So any of you fellow UGers interseted in the stockmarket? I am extremely interested and I started this thread so people interested can discuss the current situation. I know that this thread is above the intellectual average of threads on UG but I hope this thread will survive.

I believe that we will see a continued fall in the stockmarket. This is because most likely the US has fallen into recession now and we have only seen about a 5% drop in the Dow Jones this year and I believe (correct me if Im wrong) the averege drop in the stockmarket i around 20% during a recession and because most stockmarkets kind of follows the DJ than most other markets will follow suit. Ive also read that american consumers account for 70 % of US' GDP and considering that american consumers' purchasing power has decreased considerably (failing dollar), it can turn very out very badly.

So what are your thoughts? Do you have a portfolio? I dont have a portfolio but am doing some research now for future investments, because i dont think it is lucrative to invest money now considering the state of the market and a looming global recession.

Discuss!
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Invest in China
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by bluesmaster
So any of you fellow UGers interseted in the stockmarket?

Nope. Just guitars and boobs.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by saphrax
I sold my portfolio about 2 years ago. I'm very glad I did now!

If you dont mind me asking, what did you invest in and did you reap any profits?
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Quote by bluesmaster
If you dont mind me asking, what did you invest in and did you reap any profits?

Technically, I didn't invest.

My father did. He invested in BP when I was born. I got control of it when I was 18 and sold it when I was 20 to fund a year around Australia.

As I am relatively private about my finances, I shall not give you figures, but there was a very nice return on the investment.
Quote by bluesmaster
So any of you fellow UGers interseted in the stockmarket? I am extremely interested and I started this thread so people interested can discuss the current situation. I know that this thread is above the intellectual average of threads on UG but I hope this thread will survive.
Discuss!

Starting with an sweeping insult is always a good way to ensure the success of a thread
we already have a stock market thread...

although it was a fake stock market where UG was doing well
Quote by xC0ldBl00dx
Starting with an sweeping insult is always a good way to ensure the success of a thread

haha... well do you disagree?
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Quote by saphrax
I sold my portfolio about 2 years ago. I'm very glad I did now!

your sig 'Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith Lead
im not a vegetarian because i love animals, im a vegetarian cause i hate plants.
'
was said by A. Whitney Brown and by jade pudget of afi. not this guy, just so you know.

ive not invested b4, but i plan on it this year, any tips?
Last edited by theshroomman at Apr 8, 2008,
I have a pension fund through my work that allows me to pick and choose area in which to invest the money but I've never really fiddled about with it, not really the stockmarket, of which I know nothing about anyways. So tips?
Quote by xC0ldBl00dx
first two posts proved your point

haha i guess.

On another note though, i believe it would be wise to invest in commodities such as oil and wheat. Oil because of increased demand and its growing scarcity and wheat because primarily of the growing demand and because of global warming. Now I know that some of you might not believe in global warming and I do not intend to debate about whether or not it is true, but i belive if it is actually it is happening than in the future, wheat will be harder to produce and this would inevitably push up the price.

Quote by xC0ldBl00dx
I have a pension fund through my work that allows me to pick and choose area in which to invest the money but I've never really fiddled about with it, not really the stockmarket, of which I know nothing about anyways. So tips?

well if your not really interested in the stockmarket than i suggest sticking it in a fund and depending on the risk you willing to take you might want to put it in a fund that invests in emerging markets (africa, china, india etc. high risk) or in a lower risk such a normal fund that invests in the US, Europe etc.
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Last edited by bluesmaster at Apr 8, 2008,
Apparently if you invest in the WWE they'll fly you up to Stanford, and give you a tour of the WWE headquarters.

Edit: Invest in tomatoes, they're ****in expensive...
the demand curve shifts to the right and becomes d2 whilst the price goes up and becomes p2.

-failing economics student here-
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
Quote by bluesmaster
haha i guess.

On another note though, i believe it would be wise to invest in commodities such as oil and wheat. Oil because of increased demand and its growing scarcity and wheat because primarily of the growing demand and because of global warming. Now I know that some of you might not believe in global warming and I do not intend to debate about whether or not it is true, but i belive if it is actually it is happening than in the future, wheat will be harder to produce and this would inevitably push up the price.

well if your not really interested in the stockmarket than i suggest sticking it in a fund and depending on the risk you willing to take you might want to put it in a fund that invests in emerging markets (africa, china, india etc. high risk) or in a lower risk such a normal fund that invests in the US, Europe etc.

Interesting. I've been meaning to look at the funds available as when I started it up I never paid much attention and just had the pensions guy put it in normal risk funds
Quote by guitartilldeath
the demand curve shifts to the right and becomes d2 whilst the price goes up and becomes p2.

-failing economics student here-

Quote by theshroomman
your sig 'Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith Lead
im not a vegetarian because i love animals, im a vegetarian cause i hate plants.
'
was said by A. Whitney Brown and by jade pudget of afi. not this guy, just so you know.

ive not invested b4, but i plan on it this year, any tips?

Lol, thanks for the heads up on the quote!

As for tips, well, I can't claim to know anything really! I don't know jack about the stockmarket, just that investing now is risky business due to the "Global Credit Crunch".

Personally, I'd invest in Rockstar Games if I were going to. With the upcoming release of GTA IV, and the fact that EA are interested in buying them (which according to Rockstar, will only happen after GTA IV's release), it may be a good one!
Quote by saphrax
Lol, thanks for the heads up on the quote!

As for tips, well, I can't claim to know anything really! I don't know jack about the stockmarket, just that investing now is risky business due to the "Global Credit Crunch".

Personally, I'd invest in Rockstar Games if I were going to. With the upcoming release of GTA IV, and the fact that EA are interested in buying them (which according to Rockstar, will only happen after GTA IV's release), it may be a good one!

huh, i think i remember reading somewhere that they have already bought rockstar? maybe not, if the havent yet, rockstar is very intersting

(Invalid img)

after a little research i can see that made a bid but take two turned it down, if they make another bid maybe it will jump again (you can see when they made the bid tue to jump in price). EA is now targeting shareholders directly so maybe we wont see another bid...
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Last edited by bluesmaster at Apr 8, 2008,
I wouldn't bother investing in anything with a recession on the horizon. Banks are getting bailed out by governments in the U.S and Europe, housing market shows no sign of improving. If you've got a wedge, tuck it away in savings till the credit crunch passes then you're ready to make a killing once shares are being traded for pennies.
With a recession, I would advise to learn about short-selling; it's the best way to make a profit from stock prices actually falling.
I have stock in Google, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, and various video game publishers/developers, including Activision and Electronic Arts.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Google stock is very expensive though. It is currently averaging about $450 dollars a share. The variance is only about 5 bucks. They aren't gonna fail, but not really a good way to turn a profit. You would have to have a incredible amount of money to make it worthwile.
I just bought 10,000 shares in a ten centper tock compnay, and have set my computer to auto matically sell them all when the shares reach 18 cents each.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*