so the harmonic minor in the key of D is: D E F G A A# C#. so if i wanted to play power chords and barre chords and wanted to put them in key with the scale, would the chords that would be in key be: A5 B5 C5 D5 E5 G5 F#5 A#5?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
For the power chords, <edit>NO</edit>. However if you want to use barre chords as well, like you said, then it would be following the pattern of minor, major chord types etc..

A barre chord isn't a power chord.

Edit: Just re-read and noticed you used different key for the power chords than the original scale.

Wtf?! Where did you get those chords from?
Last edited by last_biscuit at Apr 8, 2008,
i thought i would use the 5th of each note in the scale. would that be following the minor scale formula of WHWWHWW
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
if you go for bar chords it would go minor, diminished, major, minor, minor, major, major and back to minor all with the root in the order of the scale you wrote out.
i thought i would use the 5th of each note in the scale. would that be following the minor scale formula of WHWWHWW?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by .:eranu:.
oh yeh crap the e wouldnt be diminished but the A# would

I thought that since E is the second note in the minor scale, then it forms a diminished chord?
oh yeh so E and C# are sorry cos i was confused whether you sharpen the 6th or 7th in harmonic
D Harmonic Minor: D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C#, D

Chords: D minor, E diminished, F augmented, G minor, A major, Bb major, C# diminished.

For the power chords, you'd have the standard power chord shape for all the major/minor ones except for the augmented and diminished ones.

For the diminished, you'd have this shape:

D 8
A 7
E

And for the augmented, you'd have this shape:

D 11
A 8
E

Which won't sound too nice on their own unless you resolve them or something.

Hope that helped.
Quote by FatherBeard
D Harmonic Minor: D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C#, D

Chords: D minor, E diminished, F augmented, G minor, A major, Bb major, C# diminished.

For the power chords, you'd have the standard power chord shape for all the major/minor ones except for the augmented and diminished ones.

For the diminished, you'd have this shape:

D 8
A 7
E

And for the augmented, you'd have this shape:

D 11
A 8
E

Which won't sound too nice on their own unless you resolve them or something.

Hope that helped.

thanks, that's what I thought it was