Page 1 of 2
These guys don't seem to have a thread... despite their latest album being hyped up to hell.

For those who don't know, they started off as melodic death, and incorporated some keyboards. Vocalist Speed started to introduce some clean vocals, and they've had some flak thrown at them because they unfortunately like to follow trends a little. They had a nu-metal influence on Stabbing the Drama, and their newest album Sworn to a Great Divide reeks of the In Flames-ian melodeathcore sort of thing... and a lot of it isn't even particularly heavy. That said, they have always had a good grasp of melody and I enjoy them. Songs to check out could be Bastard Chain, Sworn to a Great Divide or Stabbing the Drama to see what they've been like at various stages of their career. All these songs are in the playlist thing on my profile. To see how they can still pull out melodeath gems, check out Pittsburgh Syndrome on their Myspace.

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/soilwork
Figure number five and Natural born chaos gotta be my 2 fav CDs, rest of the old stuff pwns too tho
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Got to admit that I don't like STAGD apart from the title track or Pittsburgh. Sends me to sleep, it's just ridiculously bland.

I also have to admit I don't actually own anything else
They don't have a thread? That's weird... They are one of the better Swedish bands.
Soilwork is a pretty awesome band. I actually like STAGD. I know a lot of people thought it sucked, but I actually considered it to be a pretty good album.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I just listen to the start of most of the songs and think "Oh, I've heard that on nearly every song already."

If it's a grower, it's a very slow one. I only like the title track and Pittsburgh, I can't actually listen to any of the others the whole way through.

I'm not plugging this band very well really
They're one of those bands I've known about since I started listening to metal but I never got around to.

A few days ago a non-metal friend of said he got some of their songs ( I assume new one, caus he didn't think/realise it was melodeath, as he hates that stuff) and recommended them to me. He also suggested I get some Breaking Benjamin, and Paths by Apocalyptica.

I may just have to convert him though...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
The new Soilwork album strikes me as a good album for someone getting into metal for the first time actually. There are a couple of heavy gems, but a lot of quasi-radio rock.
He used to listen to Metallica when he was younger too...

I tried to get him into power metal (cause he loves fantasy books, RPGs and has a beard) by playing him Vahalla by Blind Guardian on youtube.

I failed miserably.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Stabbing the Drama is very much influenced by nu-metal. That's my impression anyway, and that's probably why you thought of them as such.
what are some of their not as melodic/ nu albums? i wanna try them out on more familiar terms
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Their early stuff, basically. Check out Bastard Chain at the bottom of the playlist on my profile.
Why was I under the impression this band was a shitty nu metal band?
I think my subconscious lumped them in with soil. I'm gonna go actually listen to them now.

I actually used to think the same thing a while ago. I think a lot of it has to do with the first part of their name being "Soil" and Bjorn not being a really growly singer.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Natural Born Chaos and A Predator's Portrait are amazing. The stuff after that I can't really get into outside of a few songs. Stabbing the Drama has Nerve, The Crestfallen, and Wherever Thorns May Grow, in particular.

The Chainheart Machine was alright. Haven't heard Steel Bath Suicide.
Soilwork and In Flames are good friends right.

And both bands started being called sellouts at around the same time.

So they each did almost identical film clips, where both bands appeared, calling the band whose clip it was sellouts. At the end of each filmclip the non playing band would show up to the playing bands show all covered in bruises.

It's kind of funny, look it up.
For some reason, I can NOT stand listening to these guys. Every Soilwork song I've heard bores me.

Maybe I only heard their new stuff, though (Which I heard is more like american alt.metal). That's what happened when I first tried to listened to IF.
Quote by piratemetalhead
For some reason, I can NOT stand listening to these guys. Every Soilwork song I've heard bores me.

Maybe I only heard their new stuff, though (Which I heard is more like american alt.metal). That's what happened when I first tried to listened to IF.

Yeah dude, I agree. I heard In Flames years before I got into them, because I heard stuff like Only For the Weak. Then when I heard their more Gothenburg influnced stuff I was hooked.
So, Devy appearing on Black Star Deceiver = megawin. Only took me about 2 words of his stuff in the verse to realize it was him.

/fellatio
I didn't really like Stabbing the Drama compared to Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five. It was just ... blah. Haven't heard anything from the new album. Didn't even know it had come out.

I really liked the acoustic break in No More Angels and the solo after is awesome.
Natural Born Chaos is probably my favorite album. Love the title track. I thought STAGD was actually really good, and I still need to get APP. Everyone says thats the best album...
After hearing about these guys I downloaded their full discography a while ago. It came with the Exile music vid, and I ended up just watching that and listening to a few of their newer songs, then kinda flicking through their albums. It all seemed very meh at the time, so I kinda forgot about them...

I started listening to Steel Bath Suicide recently though, and it's actually really good. Need to get around to giving their other albums a listen...
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Quote by SquareNothing
After hearing about these guys I downloaded their full discography a while ago. It came with the Exile music vid, and I ended up just watching that and listening to a few of their newer songs, then kinda flicking through their albums. It all seemed very meh at the time, so I kinda forgot about them...

I started listening to Steel Bath Suicide recently though, and it's actually really good. Need to get around to giving their other albums a listen...

Yeah, most of there stuff after Figure Number Five isnt as good.
My friend got me into Soilwork and I love them. I only have Sword To A Great Divide and Figure Number Five
I'm listening to "Observation Slave" right now, these guys are awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I saw Soilwork last night in London. It was a pretty good gig. Granted their new stuff is pretty easy-going compared with the early stuff but speaking to people in the audience they seemed to like the new stuff more. I guess they've got themselves a new lighter audience.

I took some pics http://www.newmetalarmy.com/events/view/15 and put them on New Metal Army. There is also a video on the New Metal Army you tube channel http://uk.youtube.com/newmetalarmy

The support bands were Ananta and One-way Mirror. If you like the new Soilwork I don't see any reason for you not to like these two bands. The drummer for Soilwork even plays in One-way Mirror.
New song out.

http://www.myspace.com/soilwork

Guitar tone and production are a hell of a lot better than Sworn to A Great Divide.

As for the song, I dont know what to make of it. It seems like they get more and more metalcore oriented with every release...
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
Weird seeing myself hate on Soilwork, I love them now

Early stuff had monster drumming, and even their new groove-ish metal stuff has some real power to it.
Quote by piratemetalhead
Weird seeing myself hate on Soilwork, I love them now

Early stuff had monster drumming, and even their new groove-ish metal stuff has some real power to it.

So Im guessing you dont like the new song lol?

And I agree, Henry Ranta was a fucking awesome drummer.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Just took a listen to it- I like it, but I wish the vox sounded more like growls rather than metalcore screams. I like the production and tone of it, but the section at 1:00 kinda put me off. To be honest, I'm fine with their nu/groove-metal ish parts though, I think they pull them off rather nicely

I kinda miss old Soilwork though, I love Bulletbeast and it's drumfills every 2 seconds
Agreed about the vocal part. I wish Speed would go back to his older style like on APP or NBC. Ive never heard Bulletbeast, Im guessing thats on Steelbath Suicide or the Chainheart Machine? The only two Soilwork albums I dont have haha..
Quote by BringMeTheCalm

Eh, it's head and shoulders above the rubbish on Sworn. Drumming surprisingly straightforward for Verbeuren.
Speed's vocals is pretty much the only thing keeping me a Soilwork fan.

A shame their sound hasn't really developed the past 7 years

EDIT: And I think I'll end up enjoying the new album
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at May 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2