Page 1 of 8
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSHKG10478820080129

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis.

Studies in the past have demonstrated that cannabis can cause cancer, but few have established a strong link between cannabis use and the actual incidence of lung cancer.

In an article published in the European Respiratory Journal, the scientists said cannabis could be expected to harm the airways more than tobacco as its smoke contained twice the level of carcinogens, such as polyaromatic hydrocarbons, compared with tobacco cigarettes.

The method of smoking also increases the risk, since joints are typically smoked without a proper filter and almost to the very tip, which increases the amount of smoke inhaled. The cannabis smoker inhales more deeply and for longer, facilitating the deposition of carcinogens in the airways.

"Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a telephone interview.

"There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco."

The researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients and sought to identify the main risk factors for the disease, such as smoking, family history and occupation. The patients were questioned about alcohol and cannabis consumption.

In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.

"While our study covers a relatively small group, it shows clearly that long-term cannabis smoking increases lung cancer risk," wrote Beaseley.

"Cannabis use could already be responsible for one in 20 lung cancers diagnosed in New Zealand," he added.

"In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."

(Reporting by Tan Ee Lyn; Editing by Alex Richardson)

Too bad for cannabis smokers...
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Quote by bluesmaster

Too bad for cannabis smokers...

Aye. Good I'm not one of them
you have to keep in mind, some cigarette smokers smoke up to a pack a day
cannabis smokers don't usually smoke anywhere close to as much as a cigarette smoker does
its all about quantity
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
que the stoners, and their rabid defence of their habits.
I have no opinion on this matter.
except from the fact that most people don't smoke as many joints as cigarettes, and the amount of weed in the joint is gonna affect those results.

too bad for believers of propaganda....
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by Zugunruhe
que the stoners, and their rabid defence of their habits.

+1

I don't care if they do it, but they shouldn't expect for a second I'm going to believe its harmless.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Too bad there's other studies out there that directly contradict this one. You have to take these things with a grain of salt.

EDIT: What I mean is that this is still unproven. Until there are consistent results from clinical trials we have no proof.

Oh, and don't try to call me a "stoner" defending my "habits". I smoke less than once a month right now.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Yeah, heard about that.

Now I guess we just wait for the stoners to come in here and go "it's all propoganda!"
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Yeah, heard about that.

Now I guess we just wait for the stoners to come in here and go "it's all propoganda!"

I'm not saying one way or the other. But I am concerned...
This sig is
Makes sense. Well, I have no reason to smoke weed or cigarettes, and a couple not to smoke either....hmmm
this been known for quite a while. The difference is pot is not physically addictive the way smoking is, unless its been tampered with by a scumbag drug dealer. Therefore people who smoke pot usually do it way less often than people that smoke cigarretes, if you smoke a joint once a month thats what? 2 packs a month?? thats still less than what most regular smokers do. Also it is a habit that is much easier to kick. Pretty much everyone in my family (except me but im younger than them) smoked pot at one point in their life (usually college) and havent done it since.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Carswell98
+1

I don't care if they do it, but they shouldn't expect for a second I'm going to believe its harmless.

noone says its harmless, they just say its not as big a risk.

Quote by cheeseman3001
cannabis smokers don't usually smoke anywhere close to as much as a cigarette smoker does
its all about quantity

thats what i thought.
Quote by twistedmaggot
except from the fact that most people don't smoke as many joints as cigarettes, and the amount of weed in the joint is gonna affect those results.

too bad for believers of propaganda....

LOL +1
I smoke weed but not equivalent to the amount of tobacco in a pack of ciggarettes.
Quote by cheeseman3001
its all about quantity

I guess you missed the
Quote by article
Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk...
part, where it says that one joint can be equal to a pack of cigarettes in terms of risk.

Many of those who indulge in smoking marijuana may smoke a joint a day, which equals the pack of cigarettes that cig smokers may smoke per day.

I'm not agreeing with this article. I'm just saying.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by cheeseman3001
its all about quantity

and the tar from nicotine coagulates in your lungs, whereas the tar from weed doesnt
this "fact" is nothing new, it's the main basis of any argument against weed smoking
This study is flawed anyways. 79 subjects? Please. This is hardly scientific.
Rig

lol why are you guys so hell bent on attacking stoners? sounds like yall are jealous to me.

but ill be the first stoner to admit... duh! of course smoking weed will no doubt cause some sorta harm if used regularly, if you smoke ANYTHING for long enough its gonna have some adverse effects.

with that being said there are still many many variables that this "propaganda" doesent look at. not to mention there are a bunch of studies that have concluded otherwise.

just use your brain people, if you smoke a couple joints a day yeah you will not doubt be doing damage to yourself but not NEARLY as much as an addicted smoker.
Word.
I'm a stoner, and I'm not gonna shove that propaganda **** down u guys throats....

wake up and smell the ****ing coffee, everything around us can attribute to cancer. factories everywhere are destroying the air, even automobiles are, and thats a just a fraction of the stuff that pollutes the planet. every time i light a joint or pipe, I'll just thank god i'm not sucking down 2 packs a day and not living next to a factory.

I've just as much a risk of getting cancer from pot as I do going outside and breathing the air. people need to stop shunning pot smokers....its ridiculous, u might as well shun ppl who drink or smoke cigarettes because alcohol=liver failure
i play drums and guitar :
Quote by Some Moron
"In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."

This guy is a dumbass. The carcinogen is not new, people have been smoking lots of weed for decades. If cannabis smoke can cause a cancer epidemic, it would have happened by now. Has it? Perhaps.

Do I care? No. I smoke the equivalent of a fat joint once every two weeks. Big deal.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.
hmmm.....
yeah smoking from a joint may have more health issues than tobacco, but if cannabis were legal people wouldn't have to smoke it, it could be eaten or at the vary least smoked with a vaporizer which cures it of nearly all harmful chemicals because no actual smoke is made, stupid drug war crusaders
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
I guess you missed the part, where it says that one joint can be equal to a pack of cigarettes in terms of risk.

Many of those who indulge in smoking marijuana may smoke a joint a day, which equals the pack of cigarettes that cig smokers may smoke per day.

i didn't miss that, it was exactly what i was addressing
i can't speak for others, but its not something to do every single day, its more something to do a few times a month. this is because cigarette smokers are addicted, and pot smokers (still not speaking for everyone) are not
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
People have been smoking this for thousands of years already. If it was going to cause an epidemic, it would have happened already.
Rig

and theres never been a single reported case of any cancer caused directly by marijuana
although it is dangerous with heavy, heavy use
thread fails
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
People have been smoking this for thousands of years already. If it was going to cause an epidemic, it would have happened already.

Long term cannabis smokers tend to be long term smokers as well, it'd be hard to find the difference

Smoking cannabis does harm. I couldn't care if you smoke it or not, just face it.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x

i doubt theyve been recording cancer statistics for thousands of years
But yeah i just wanna keep in mind in all of this that if weed were to be eaten it would have absolutly no negative side effects. It's a proven fact and also that if we legalized it better strains would be easier to afford which would allow people who prefer to smoke it to smoke a smaller amount to get the desired effect. I don't know if any of you guys have tried authentice kush or haze strains, but one hit and ur good, there's no way u could cheef a whole joint to yourself... noobs
Meh, when I smoked I would have like 0.5-1 bowl every 2 weeks. Yay for low tolerance
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Dont believe it. Eveything seems to give you cancer these days, Moblie phones, TV radiation, even hot showers are considered bad for your brain.

Sucketh my balls.
Dude, this is old news. We've known this, as well as the effects of pot on the memory and decision making/problem solving skills for years.

Late to the party much?

Quote by Gigglebooster
But yeah i just wanna keep in mind in all of this that if weed were to be eaten it would have absolutly no negative side effects. It's a proven fact and also that if we legalized it better strains would be easier to afford which would allow people who prefer to smoke it to smoke a smaller amount to get the desired effect. I don't know if any of you guys have tried authentice kush or haze strains, but one hit and ur good, there's no way u could cheef a whole joint to yourself... noobs

Incorrect.

It also harms the brain, destroying the nerve receptors that feel pleasure, as well as liquifying the section of the brain that makes decisions and solves problems. It can also destroy your memory.

Brain soup, anyone?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Last edited by PlayMadness at Apr 8, 2008,
there are some problems with this study 1.) they used too small a sample size, 2.) there are several studies that contradict this. also I can't find a complete copy of the study so I have no clue how exactly they came to this conclusion. The fact is that smoking anything regularly is bad for your lungs, but I'm still not convinced that weed is that bad for you
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Oh, and inb4 this bull**** used as an argument against legalization.
Rig

Meh, i'll just buy a volcano vapouriser...
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.