so i'm searching for a good amp and a thing i don't understand is what a channel does? What's the difference between one, two and three channels?
Thanks
I have no idea. it might be the radio signal that the amp might send or receive. I remember that might amp would get different radio signals.
wtf! you guys are idiots, you get channels storing things such as clean, dirty, distorted etc.
god!
One channel might be clean, one might be overdrive, one might be lead.

They're difficult to explain, actually... think of them as different ways in which an amp can operate.

If you look at youtube reviews, you'll see most of them demo the clean channel, and whatever other channel an amp has.

Quote by uk.mace
wtf! you guys are idiots,

Unnecessary.
Last edited by webbtje at Apr 8, 2008,
normally diferent channels have different amounts of gain for example , clean channel - no gain , lead channel - Gain and so on ..
My Gear :
Epiphone les paul custom (alpine white) Peavey Valve king half stack
Ehx Big muff Pi Gibson sg special faded
Ehx Metal Muff Dunlop crybaby 535q
Digitech Bad Monkey
ok

and if an amp only have one channel, does it mean it can save only one setting?
It's not a question of saving a setting. It'll do what you tell the knobs to do.

It'll mean you can't switch gain levels, basically.
Quote by jebus19
ok

and if an amp only have one channel, does it mean it can save only one setting?

It doesn't "save" anything - it's an amp, not a flash drive

Amps with independent channels will have a set of EQ and volume controls for each channel - a single channel amp just has one set.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
and can i change clean to overdrive with a footswitch even if it's only got one channel?
What is this mystery amp anyway? We can't really keep speculating.

Likelihood is you can't.
i just don't know anything about amp, and now i understand a little more
Quote by jebus19
and can i change clean to overdrive with a footswitch even if it's only got one channel?

No. That's what one channel means. You get either clean or overdrive (you can play with the guitar volume to get the other but that's an another thing).

If the amp has 2 channels, it means you can switch between the channels (probably clean and overdrive) with a footswitch.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't "save" anything - it's an amp, not a flash drive

Incidentally, I got a vey-nearly-but-not-quite-spam email last week about a new handwired amp that has ten patches to save the postions of the knobs. Looks like a great idea though I only use one or two tones at gigs, don't see the point personally. 'Delta Memotron', it's called ,which to me sounds like the name of a Doctor Who baddie.

And threadstarter, surely if you're after a 'good amp' , you should be familiar with at least the basics of amplifier operation? Give it a rest, go and do a bit on research on the subject yourself - it's not easy to word it here but there's tons of information out there if you bother to look for it.