I don't have money, and I don't have a job right now. And once I get one, it will most likely be close to minimum wage, and most of the money will probably go into other things such as paying for my car and gas and college, etc. That being said, my band will be playing some gigs soon and all I have right now is a Spider II 112. Would adding a tube preamp pedal such as the Art Tube MP help the sound at all? We play metal and the amp definitely has enough distortion, but at louder volumes it breaks up and gets VERY muddy.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
The short answer is sadly no. The spiders are just terrible at talking pedals due to the modelling software not processing the pedal signal particularly well.

The muddiness is due to the amplifier circuit being a bit cacky. it effects pretty much all solid state amplification at high volumes. Remember only tube amps sound sweeter at louder volumes.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
no to be honest i dont think anything other than a new amp will help. it's not what u want to hear but it's the truth. you need to trade/sell that in for something like a Randall instead. srry bro
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The ART MP tube preamp is designed for recording and may not hold up to driving an amplifier. If youre going to use a tube preamp, use one specifically for guitar, it will sound better and its made to rock.

As for your amp problem, id say the only way youre going to get a better sound is to get a non modelling amp. Software emulated distortion blows.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Pluh. Well then how are the cheaper Randall solid states? I love their V2 and T2 amps, but I've never tried the G3's.
hm i dont know the exact models that are recommended the most. somethhin like a RH or somethin...

basically you need about $500 (w/ or w/o ur amp bein sold) and get one of the suggested randalls (just ask around UG, jus bout everyone else knows which ones are the SS most suggested) or ashdown fallen combo.

or u could get a randall MTS like mine....if you got $1400 to spend ....but if you did....u wouldn't be in this predicament
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
hm i dont know the exact models that are recommended the most. somethhin like a RH or somethin...

basically you need about $500 (w/ or w/o ur amp bein sold) and get one of the suggested randalls (just ask around UG, jus bout everyone else knows which ones are the SS most suggested) or ashdown fallen combo.

or u could get a randall MTS like mine....if you got $1400 to spend ....but if you did....u wouldn't be in this predicament

Ohh how I wish. I've played an MTS head (one of the 100w ones) with the Ultra preamp... it was pure sex.

*sigh* I guess I just gotta deal until I get enough money.
yea MTS series is pricey...mine blew a month ago while jamming and i haven't had a tube to play since then....then i found out i can get it fixed under warranty so i'm happy bout that

it is my go-to amp for jus bout any style really and it rocks teh brootalz.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH