Hey everyone. I have been looking around for the last couple weeks and just wanted some input. I like to play blues a bit and i like to play some good vintage stuff too (hendrix/led zep/and such). I have a les paul with burstbucker pros in it and a strat with texas specials in it.
I want to get a tube amp that isnt too much, because i dont gig. It is for dorm and home and jamming with some friends. But i still want a great tone. I have been looking at the epi valve junior, the fender blues junior and such, but wanted to know what you all think. I will buy an overdrive pedal with it so it doesnt need to have a great od chanel.
i just wanted some input as to what to buy, size is kind of an issue so if i went the valveking route it would be the 112, (is the vk good as it seems) and i like the fenders, but i am interested in the lower watt tube amps (blackheart and vj).
just let me know what you all think. thanks everone!
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

fender supersonic? might be a little too much. that gives you the best of both worlds though so you might want to look into it.
i have looked into them and like them, but its just too much money. i dont have a set limit but i'm thinking that the blues junior and the valveking are getting to the higher limits of what i can afford to spend. but there is no set number on it.
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

blackheart. period. marshall like. ur playin hendrix and zeppelin soundin' stuff? WE HAVE A WINNER!!! i can easily get that kind of stuff on the blackheart. go try it out man, you'll prolly love it.

and at first i saw ur avatar and short overview of ur post and was like "WTF....i didn't post this.."
cuz i posted somethin a few weeks ago talkin bout needin a new tube amp for dorm room and such lol....i'm sorry it was funny to me cuz for a moment i thought there was a thread of mine i didn't even know about!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
thats crazy dude. but the blackheart, the tube is good? good blues and stuff? works well with 'bumhuckers' and single coils?
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

-Matt

Sláinte

i played both w/ my modded G-400. got some awesome rage against the machine tones, great blues. cleans were really nice and...well...i dunno they were definitely better than boring SS cleans. w/ the overdrive on i got some nice thrashy style metal.

i also played w/ a stock MIM SSS strat. it was really nice too, though i didn't get as much time w/ that one. i didn't even have a pick so you can imagine how the faster playing gets hindered some. but it still performed nicely. i mean w/ just bare bones, this amp has GREAT tone. ur les paul will prolly sound heavenly through it. only thing i'd wanna get with it is some sort of reverb pedal and delay. but that's more for lead purposes.

not to mention the 5 to 3 watt switch is really cool.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Vox AC15 then replace the single 12" with a Celestion Blue Alnico. Dig the guitar choice. But in all honesty..... GREAT Tone costs money. Period. I mean I have an Orange and a Vox...... and they're great amps but are really when it comes down to it "middle road" amps. 15 or 30 watts of class A power is Plenty for just about any application. And the class A amps are more Tone Boutique and they take greater pride in their sound.

Even with an OD pedal I still don't think Fender can do Zep, Hendrix, ect all that well. I mean now if you shell out $400 or $500 for a KOT50 or a custom drive pedal then maybe you'll get the OD sound.

But I've played and owned a handful of high-end boutique pedals and they are always "Thin" compared to a wide open Tube.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
im looking for something that can handle blues well with my texas specials in my strat. do you think it can handle it?
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

-Matt

Sláinte

so you recommend the ac15? i see that they are about 600 new and that is not out of my pricerange and i am sure i can find one on ebay or in a used shop for a little bit cheaper. ill look into that.
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

-Matt

Sláinte

which amp u talkin bout? if it's the blackheart, then yes i would highly think so. but compared to an AC15 which costs TWICE as much...i mean come on...you're payin that extra $300 for a reason...vox IS reputable for beautiful tones.

depends on how much money ur lookin to spend. for $300 bones ur gettin a STEAL really.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yeah ac15's are nice too you might want to check them out and find one used.

but i really think a blackheart would be ideal for your situation, when they realese the new 15W combo it will be all you need, loud and portable. only think you might need to do if your picky is swap out the tubes, but thats cheap.