OK everyone,
I'm still quite new to all this and was advised that I should dump my floor stands as wall mounts lessen the chance of a guitar lossing it tuning (I thought that just happened anyway?) due to the neck of the guitar been pulled (forward) by the strings (is that still the case I thought that only happened with very old guitars?).
What's everyone's thoughts?
Last edited by captainflimflam at Apr 8, 2008,
That sounds like a load of bull to me, but I've never really taken the time to study the differences. I have a wall mount and a floor stand, and the main advantage of having it on the wall to me if keeping it out of the way and giving me more floor space. Then again you have to be careful with putting guitars in because it's a long way to fall.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
pfft

all floor stands are different, and even in a wall mount there's te whole guitars weight stretching the neck

the difference between the two is negligable

the amount of tuning loss is negligable

its not that hard to retune a few cents. just dont cheap out and buy a stand which will melt the finish on your guitar
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
It seems more likely that hanging your guitar would have a bigger chance of messing up the tuning.

Just use whatever is more convenient.
whoo! a reply already :>
thanks timi, I'm always a little sceptical when hearing stuff that I know nothing about but doesn't feel like it ssense (would quailty music shops really sell floor stands if they were that bad?)
So I like to do a little homework. It's a bad personality trait of mine

I've found nothing on the net sofar though. Thanks for the heads up though. I had a bad experience with some rowdy mates and a mirror so I'm not keen on wall mounts to be honest. But I'll listen to others views
heheh! thanks guys (no worries Stevo I've got a nice padded stand that probally better than the Electric guitar its holding up) :p
I use both and there's no issue with any of them. Just be careful to properly mount the wallmount because if it breaks or detaches from the wall ... it's a long way down for your guitar.
Hanging them on a wall removes the need for paintings & pictures however
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
The floor stands are alot easier to move if you need it in another room. And doesnt require drilling a hole in the wall. But most stores have guitars hanging on walls and doesnt seem to kill them.
1. if you mount on a wall, get a quality mount and find a stud. or you wont have to worry about tuning, as ur guitar will be in 2 pieces.

2. some high back floor stands, can add preasure to the neck, just like leaning the guitar againt a wall would.

but it shouldnt effect the guitar. unless you leave the lead plugged into the guitar and knock the guitar and stand over as you walk by.

A frame floor stands with a low center of gravity, are my fav floor stands.

but most of my guitars on on the wall.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've been using wall mounts for the past 3 years and I haven't notice any ill effects on my guitars. I would prefer to keep them all in cases but I just don't have the space. I do use a guitar stand but only for temporary use. My guitars stay in tune OK but I usually make adjustments all the time anyway.
Quote by captainflimflam
(would quailty music shops really sell floor stands if they were that bad?)

Yes, they would. As long as they can make money off it...
So cynical, Mr Hankey Thank you all. its been the first time I've used the forum (I've have been using the tab listings for awhile).
Quote by jj1565
1. if you mount on a wall, get a quality mount and find a stud. or you wont have to worry about tuning, as ur guitar will be in 2 pieces.

2. some high back floor stands, can add preasure to the neck, just like leaning the guitar againt a wall would.

but it shouldnt effect the guitar. unless you leave the lead plugged into the guitar and knock the guitar and stand over as you walk by.

+1

As long as they're securely mounted, wall mounts (imo) are the safest way to keep a guitar available and out of the way of everything. Floor stands (again, imo) should only be use to 'temporarily' hold guitars, like during gigs. I have a floor stand next to my computer and will put a guitar there for easy access to pick up and play now and then while I sit there. Once I'm done though, back to the wall the guitar goes. "A" frames are also my favorite because the lower center of gravity makes it more stable, and there's no pressure on the neck whatsoever.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by jj1565

uh oh... you're making me worry

could you give a pic of a high back floor stand, and one of a stand with a low center of gravity ? becuase i'm not sure what you mean, and i could be using a 'bad' stand...
^haha, the high back stands arent bad.
they just tip over easier.
and if you lean the gitar back on the arm, it's bad "guitar posture". if that's even a thing.

hang on let me find a couple of examples.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

this is a nice A-frame guitar stand. tough to topple, long flat legs, able to hold acoustic or electric guitar, folds up for stage use.

this is a stand with arm up to neck. easier to topple the stand, the lock is at the neck so a guitar could tip out of it. and it leans the guitar in its neck. so rubber is touching the guitar's finish, and could be applying pressure.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
this is a nice A-frame guitar stand. tough to topple, long flat legs, able to hold acoustic or electric guitar, folds up for stage use.

wont the guitar fall out of that really easily?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yeah, stevo, they are pretty snug. and ive got one that's made just for electrics, that one hugs it on the front too.
so if you know you just want it for thin bodies then you can look at those models.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Noone has mentioned it (so I will) any long term affects to the neck of an electric guitar if it's been wall hung, given they can be heavier that an acoustic?
i wouldnt worry about it. guitar shops hang guitars. even the $3,000 Gibsons.

the only wear ive ever noticed from any type of stand comes from cheap rubber pressing on the guitar's finish, expecially in warm weather.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by captainflimflam
Mr t VOICE "I aint DOING NO hand stands!" Mr t VOICE

MR T RULES!!!
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by jj1565

this is a stand with arm up to neck. easier to topple the stand, the lock is at the neck so a guitar could tip out of it. and it leans the guitar in its neck. so rubber is touching the guitar's finish, and could be applying pressure.

ahh, what a relief , i'm using the first one.

thanks for the explanation !
i was always told it was better to hang a guitar than keep it on a floor stand. ive had my guitars up there for a long time and the truss rods have never needed adjustment. maybe the weight of the guitar keeps the neck straight while its hanging?
Quote by kurtimoose
i was always told it was better to hang a guitar than keep it on a floor stand. ive had my guitars up there for a long time and the truss rods have never needed adjustment. maybe the weight of the guitar keeps the neck straight while its hanging?

if you're asking a question ...

i suggest you keep the guitars in a humidity controlled room.
hanging it matters less than the environment.

even still, all guitars need a setup from time to time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62