what will i need to record a Shure SM57LC mic to my computer, with best possible quality, but not super expensive ?

is a usb interface best choice? , what inteface then?
Usb interface, or even better a firewire one if you have a firewire port, i have an Alesis 8channel usb interface which does the job nicely.

Nathy x
Nathy
I would go with a USB interface. The Line 6 TonePort UX2 i think it is seems pretty nice. Its the one with the two level meters on the front, as wel as two 1/4" inputs and an XLR input.
The Toneport can take a 1/4 cable for microphone: specs mention a mic input. All you'll need is a Tube MP without the USB interface...unless you want to record guitar and voice simultaneously, and of course an XLR cable.

It's $30, and you can use it as a DI with your guitar to further warm your guitar up. Replacing the tube should also help your sound incredibly (the stock ones are inferior to name brand varieties).
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 8, 2008,
so there is 1/4 cables for mics? thought it only was xlr. Im a recording newbie
Last edited by Jaekae at Apr 8, 2008,
Ive got one of them.
(The 1/4 cable) .. If you mean a xlr on one side for the mic to go into a Line in instead of a mic input.
xxx
Nathy
That could work, but I don't know if the Toneport has a preamp itself. Here's what I was thinking:

Mike - XLR to XLR cable - Preamp - 1/4 to 1/4 cable (not instrument cable) - Toneport
so it wont work if the toneport doesnt have a preamp? maby have to change my order then
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

No, it doesn't matter if the toneport has a pre-amp or not. You won't be using it, because your just about to buy a separate pre-amp.

Microphones produce a very weak signal on their own, and it needs to be boosted to be at a workable level. Some interfaces have a preamp built in, so you can plug in and it will boost the signal for you. If not then you have to buy a separate pre-amp, and send the boosted signal from the pre-amp into the interface.

If you used a separate pre-amp going into an interface that already has a pre-amp, you would just turn the pre-amp down on the interface so it acts like it isn't there.

Now toneports are designed for plugging guitars straight in, right?

Guitars on their own produce a very weak signal, like microhones. Therefore I would guess that the Toneport has a preamp.

So, you could just get an XLR - 1/4 inch cable and go straight into the toneport, and voila.

If the toneport doesn't have a pre-amp, then do what fast fingers said. But I would try it my way first, as it is cheaper.

Hope you can undersatnd all that!
okey thanks ye i understand

ill try it your way first, that way o wont need to change my order
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard