I'm goint to buy a new amp, one of my friends selling an old (from to 70's) Laney Klipp (all tube with 4 preamp tubes and 2 6l6 tubes in the power section) with a custom made 4x12 cab and a Creat Powerblock with the cab... really i can't decide wich one would better
The Laney's distrorsion is terrible (dirty FUZZ like, very low gain) , but the clean sound is beutyfull, a could only try with modellers (for distorded sound) but all sounded horrible (Boss GT-8 and a Korg Ax1500) so far i coudent get a good analog distorsion pedal to try with that. (by rhe way the laney ha 2 separated preamp with to inputs for channel (totally 4 inputs)i upload a picture of this amp.
The Creat Powers block has a decent distorsion.... thats all i can say about it.

Please help me decide witch one to choose (they are in the same price, about 400 euro)

(sorry for my bad english)
Attachments:
laney.jpg
The Laney was terrible?

How old are the valves in the Laney, if you know? The klipps are really, really good amps and if it has decent valves in it'll kick the Crate to the ground and piss in its input jack.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The Laney was terrible?

How old are the valves in the Laney, if you know? The klipps are really, really good amps and if it has decent valves in it'll kick the Crate to the ground and piss in its input jack.

+1 The Klipps are known for being fantastic old amps....

EDIT: Is the Powerblock that tiny thing that's designed to be used with modellers?
The Laney should destroyyyy that...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
The laney has got new tubes about 2 weeks ago, and not the amp was terrible but the distorsion of it.
Quote by HUNYeti
The laney has got new tubes about 2 weeks ago, and not the amp was terrible but the distorsion of it.

Can you tell us what settings you were using and how loud you had it?

Also what kind of distortion were you looking for?

My Music
i tried it on many settings and it was loud (about on half volume)
It's distorsion was kind a Fuzz and is was very muddy, i really don't what distorsion i want but defenetly not this, maybe a good distorrsion pedal could help on this?
can anyone recomend me a good sdistorsion for the laney?
If you choose the crate, i'll beat you up.
But seriously, the reason the disto probably didn't sound good was because you didn't have it loud enough or had it on a bad setting.
What kind of distorted tone were you going for anyways?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Get the Laney - it should absolutely destroy that Crate
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
While the Powerblock is good at what it does (note: most of UG hates what it does), it's really not a good comparison. tTe Laney (even if you don't like it) should command a better resale value than the Crate (which sold new for as low as $50 at times). The Laney is a guitar amp while the Crate is a power amp cleverly disguised as a guitar amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
While the Powerblock is good at what it does (note: most of UG hates what it does), it's really not a good comparison. tTe Laney (even if you don't like it) should command a better resale value than the Crate (which sold new for as low as $50 at times). The Laney is a guitar amp while the Crate is a power amp cleverly disguised as a guitar amp.

+1. Get the Laney and replace the tubes. It would be well worth it unless you have a nice multi effects or preamp to run into the Crate.
I dunno, going by what he's said I'm guessing he wants a modern br00talz amp, which the Klipp certainly is not. So he thinks it's crap because it isn't what he wants.

Looking at a different amp altogether would probably be wise.

My Music
i dont want a brutal overdrive, i want a warm mid-gain overdrive, and i don't think the laney is crap , the clean tone is beutyfull, and by the way i dont have and choice, becouse i cant find another valve amp+cab for this money in my country.