so, im thinking of getting a new bass and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb500fltbk_5string_fretless_ebass.htm

seems quite good. anyone got one?

also, are ther any other basses like this and in the same price range? (preferably not black)
Quote by ~Danny~
Must if they break for me, better sounds come from the way you play more-so than the strings.

Quote by ~Danny~
>hen I said 'must', i meant just.

Quote by ~Danny~
I think we've realised I can't type by now...
Your probably not gona get a decent 5 string fretless for that cheap.
I'd say look at peavey grinds. Im sure they have 5 string fretless models.
hi
i have heard that the Harley Benton is a really good bass and worth twice the price, its well made and sounds good two.
i have a 5 string fretless Harper that was under £200 and its excellently and as good as some £500 bass i have played in shops.
i looked at getting the harley but it was only in black and i wanted a natural body and went for the Harper and i love the sound and feel of the Harper and it every bit as good build quality and sound as my Yamaha fetted 4 string.
both bass are from company's in Germany and i think are Korean made.
cheers
wullie
Last edited by bill reed at Apr 25, 2008,
I have that bass, except its 4 string and fretted. Its very good for the price payed.
I have had it for a year and its been working like a charm so far.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
I wouldn't get that bass as a fretless, purely on the fact it has a rosewood fingerboard. As fingerboard woods go, rosewood is particulary keen to be eaten away at by strings, especially roundwounds. So unless you plan to epoxy the fingerboard (which isn't particularly cheap) I would stay well clear of it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
wouldn't get that bass as a fretless, purely on the fact it has a rosewood fingerboard. As fingerboard woods go, rosewood is particulary keen to be eaten away at by strings, especially roundwounds. So unless you plan to epoxy the fingerboard (which isn't particularly cheap) I would stay well clear of it.

Keep rosewood from getting too dry and it can last. Eventually you will get ruts that will need to be sanded out. However, a rosewood fretless has a nice earthy growl that you don't get from ebony or epoxied fingerboards.
I had 2 that I played the hell out of with roundwounds for three years without affecting their playability.
It may take 5-10 years for it to go, but the cost of refretting will be more than the bass is worth, essentially rendering it worthless. It it's a very nice bass and you know of a good luthier who can remove and replace fingeboard well, rosewood may be what you want. However, it isn't the most practical of fretboard materials for a fretless.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1