Is there a certain spot I should be trying to get my string on the fretboard like 2 strings above or below the bending string? Thanks
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Hi.

Personnaly, I suggest you use two-finger of the left-hand when you attempt to do a 2's bend. Putting the finger with the most impact on the note you want to bend and another 1 fret above.

It should give you more ...."grip" and strengh to perform the bend.
When you're bending up a tone on the B string, the string should roughly come to the middle of the fretboard on the fret that you're bending up to, but it's better to judge by ear than sight.
ok I think im getting it cause I am not new to guitars, but im self taught and never really got around to bending well, but i am learning the Stairway to Heaven solo and the bends are very important in this solo as I am sure yall know it was not sounding right on the bends ecspecially the fast part. thank you more tips would be helpful as well thank you im going to eat breakfast so if i dont respond right away thanks
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
You can't gauge it physically - you have to let your ears tell you when you've bent the note to the right place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^yep, a good way to practice is to use unison bends. like..

-----------5-------
--5-------8b10---
--7b9-------------
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

The bent note should sound exactly the same as the fretted note one string below. This way you can hear very clearly how accurate your bends are
Quote by steven seagull
You can't gauge it physically - you have to let your ears tell you when you've bent the note to the right place.

I'm sure you can but it would require some advanced mathematics
But indeed, only your ear or a digital tuner can tell if you're bending right.

Just do a slide back and forth 2 frets up the fretboard, then do a bend and try to match the pitch.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Stash Jam
^yep, a good way to practice is to use unison bends. like..

-----------5-------
--5-------8b10---
--7b9-------------
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

The bent note should sound exactly the same as the fretted note one string below. This way you can hear very clearly how accurate your bends are

funnily enough there are some unison bends at the end of stairway
im suprised no one said this. take the fret you're playing on, and going to bend with, and move up two frets, get your ear acustomed to the pitch you need, and then just bend up to the pitch a couple times, try a nice distortion and if you do it enough you can get VERY good vibrato techniques.

PS: make sure you check the pitch you need all of the time, and that you are still in tune. you dont want to be stretching your strings, and machine heads, then thinking you're still in tune.
another thing, if you are planning on improv, or making your own solo, your bends have to be pre meditated. if you, for instance... play a full step bend on the fifth step in a minor scale, you're going to be WAY off key because it would sound like an augmented sixth...

I don't know if that made sense or not, but it's important to know what it is.

personally i dont feel confident with improv because i dont know perfectly where i can go to sound good.

i just need to put more years under my belt

cheers!
Quote by steven seagull

+1
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.