Hey, i need a few "moves" for on stage. My band is REALLY boring on stage, and I need some ideas of what to tell them what to do. Atleast I've got them moving a bit, but as of like, the crazy stuff, I can't seem to find "moves" that are fitting for THEM. I already have a few that I'm comfortable with, just need some fresh ideas to present to them. THANKS!
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
70's Silverface Bassman Amp
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Deathmetal Pedal
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
Spend more time on music, less on jumping around. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd don't do any of that crap. Stupid punk bands can't make music so they do backflips and stage dives. Damn thing is turning into a circus.

...just make a fancy light show.
just genrally get our guitarist and bassist to walk round stage during songs and sing backing vocals, also talk to the crowd about stuff dont just say this next song is... crack a joke
Play a bouncy song that you can all bounce up and down to.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
ha, it is about fun for us. we dont want any like the 'stupid punk bands' but people who say 'just stand on stage and play', im not sure that you quite understand what im going for. Sure pink floyd and led zepplin could just stand on stage and play. BECAUSE THEY ARE PINK FLOYD AND LED ZEPPLIN. PLUS PINK FLOYD HAD HUUUUUGE PRODUCTIONS IN THEIR SHOWS! AND LED ZEPPLIN IS BORING ON THEIR LIVE DVDS ARE BORING! ( I love led zepplin. they are the best. just not on stage) For a band starting out you need people to REMEMBER you. and who doesnt remember the guitarist who jumped into the pit during his solo and hit me in the face! for example.... and no mattvl i know that you dont deserve that whole rant... but its something that has always annoyed me. AND i like your idea of a fance light show... i need to know how to cut it on and off tho.
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
If it doesn't come somewhat naturally to them, then they're just not meant to be performers.
Recommend they look into being studio extras.
Quote by mattvl
Spend more time on music, less on jumping around. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd don't do any of that crap. Stupid punk bands can't make music so they do backflips and stage dives. Damn thing is turning into a circus.

Dumb post is dumb.

OP: Don't force anything. I don't know what kind of music you play but just do what feels right. IF it's kind of chill just slowly move around the stage and make eye contact with the crowd. If it's fast then get your whole body into it and just move.

There's no "moves" to learn, just do what comes natural.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by mattvl

Gawd that's ignorant.

Anyways, it kind of depends on what kind of music you play, TS. What works for metal won't work with indie. A general rule is to just try to move around on stage, standing still can be boring to watch.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Do whatever you feel comfortable doing without messing up your music, even though if you listen to Angus Young live, he is a very lively player on stage, but tends to be sloppy.

Playing simple legato passages (think Thunderstruck or the Solo to Dirty Deeds) one handed with the picking hand in the air is good, as long as you can pull it off. Simple headbanging is a great simple way. play with the guitar on your back, bass players especially can grab the neck of the bass near the body and hold it out away from them and spin around, like a helicopter. spin your guitar around you (only if you have good straplocks, Jim Dunlops are good) Throw your drumsticks up and catch them, hit the cymbal and let the stick slide down the cymbal and catch it. really whatever you can do that won't damage equipment (unless that's your goal) or throw off your music. The music is the most important part, if you can't pull a move off and still play the song smoothly, don't.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
when i jump while playing it comes naturally
most of the stuff i do simple and natural to me, if you are trying to do some tricks just do it when you feel you want to
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
gald i get what you mean. some things are truley natural. but if you to lean your back on your bassist back and he sudently steps forward cause he has no idea what your doing, a few words could have prevented that.... warlockking, we have this part where the bassist hits an open note, i do a quick muted then unmuted note on the E string while the lead is doing this cool japanese scale that he knows.... but durring that time i have the devil horns with my other hands.... its sortta like what Killswitch engage does with 'end of heart ache', there is this palm muting part followed by trills. when palm muting they have their left hands up with the devil horns, and their right hands doing it when they are playing the trills... check that out.
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
The back to back thing is very weak now a days. People just tend to think that they've seen it over and over which they have. The best thing to do is just look like your having fun, if you have a smile on your face the crowd will get the idea that your having a good time which makes them feel better about being there. If you want to start getting actual movement down start simple gyrate your hips to the beat and on the fourth beat rock your body forward and downward. Just remember to always stay on beat. Also to the guy who said Led Zeppelin didn't do any of that **** then how am I looking at a poster on my wall of Jimmy Page doing a splits kick in mid air?
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Sound Garden X pretty much said it man, just have fun on stage and the crowd will have a fun time, and then you feel more comfortable and you'll just start to move around a little more.

Some moves my bands does sometimes is if your guitarists/bassist will kind of cross their instruments while facing each other, and standing on amps is always a crowd pleaser
i have a similar problem with my bassist. i suggest:

1) mark hoppus it. tell them to jump and just sorta walk around
2) head bang
3) play the mysterious card. be really chill and grow out their hair

honestly though, tell them to just study people on youtube and figure out what works for them
stage presence and stage moves do not go hand in hand actually. it doesnt really have anything to do with that. it helps make things interesting but its not what stage presence is. ive done monlouges in drama class and all im doing is basically standing and talking. i do some gestures here and there of course but im not doing a whole lot. and guess what? i always get complements on my stage presence.

and imo, doing stage tricks will distract people from your songs. i find if someone in the band is doing something wild, thats all i can really focus on and the music is just kinda like background music. you arent totally paying attention to it. so i think you guys should just go up there and play. when the music moves you, move. you dont need anything crazy or any planed moves and gimmicks. moving with the music is all you need to really do. when my friend and his band go up and play, they all have great stage pressence...but they dont do much. the bass player just kinda stands there with his shades on and bops and grooves to the music. every once in a while he'll play some open notes and take his fretting hand down. the singer doesnt move around to much but his stance is commanding and his facial expressions make you believe what he's singing. he also just grooves along with the beat and plays his guitar. and they have a girl who sings and plays tamborine and she dances while she plays usually if she isnt singing.

so they arent really doing much but its still there. just watch hendrix play. sure he had some stage moves, but a lot of the time when he played he stood still and just swayed with the music, closed his eyes and opened his mouth. and yet, it was still great. imo, im there at a show to watch people play music. not to watch people do tricks while they play music. showing off with tricks usually doesnt impress people actually.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
stage presence and stage moves do not go hand in hand actually. it doesnt really have anything to do with that. it helps make things interesting but its not what stage presence is. ive done monlouges in drama class and all im doing is basically standing and talking. i do some gestures here and there of course but im not doing a whole lot. and guess what? i always get complements on my stage presence.

and imo, doing stage tricks will distract people from your songs. i find if someone in the band is doing something wild, thats all i can really focus on and the music is just kinda like background music. you arent totally paying attention to it. so i think you guys should just go up there and play. when the music moves you, move. you dont need anything crazy or any planed moves and gimmicks. moving with the music is all you need to really do. when my friend and his band go up and play, they all have great stage pressence...but they dont do much. the bass player just kinda stands there with his shades on and bops and grooves to the music. every once in a while he'll play some open notes and take his fretting hand down. the singer doesnt move around to much but his stance is commanding and his facial expressions make you believe what he's singing. he also just grooves along with the beat and plays his guitar. and they have a girl who sings and plays tamborine and she dances while she plays usually if she isnt singing.

so they arent really doing much but its still there. just watch hendrix play. sure he had some stage moves, but a lot of the time when he played he stood still and just swayed with the music, closed his eyes and opened his mouth. and yet, it was still great. imo, im there at a show to watch people play music. not to watch people do tricks while they play music. showing off with tricks usually doesnt impress people actually.

+1
Made me think of Mick Thompson of Slipknot.
He mainly stands and head bangs, but that stance... it's just pure presence.
when am playing i like to just randomly walk about and start laughing with the bass player, just look like your having fun and it good.
Quote by irongoat666
1. Acquire 3 sheep (or any other animal for that matter)
2. Spray paint the numbers 1, 2 and 4 on them
3. Set them loose

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
You could do what Steve Vai did at one show and act like you are showin a riff of something to the bassist while other guitarost solos and then use it right after the solo.
Quote by DanielQ
Move around.

Standing still is one of the worst things you can do at a show.

no, not playing is the worst thing, stting down/lookin' away from audience is second worst, not moving is 3
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
have u seen the movie tenaciuse D

"the stage dive is the most simple and powerfull mover...EVER"
Develop your own thing. You dont have to jump around to have a good stage presence. Forcing yourself to do something in the name of "stage presence" usually ends up looking really cheezy & stupid.

Everyone has something different to offer as an artist. Find what you guys can do that is natural, and genuine. If its just standing there and making great music that can be just as entertaining as anything else.

The bands that are truly great, and stand the test of time, are the bands that do their own thing. The imitators do ok for awhile but are often forgotten.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 4, 2008,
I agree with most of these guys...do whats natural...don't force...but i'd also like to add...if somone already hasn't.....something thats a key element in performing is chemestry...make sure if you do something your other band members are working in a similar way....otherwise one person standing and the other person thrashing around like a wildman looks kinda bad...and these guys are all saying that being over the top can affect your playing...this is true, but if you practice playing things and "thrashing" or whatever you will be just fine.

trust me I'm probably the most overthetop player you'll ever see. (guitar behind the head solo!) =p

p.s. doingstuff on stage can take the focus off of your playing...and i don't care if anyone says otherwise.
Never gonna give you up...
Last edited by GuitarSpnkr at May 6, 2008,
Quote by GuitarSpnkr

p.s. doingstuff on stage can take the focus off of your playing...and i don't care if anyone says otherwise.

I know you don't care, and I'm a huge fan of focusing on playing, don't get me wrong, but small mistakes made during live (rock and metal) shows aren't usually as clear to the crowd as they are to you.
The crowd is too busy head banging, moshing, singing their guts out, having their ears bleed...etc to notice every small mistake.

One time a good friend in a band (the drummer) said something along the line of "That really sucked, I couldn't hear the rest of the band in the monitors so I was all off."
But the funny thing was, no one noticed, he sounded just fine to us, (and I'm a huge fan of their music, so I'd notice if it was prominent, too) but because it's his part of the show and he's paying attention to it, he noticed that it sounded worse than the rest of the people there did.

Don't get me wrong though, if you wank a solo behind your head and it sounds like Kerry King, they'll notice.
I was talking small mistakes.

Disclaimer: I like slayer, so don't flame me for that joke.
If you play metal you should raise your strap a little and get a bad ass power stance. For example, Lamb of God's lead guitarist has his strap pretty high, but he has bad ass music and an awsome power stance to back it up. He bends his knees a little and head bangs according to the intensity of the music.

If you guys are a little more energetic then you should do a few jumps. Like when its quite and everything comes crashing in.

Note: the reason why I say to raise your strap is that when you're doing these movements on stage, it could mess up your playing. Raising your strap could help keep a little bit of correct posture, not that moving around isn't against the "rules"

And don't worry about your strap being too high. It looks fine with the right stance and music
Last edited by Banana Man at May 6, 2008,
Stage "presence" can not be taught. It's basically another way of saying charisma. And charisma can't really be taught. Not without coming off as being fake.

So do your own thing up there. If you got presence, it'll come out. If not, work on the music extra hard.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣