ive read through different post on the forum and read through plenty of websites that try and explain theory but i dont get it......maybe im just a retard.

ive got half a song writen using these chords: G, Em7, Cadd9 and Asus4

as simply as possible, how do i work out what key them chords are in so i can try to work out a bass line to it.

any theory help would also be appriciated

thanks

stevie
Resolves to G to me so G major. Just use the root notes as a starting point for your bassline, that's the simplest thing to do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by stevie_melvin
ive read through different post on the forum and read through plenty of websites that try and explain theory but i dont get it......maybe im just a retard.

ive got half a song writen using these chords: G, Em7, Cadd9 and Asus4

as simply as possible, how do i work out what key them chords are in so i can try to work out a bass line to it.

any theory help would also be appriciated

thanks

stevie

It would seem that you are in G.

I would consider calling the Asus4 an Am7sus4.

All that would do is imply that if the suspension were to resolve, that it would resolve minor instead of major.

You'd have G Em C Am or I vi IV ii

looks like G Major. keep in mind learning theory takes awhile. It would be hard to explain everything you need to know in 1 post.

and your not a retard for not understanding theory. You have to start with the basics and work your way up. Thats hard to do on the internet. You often get information that is over your head. You struggle to make sense of it, but you cant because you dont have a grasp on the fundamentals. If you really want to understand theory I would highly recommend studying with a teacher, and/or taking a class.

That being said, you can still use your ear to write music now. Even though you dont know the theory..... you know if it sounds good or not. Ultimately thats the most important thing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
looks like G Major. keep in mind learning theory takes awhile. It would be hard to explain everything you need to know in 1 post.

and your not a retard for not understanding theory. You have to start with the basics and work your way up. Thats hard to do on the internet. You often get information that is over your head. You struggle to make sense of it, but you cant because you dont have a grasp on the fundamentals. If you really want to understand theory I would highly recommend studying with a teacher, and/or taking a class.

That being said, you can still use your ear to write music now. Even though you dont know the theory..... you know if it sounds good or not. Ultimately thats the most important thing.

+100

Great advice!

would a major key to stay in key be

maj min min maj maj min dim??

i think that makes sence anyay deffinetly seems like Gmajor to me
song stuck in my head today

If you're trying to figure out the key to play a lead part, or for a bassist to be able to follow you, you could start with playing all the root notes, then figuring out which scale fits the notes in.

It's a very crude system, but I use it, and it usually doesn't fail, although you might have to resort to using your ear alot.
For one, try to figure out where it resolves to, and to what quality(major or minor). Other ways are to look for patterns that are only found once. The major scale harmonized in triads is major(I), minor(ii), minor(iii), major(IV), major(V), minor(vi), diminished(viidim). So if you see two consecutive major chords a whole step apart, chances are that they're the fourth and fifth of the key. So if you see an F major and G major, a good guess would be that you're in C. Same thing with seeing an E minor and F major etc. You'll get better at this as time goes on.