I'm looking to upgrade my amp, as well as my pickups.

So, that being said, I'm coming back from some overseas work with a lot of money, and I'll be getting a little more ($5,000) when my tax refund comes in. I don't want to spend 4 grand on an amp, but I am willing to spend some money to upgrade my Crate GT1200.

I play hard rock/metal and closely mold my band to Metallica. I've been looking into tube amps, obviously, that's the only way to upgrade, and I've been looking at a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but I'm not sure if, at this stage of the band, I need a half-stack anymore, and if I should just go for a 2x12 combo. Or even a combo for any amp you really recommend for rhythm guitar. And, I'm also thinking about changing my pickups on my Schecter Damien-6 (I love this guitar) from its dual passive EMGHZ's to an active EMG81 and EMG60 pickups for a better, more respected rhythm sound. I've also heard about the 81/85 combo. What's the difference, tone wise, between the 81 bridge/60 neck combo, and the 81/85 combo? And, I'm not sure how much the labor would cost for that, if you had any idea.

Thanks for any and all answers.
Anybody have any input? That pertains to the post, of course.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm looking to upgrade my amp, as well as my pickups.

So, that being said, I'm coming back from some overseas work with a lot of money, and I'll be getting a little more ($5,000) when my tax refund comes in. I don't want to spend 4 grand on an amp, but I am willing to spend some money to upgrade my Crate GT1200.

I play hard rock/metal and closely mold my band to Metallica. I've been looking into tube amps, obviously, that's the only way to upgrade, and I've been looking at a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but I'm not sure if, at this stage of the band, I need a half-stack anymore, and if I should just go for a 2x12 combo. Or even a combo for any amp you really recommend for rhythm guitar. And, I'm also thinking about changing my pickups on my Schecter Damien-6 (I love this guitar) from its dual passive EMGHZ's to an active EMG81 and EMG60 pickups for a better, more respected rhythm sound. I've also heard about the 81/85 combo. What's the difference, tone wise, between the 81 bridge/60 neck combo, and the 81/85 combo? And, I'm not sure how much the labor would cost for that, if you had any idea.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Mesa Mark IV head and Standard Rec 2x12. You will be in tone heaven! Or a Mesa RK and the same cab.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
the 2x12 dual rec will be just fine, you don't need a half stack.

and for the emg's, i have an 81/85 setup (the ZW set) and i love it. labor would be a little more than just getting a passive swapped out for another passive, because with active pickups, they require different pots, that come with the pickups.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.