So i have a four string musicman stingray. ive had it for about a year and its nice, but i'm not completely happy with it, so I'm thinking of selling it and getting a fender jazz bass, one with a maple fretboard (i love the maple fretboards). so i was hoping to get some input from everyone as to whether i should keep the musicman or get the jazz bass. thanks.
your choice, both are good, Musicman's will give fatter sounds, but I find my Jazz easier and nicer to play than my teacher's Musicman.

I've got a Fender American Jazz, S-1 switch (for P-bass sound) and red body with maple fretboard, £720
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=521

just to give you an idea ^^ and it plays like a dream, sounds even better.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
The Musicman is a great bass, but if it's not the bass for you, then its not worth keeping. They are so distinctive tonally, but I will say this for the Jazz, its versatile.

I've seen used Musicman basses go from 900USD to about 1300USD (with case), so that would be a good range for a selling price for your used MM.
They're fairly different basses- different sounds, pups, necks, and electronics. Try the Jazz, try a similar MusicMan (or your own) right alongside it, decide yourself. I liked the sound and feel of the Jazz loads more than the MusicMan, which to me feel unweidly and akward, but then there are people who swear by thicker necks and absolutely hate thin necks.

tl;dr: Personal preference.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
If you dont like it sell it. and man. jazz basses are so worth it! I have a geddy lee signature and its my favorite bass i own. I suggest trying it. Definatly worth the $800.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, try a Jazz. Like everyone said, way more versatile, and slicker to play IMO.
Quote by Pink Muse
They're fairly different basses- different sounds, pups, necks, and electronics. Try the Jazz, try a similar MusicMan (or your own) right alongside it, decide yourself. I liked the sound and feel of the Jazz loads more than the MusicMan, which to me feel unweidly and akward, but then there are people who swear by thicker necks and absolutely hate thin necks.

tl;dr: Personal preference.

+1

I'm personally very much a Stinger man myself, but I absolutely crave that thump. Don't get me wrong, I totally see where everyone's coming from with the Jazz - it's one hot-sounding bass - but to me it would just be no competition, once I get a Stinger I'll be a happy camper.

Best way to do it is to bring your Stinger into the shop, play it through an amp like one you have (or like one you'd like to have), then plug up a Jazz and play it through the same amp. The whole scientific method thing. You really can't go wrong with either of the two basses.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.