Page 1 of 2
Hello everybody!

I'm a guitar player who's been playing for about 5 years now. Mainly I've been playing tabs and listening to the song's and figuring out how to play things by ear. I know very little about musical theory so I've decided to find a forum and start asking questions and studying theory. Talking about music and listening to other players. My passion is to play like Becker , well everything in its own time . I'm not in a hurry, just playing for fun, just searching for something that i could start makeing/composing my own music, and learning how to become a better musician.

My GearI'm allways bragging about my guitar so don't take it the wrong way, I love it!!!)
My guitar is a Jackson KeOne, Marty signature, beautiful looking Axe!(pics will come later) and I also have a Jackson RR1
The other crap I have ain't worth mentioning.

My skills at the moment:?
Hmm... I gess technically I play ok, ain't that much string noice or so... I would like to mention any particular song. Solos i can play? Most of the simpler megadeth has, same with metallica, some friedman, some becker stuff, Ironmaiden...
Well I hope you get the idee.

Ok my theory skills(dont laugh)
I know that there are 6 string :P EBGDAE
12 notes E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#
I've learnt to keep track of what notes I'm playing and where the notes are located on the fretboard
Thats about it

Now you probably see my problem.

I would like to keep this thread as "my progressing thread" and hopeing I can look back at these first post and laugh and think, damn did I really take my thumb out of my butthole and started learning!

If we could start with the total Basics and make somekind of a weekly program that i practise, that would be great if there is someone willing to help me

Regards JacksonPlayer!
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by JacksonKe1
I've learnt to keep track of what notes I'm playing and where the notes are located on the fretboard

If we could start with the total Basics and make somekind of a weekly program that i practise, that would be great if there is someone willing to help me

You know, that one thing puts you ahead of the game, and will make learning theory so very much easier.

Were I in your position I would start learning my keys, triads/chord formation and so on.

Since C is the only key with no sharps or flats I'd start there. Figure out where all the notes are, figure out the triads, and generally practice improvising in that key (find or record a backtrack that's just got a C chord droning in the background). Learn the sound and placement of the intervals in that key too. Once you've got that figured out move to a different key.

There are plenty of lessons on here and the web in general that will explain all of this in much better detail.
It does sound like you need a teacher.

I'd suggest finding yourself a good book that has a fairly consistent approach
and do some reading. You're not going to learn theory on a forum where you have
to weed through questionable material and have to evaluate different approaches.

"Planetalk" has one of the better introductory theory explanations and its geared
towards guitar and improvising. I think it does a good job of making the basics
easy to understand and useful without dumbing it down.

There's many ways to start and many different paths to theory you can meander
through. It won't all click at once. Its like the pieces to a big jigsaw puzzle you
slowly assemble over time (and probably never really finish). Good starting places
are: 1) pentatonic scales and blues if you want to play around improvising without
having to understand too much, 2) Major scale and its harmony (and yeah triads).
2 really is a precursor to 1, but practically you can go between them until you can
connect the dots.
Quote by blue_strat
What you need is a teacher. As in a real-life, face-to-face type thing.

I can't afford a teacher, I wan't to learn on my own
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by JacksonKe1
I can't afford a teacher, I wan't to learn on my own
If you lack the capital for lessons, that's understandable. However, if you reject the idea of music instruction because you think it's "kooler" or more "punk" to do it yourself, that is very foolish.

Click things in my sig.
Quote by icronic
You know, that one thing puts you ahead of the game, and will make learning theory so very much easier.

Were I in your position I would start learning my keys, triads/chord formation and so on.

Since C is the only key with no sharps or flats I'd start there. Figure out where all the notes are, figure out the triads, and generally practice improvising in that key (find or record a backtrack that's just got a C chord droning in the background). Learn the sound and placement of the intervals in that key too. Once you've got that figured out move to a different key.

There are plenty of lessons on here and the web in general that will explain all of this in much better detail.

Thank you for you'r post. The reason I've learnt to keep track of my notes when i play is because I earlier try'd the theory part, but my mind wasn't set right on it, had to much of everything eles in my life at that moment so my intresst was lost a bit. It has all come back to me when i look at the same old Megadeth videos when Dave & Marty play, I get that burning feeling, I wanna be that cool (I know I aint ever going to but still ). I don't mean I'm going to be any rockstar but just understand everything everybody is doing, and now my mind is set to this and I'am ready to learn.
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you lack the capital for lessons, that's understandable. However, if you reject the idea of music instruction because you think it's "kooler" or more "punk" to do it yourself, that is very foolish.

Click things in my sig.

I would love to have the opportunity to learn from somebody, but with my sallary and where I live there is nobody who know's any music theory.
One of the missleading thing you musician's who know youre theory do is that you make it sound like it would be some kind of rocket sience learning theory, dont you agree with me on that . I gess the theory is just a bunch of rules but when you know what rules you can break, that it what make's youre playing sound good ? or am'I totally out running?
Ke1 & RR1
No, I don't agree with you. Any of the respected members on here try to be helpful, save when someone is a complete ass.

Theory isn't rules, but rather guidelines. It merely describes what musicians have found to sound good over the last 500 years.

If you get good, you're learning theory one way or another. You may figure things out on your own (ie "Hey, this sounds good over this chord") or you may study formally, but you will learn it at some point. I suggest learning what we've learned over the last 500 years rather than trying to figure it out yourself, however.
Well what do you guy's think i should start with? Link to a page with some theory and show me where to start. There has to be someone who has written down the musical theory on the internet, otherwise I'am totally dissapointed at the internet
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No, I don't agree with you. Any of the respected members on here try to be helpful, save when someone is a complete ass.

Theory isn't rules, but rather guidelines. It merely describes what musicians have found to sound good over the last 500 years.

If you get good, you're learning theory one way or another. You may figure things out on your own (ie "Hey, this sounds good over this chord") or you may study formally, but you will learn it at some point. I suggest learning what we've learned over the last 500 years rather than trying to figure it out yourself, however.
¨

Hehe, I think you got me completly wrong for some reason . Do you think I'm being a complete ass? Funny, registerd to this forum because of search of knowlage but you think I'm being an ass? I haven't dissrespected anyone just told things about myself and been open to suggestions...
I'm sorry I could come up with the word guidlines, not so easy when english aint you first language, try reading german or swedish let's see how good it goes for you.
In stead of talking bullcrap you could write some good theory and help a desperate soul that is searching for it, rather than to look down on me and try to tell how hard it is to learn musical theory .

You should check out the word theory on wiki, in this case the word theory can be related to facts, if we take an mathematic exampel that is pretty easy i hope i can demonstrate what i ment in the reply before... 1+1=2 ok in musical theory, one note over the other sounds good equals good ****

regards jackson
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by JacksonKe1
Do you think I'm being a complete ass?
Not when I posted that.

I still say you click things in my sig, especially the "Melodic Control" link; it is especially helpful for learning how to solo.
your not asking for much are you?

Id suggest doing some reading, maybe take a few (free) online lessons first, (there are a number on youtube & shred academy) - then when you start to get stuck, come to UG to ask questions.

do you really think its realistic to expect the whole UG guitar comunity to just stand to attention and concentrate on teachin you guitar theory via your own personal thread? Come on dude - you gotta do some work yourself ;-)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Not when I posted that.

I still say you click things in my sig, especially the "Melodic Control" link; it is especially helpful for learning how to solo.

Going trough youre links thank you
This stuff is the kind of info I'm looking for, http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
Sorry I often have my thump up my ass and can't find these pages myself, that is why I start bothering people about helping me but I'm truley greatful when somebody dose
Ke1 & RR1
Last edited by JacksonKe1 at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by hippyheaven1
your not asking for much are you?

Id suggest doing some reading, maybe take a few (free) online lessons first, (there are a number on youtube & shred academy) - then when you start to get stuck, come to UG to ask questions.

do you really think its realistic to expect the whole UG guitar comunity to just stand to attention and concentrate on teachin you guitar theory via your own personal thread? Come on dude - you gotta do some work yourself ;-)

I don't think it is realistic to expect anyone to help me. But some starting advice and some link's to good webpages ain't too much to ask for or is it? I know there is some really good guitarplayers around here so instead of driving 100 miles I try to get "out" another way and find some good tips on the net. Maybe you have been in my situtation and can give me a hint of a good webpage to start reading

I hope my thread, if I may call it my thread can be a kind of history log to me so that I can compair the progress I've made hope this dosen't bother anyone
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by icronic
Since C is the only key with no sharps or flats I'd start there.

A minor also contains no sharps or flats in the key signature.
Quote by :-D
A minor also contains no sharps or flats in the key signature.

*in before "They're the same thing!!!"*
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Hello everybody!
Been reading the lesson trough a couple of times but I haven't really understood the Co5? Someone wana explain it ? I'll start of with this and practice it until i understand it completly.
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by JacksonKe1
Hello everybody!
Been reading the lesson trough a couple of times but I haven't really understood the Co5? Someone wana explain it ? I'll start of with this and practice it until i understand it completly.

Well, the circle of 5ths is a method showing how all the keys are constructed in a
manner that adds/subtracts a sharp or flat as you go one way or another around
the circle. There's not really anything there to "practice" per se, other than just
memorizing the orders. At least right away...

What the circle also describes is a very common chord movement. If you look
at most songs' chord progression you'll probably find some or even all the
progression "goes around the circle". One way or another. So, if you're
practicing scales, or arpeggios, or any sort of key-related note group, if you
wanted to practice the same thing in all keys a good *order* to practice them
in is Co5 order. That's because you're likely to actually use it in that order.
Quote by edg
Well, the circle of 5ths is a method showing how all the keys are constructed in a
manner that adds/subtracts a sharp or flat as you go one way or another around
the circle. There's not really anything there to "practice" per se, other than just
memorizing the orders. At least right away...

What the circle also describes is a very common chord movement. If you look
at most songs' chord progression you'll probably find some or even all the
progression "goes around the circle". One way or another. So, if you're
practicing scales, or arpeggios, or any sort of key-related note group, if you
wanted to practice the same thing in all keys a good *order* to practice them
in is Co5 order. That's because you're likely to actually use it in that order.

Thanks edg for this reply. I read the part about the Co5 a couple of times more and i think i understand it now I'm going to record all the chord's/note's thats around the circel and play the major scale in all diffrent key's over it, just to get a picture of how everything sound's

What chord should i be using do you guy's think, is the power chord a good chord for this kind of practising?
Ke1 & RR1
Last edited by JacksonKe1 at Apr 14, 2008,
I understand the Intervalls, Co5, Diffrent mode's but there is more to practis How do I get really good improvising ? Do you have any easy chord progs for me that is easy to jam along to, post them .
Ke1 & RR1
^ stop saying that.

ok to improvise you have to play in the key that the peice is in. (either look at the key signature, work it out, or get someone else to tell you what it is for now) once you know what the key is, you can chose a scale that goes with that key and play it over the peice. when you play long notes, make sure they are in the chord that is playing at that time. when you play use the notes that arent in the chord thats playing, use them as passing notes to get to the notes in that chord.

ok thats not the only way to do it, you dont have to use scales but its good to start that way

its a good idea to get a friend who plays and get him to do rythm for you - or play along with a cd.

anymore questions dont be scared to ask!
well its a guitar forum youre supposed to discuss music on it not refer people to sites all the time!

is that you in your picture? if so i take it all back
Quote by Grouch
Hopefully you'll figure out how to keep your dick from controlling how you think by the time you're old enough to make any kind of important decision.

I've been posting on here for several years and have many thousands of helpful posts to my credit. If you have not seen that in the day that you've been a member on here, I apologize. I've been spending passover with family members I don't often see and when I've been able to get on here, I've had to limit my posts to fairly short and terse responses.
its nothing to do with my dick i just think its a gorgeous picture!

back on subject - you might want to take up the keyboard. its much clearer and easier to understand theory-wise, and has helped me out alot with it. get a cheap one, i really reccomend it.
Quote by Grouch
ok to improvise you have to play in the key that the peice is in
lol at you

And BGC controls us all, she and all other girls use mind control on us.
Quote by demonofthenight
lol at you

And BGC controls us all, she and all other girls use mind control on us.

Yeah, but castration can set you free.
Quote by Grouch
well its a guitar forum youre supposed to discuss music on it not refer people to sites all the time!

No, thats mole butt, do you live under a rock ?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Click the links in my sig.

Yepp done that and it's all good thank you
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by Grouch
its nothing to do with my dick i just think its a gorgeous picture!

back on subject - you might want to take up the keyboard. its much clearer and easier to understand theory-wise, and has helped me out alot with it. get a cheap one, i really reccomend it.

I've got a keyboard here at home, I gess I should plug it in to the comp. also got some cool track thats easy to learn how to "jam" along ?
Ke1 & RR1
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, but castration can set you free.

No castration please
Ke1 & RR1
mole butt? im not prepared to google that ill take your word for it

what do you mean 'lol at you'? because i am wrong or because im stating the obvious. if the former, i know!

errrm as far as learning thing on the keyboard - learn the c major scale and study the intervals between each note. youll learn the the major scale intervals are:

tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone.

semitone = 1 note away

tone = 2 notes away

c major starts on C which is the note on the left of the 2 black ones in a row (awful explanation) to see what i mean its the one at the far right. and then its every white note until you reach C again.

now ill teach you how basic major chords are constructed: its using the root (which in the case of c major is C) the third (the third note in the scale i just taught) and the 5th (fith note in that scale) you can check on your guitar - thats all the notes in a major chord.

sorry if im being too basic and you already know all this - but please tell me if im helping and feel free to ask me questions about it.

if that really did help you out ill teach you how a minor chord is constructed, and the natural minor scale.
Page 1 of 2