 really helpful :P iv been trying to decide which one to get for days now its driving me nuts lol. For the amp i was considering the orange crush micro cos of the built in tuner, size and price or is that not very good?
Ibanez RG321MH, killer beginner guitar.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff

awesome its now 4 - 2 to the ibanez this is really helping so thanks guys, if you someone could recommend a cheap amp and headphones that would be awesome, i was thinking the orange crush micro is that any good? ^^ the micro cube is £65 wheras the orange crush micro is £29 is the micro cube worth the extra? .
Woh!
I've never tried the crush micro but at that price it can't really be that good can it ?
Even though it is an orange...
The microcube slays man, you can get really good metal tones from it and the sound is based on ledgendary amps from over the years.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
The Ibanez and the microcube would be a good choice for a beginner. The orange crush isn't a good amp.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
The Ibanez and the microcube would be a good choice for a beginner. The orange crush isn't a good amp.

+1

Good starter set. I highly recommend this set up!
Quote by howey
Woh!
I've never tried the crush micro but at that price it can't really be that good can it ?
Even though it is an orange...
The microcube slays man, you can get really good metal tones from it and the sound is based on ledgendary amps from over the years.

hmmm it will put me a bit over budget though but perhaps its worth it. Il try and find some reviews on the crush micro and see what i can dig up, my friend plays her gretsch through it and it sounds okay but maybe not so good for metal, the built in tuner is a plus tho
Quote by Madsalty

okay cool dude thanks a lot, anyone know anything about headphones and tuners or will any do?
I have never tried the ibanez, but I have an epiphone G-400 and it is awesome. I loave how it plays...i think it would make a good beginner guitar
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
They'll probably give you a free tuner, strap and a few picks when you got to buy it so don't be to worried about the in built tuner. They'll also lower the price for you, so you may find that you can afford the cube and ibanez. Just walk in the with CASH you have now and basiclly say I was and Ibanez 321MH and a Roland Microcube and I have $xxx what can you do for me?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
They'll probably give you a free tuner, strap and a few picks when you got to buy it so don't be to worried about the in built tuner. They'll also lower the price for you, so you may find that you can afford the cube and ibanez. Just walk in the with CASH you have now and basiclly say I was and Ibanez 321MH and a Roland Microcube and I have $xxx what can you do for me?

would love to but i am getting it online, I havent really looked around the local music shops but i hear most are crappy here or too expensive.
I own both a G-400 and a 321MH. I'll say this for them; I play my G-400 just as much as I play a Gibson SG Goddess I also own. I play the RG321... um... well, almost never actually. The only reason I still have it is because it's an 'okay' guitar to use on occasion, and I like having a super-Strat hanging around tuned down to D Standard (whole step down).

Don't get me wrong. For the money, the RG321MH is a good guitar. I bought it simply as a cheap guitar to mess around with for alternate tunings and such, and for that, it's fine. But then, I'm in a position where I already have many other guitars, and I was never wanting the RG to be a guitar that would get any serious use. I can say it met all my expectations - but that's not saying much...

The G-400 on the other hand, surpassed my expectations quite a way. I originally bought it as a guitar to practise re-finishing on, and it's ended up being one of my main, most used guitars. It's easily worth twice what I paid for it. On the other hand though, I only got such a good one because I'm a total ***** for Epiphone and Gibson instruments, and because I spent a long time hunting out a very good one - Epiphone also let out a lot of bad ones though (their quality control isn't very good). So, if you're a beginner who doesn't know how to spot a good Epi from a bad Epi, or if your only option is to buy online (so you can't try before you buy), then the Epiphone is quite a risk to take; you could easily (and most likely will) end up with a bad one. Generally there is one good Epi for every twelve bad ones - so obviously, it's quite a gamble buying one if you don't know how to/can't fully test it beforehand.

Also bare in mind, the G-400 is a bit more versatile. I would also argue against the 'Ibanez are easier to play' point. Personally I find Epiphone necks far more comfortable to use than Ibanez necks, and depending on the size of your hands and fingers, you may find the 24.75" scale (G-400) easier than 25.5" scale (RG). Really, you need to play both to know which will suit you better.

Overall, for a beginner, I'd say, go for the G-400 if you know you can get your hands on one of the rare good ones. If you don't know you can do that though, then the RG321MH is an alright guitar and worth the money - just don't expect it to blow you away.
well my hands are pretty damn small. And i am shopping online as it will work out cheaper, i have looked at one local shop but they didnt have anything that interested me, mainly stocked just strat copies, I have however held my friends ibanez im not sure which it was exactly but it was an RG model and it felt quite nice
Quote by bokuho
I own both a G-400 and a 321MH. I'll say this for them; I play my G-400 just as much as I play a Gibson SG Goddess I also own. I play the RG321... um... well, almost never actually. The only reason I still have it is because it's an 'okay' guitar to use on occasion, and I like having a super-Strat hanging around tuned down to D Standard (whole step down).

Don't get me wrong. For the money, the RG321MH is a good guitar. I bought it simply as a cheap guitar to mess around with for alternate tunings and such, and for that, it's fine. But then, I'm in a position where I already have many other guitars, and I was never wanting the RG to be a guitar that would get any serious use. I can say it met all my expectations - but that's not saying much...

The G-400 on the other hand, surpassed my expectations quite a way. I originally bought it as a guitar to practise re-finishing on, and it's ended up being one of my main, most used guitars. It's easily worth twice what I paid for it. On the other hand though, I only got such a good one because I'm a total ***** for Epiphone and Gibson instruments, and because I spent a long time hunting out a very good one - Epiphone also let out a lot of bad ones though (their quality control isn't very good). So, if you're a beginner who doesn't know how to spot a good Epi from a bad Epi, or if your only option is to buy online (so you can't try before you buy), then the Epiphone is quite a risk to take; you could easily (and most likely will) end up with a bad one. Generally there is one good Epi for every twelve bad ones - so obviously, it's quite a gamble buying one if you don't know how to/can't fully test it beforehand.

Also bare in mind, the G-400 is a bit more versatile. I would also argue against the 'Ibanez are easier to play' point. Personally I find Epiphone necks far more comfortable to use than Ibanez necks, and depending on the size of your hands and fingers, you may find the 24.75" scale (G-400) easier than 25.5" scale (RG). Really, you need to play both to know which will suit you better.

Overall, for a beginner, I'd say, go for the G-400 if you know you can get your hands on one of the rare good ones. If you don't know you can do that though, then the RG321MH is an alright guitar and worth the money - just don't expect it to blow you away.

Epiphone necks are NOT more comfortable.
Maybe the things you play don't require much moving up and down the fretboard, but for stuff like lamb of god you really do need a thin neck. I also find that painted necks get very sweaty and are hard to move around on after 10 minutes of playing. I can play my RG for hours and still have it feel the same as it did when I first picked it up. Those stock epiphone pickups get very muddy when you start to downtune to. Don't get me wrong I love my G400 but I think an RG would be alot better if your going to be playing any metal and hope play some lead work in the future. You really should go and try these two guitars out man, they're almost complete oppisites lol.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Well the kind of bands i like are, led zep, deftones, soad, korn, HIM, muse, black sabbath... that kinda thing.
The G400s I've tried have had an epic misbalance. INCREDIBLY neck heavy, and the necks were piss poor in quality also. Although I've not played the RG I've played tremolo models and they have very nice necks, but a bad trem, although you won't have that problem.

I've played a Micro-Crush though, and it is ridiculously horrible. Go for the Microcube without a doubt.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The G400s I've tried have had an epic misbalance. INCREDIBLY neck heavy, and the necks were piss poor in quality also. Although I've not played the RG I've played tremolo models and they have very nice necks, but a bad trem, although you won't have that problem.

I've played a Micro-Crush though, and it is ridiculously horrible. Go for the Microcube without a doubt.

okay thanks for that, mighty boosh is awesome
Quote by lwayneio
well my hands are pretty damn small. And i am shopping online as it will work out cheaper, i have looked at one local shop but they didnt have anything that interested me, mainly stocked just strat copies, I have however held my friends ibanez im not sure which it was exactly but it was an RG model and it felt quite nice
If you've got small hands and you've tried an Ibanez neck out before and you liked it, then the answer should be obvious.

Also, if shopping online is your only option, than Epiphone are too risky to try anyway.

Quote by howey
Epiphone necks are NOT more comfortable.
[and more words, edited out to save space]
Ibanez necks are far too thin. If I fully grip an Epi or thicker Gibson neck around the middle frets like a bat, my fingers comfortably reach the low E string, my thumb is able to just about hit the high E string, while my palm is snuggly filled by the rest of the neck. With an Ibanez, my thumb can't make the high E, and my palm feels empty thanks to the crappy 'flat U' neck profile. It feels like just a flat plank of wood.

As for the paint, it's never been an issue for me. Epi make most of their main guitars in 'Faded' versions anyway that come with matte, satin finishes, if you really insist on having one. Both my favourite Epis and Gibsons all have high-gloss necks though, and I can easily and comfortably play them for an hour solid under stage lighting without any stickiness. And don't even get me started on those god-awful jumbo frets the Ibanez has...

And no, I'm not some 'slow' blues player. I mostly do metal and 80's hard rock - and while I won't say the Epi necks are perfect, I've certainly never had any issues with them, and they're better (for me at least) than Ibanez necks.

As I said in my post before - it just depends on who you are. Some people prefer thick necks, some need thin necks.

Quote by MrCarrot
The G400s I've tried have had an epic misbalance. INCREDIBLY neck heavy,
Well, that's Sgs for you. Ever played a Gibson SG? They're even more imbalanced. If you try and hang it on your shoulders without supporting it with your hands, they pretty much always swing with the headstock straight downwards. My SG Goddess is even worse, because the body is made to be even lighter - I've actually tripped over it before because the neck swings down so low
Last edited by bokuho at Apr 8, 2008,
i prefer the look of the epi, but the points made are definetly making me get the ibanez, seems like the safer option. I wasnt aware of epiphones poor quality control and seeing as im buying online that is a big risk. Maybe if i get good and rich I can get a gibson sg one day
I'm sure Epiphone's quality control isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you think about it you only hear about the bad ones because people don't make threads about how nice their G-400 was. If they were really bad you would see people bashing them as much as Marshall MGs or Line 6 Spiders which probably aren't that bad.... but only if you don't have an ear for tone.

With that being said if your hands sweat while you play you might want to think twice about the Epiphone because the back of the neck is finished the same as the body of the guitar. I own a G-400 which I bought sight unseen from my local Guitar Center (had to special order it because of the color) but I don't regret my purchase.It may become sticky for you but I find it only to be somewhat annoying if I'm playing chords such as barre chords. I haven't played the specific Ibanez you are interested in but I disliked the Ibanez' I have played due to the large frets, I found it made playing harder for me.

I suggest you seriously try hard to hunt down one of each guitar for you to try out before you buy one, especially since your buying online.

Good luck with your search.
aw see now im confused again, i think i might just flip a coin both seem to have strengths and weaknesses so it looks like i cant go too wrong with either
Quote by breakstuff

Its much better than a beginner guitar

Ibanez FTW
the ibanez most definitely =)
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by lwayneio
okay cool dude thanks a lot, anyone know anything about headphones and tuners or will any do?

Just buy a cheap chromatic tuner off ebay or something, few quid but really priceless as you will never have to struggle tuning your guitar. Headphones? If your going to headphone your amp i'd recommend some fully closed 'cup' style headphones. Spend a wee bit of money on them and you should have a really nice full sound.

And i'd probably go with the Ibanez, the slimer profile/lighter, neck makes it much easier to play and ibanez are generally more consistant in quality.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by lwayneio
Well the kind of bands i like are, led zep, deftones, soad, korn, HIM, muse, black sabbath... that kinda thing.

then get the g-400 man. i love epiphones, i think they're really well made, so you should get one of them. your list of bands would suit the g-400
hello
I have the RG321MH, it's pretty good.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I actually own both of them guitars and they are both excellent for the price but from looking at the music you play the G400 seems better suited.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
In for amps - The mini crush is a box of ****. I played it in a shop, and switched the thing straight off because it buzzed like mad! (Anyone else, if you've had alternate experiences, please share, I understand that the display model may well have been faulty, so try before you buy...)

Get a micro cube. WELL worth the extra £30ish seriously. V. good amps.
Quote by Mazzakazza
In for amps - The mini crush is a box of ****. I played it in a shop, and switched the thing straight off because it buzzed like mad! (Anyone else, if you've had alternate experiences, please share, I understand that the display model may well have been faulty, so try before you buy...)

Get a micro cube. WELL worth the extra £30ish seriously. V. good amps.

fair enuff, il take ur advice dude. Just wish i could choose the guitar all i have to do is press the buy button lol
Quote by sgboy666
I actually own both of them guitars and they are both excellent for the price but from looking at the music you play the G400 seems better suited.

And would the ibanez not? im getting a headache
Ive never played an Ibanez, but I have and love my G400. I mail ordered mine and ended up with a very nice guitar.....well that is after UPS broke 2 in shipping. If you can, at least try both of these out before you order.

I kind of get the feeling that you really want the Ibanez. Go with your gut and get the guitar that is going to inspire you to play.
My brother has a RG321MH, I have a G-400, so I have lots of access to try each. The RG is nice, but I love my G-400.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Actually the epiphone was the one i first went for the ibanez was a recommendation from a friend as he thinks it will be easier to play and better for a beginner than the epiphone and in the same price range. I orignally wanted the epiphone as the guitarist from HIM plays a gibson sg standard, and they are pretty similar in appearance. But i really just want whateva will be better as a first guitar that will last me a good 1-2 years.
Page 1 of 2