Page 1 of 2
So I'm a 17 year old, almost 18, and I want to go an a diet.

I am 6'2" and I weigh ~255lbs.

What is a good diet for somebody like me? I don't necessarily want to gain muscle, just lose fat.
Self-explanatory, for the most part. Stay away from stuff which is obviously fatty. Make sure you have 3 meals a day, no snacking in between.

Also, beer goes straight to flab. So cut down on any booze.

Exercise too. At least try and get a bit of walking or something every day, just don't stay sedentary. Diet alone won't be enough.
Losing fat requires you do a lot of cardiovascular exercise. Running, cycling, swimming, climbing, etc. While you try to burn the fat you should also keep your diet low in fat, obviously. Don't have too many carbohydrates either. Only eat high-carb foods if you're feeling exhausted.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Eat healthy.

Exercise.

It's okay to splurge every once in a while on a diet, just don't make a habit out of it.

/thread
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by webbtje
Self-explanatory, for the most part. Stay away from stuff which is obviously fatty. Make sure you have 3 meals a day, no snacking in between.

Also, beer goes straight to flab. So cut down on any booze.

Exercise too. At least try and get a bit of walking or something every day, just don't stay sedentary. Diet alone won't be enough.

You can snack, jut not too much.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
i have no clue, since i'm really skinny and don't care about my health currently
but my english teacher was talking about it with some of the girls in the class. she lost 100 lbs in two years. i guess just don't eat crappy food, don't snack a lot, and make sure you eat breakfast, plus eat your other meals at normal times throughout the day, like don't eat lunch at like two or supper at four or five or something.
This is really the wrong forum for this. Most guitar players are a bunch of scrawny bastards so don't look for them for work out advice haha. Anyway I post over at http://forums.steroid.com and there is lots of competitive body builders and even guys who were once very obese who ended up ripped. I know the anme has steroids in it but that isn't what the site is all about. Juicers just tend to be some of the more dedicated body builders. Anyway go on there and read the how to cut sticky in the diet forum and come up with a diet that works for you and plug it into www.fitday.com to check the macro nutrients. My last bit of advice is if you don't plan to consistantly follow this diet along with atleast 40 min of cardio 5-6 days a week don't waste your time just stay fat.
Quote by StreetLight3989
You can snack, jut not too much.

Well, yeah. And there are healthy things that can be nibbled at too.
Apples are good snacks.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Try asking your family doctor or a fitness website forum instead of a guitar forum.

Genius.
get a good pair of running shoes, and put them to use

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Pot and heroin.

Jokes!

Seriously, go to your GP or doctor, they know absoulutly tons about what you should do.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by M Power
This is really the wrong forum for this. Most guitar players are a bunch of scrawny bastards so don't look for them for work out advice haha. Anyway I post over at http://forums.steroid.com and there is lots of competitive body builders and even guys who were once very obese who ended up ripped. I know the anme has steroids in it but that isn't what the site is all about. Juicers just tend to be some of the more dedicated body builders. Anyway go on there and read the how to cut sticky in the diet forum and come up with a diet that works for you and plug it into www.fitday.com to check the macro nutrients. My last bit of advice is if you don't plan to consistantly follow this diet along with atleast 40 min of cardio 5-6 days a week don't waste your time just stay fat.

Broken link, man. That sounds useful, though, I'll check them out too
You don't need a diet, it's a lifestyle change you want. The ideas posted here are great, and you may also want to cut down on snacks and eat slowly, chew well so you'd feel right away when you're already full.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Lil Macker
Pot and heroin.

Jokes!

Seriously, go to your GP or doctor, they know absoulutly tons about what you should do.
Pot would have the opposite effect (the munchies).

You're thinking of cigarettes.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I meant like diets where people monitor you (shiz like south beach, Atkins, etc.)

I've discovered I just can't trust myself. I tried this same thing a few months ago, and in 2 weeks, I was right back eating fatty crap and not exercising.

/me lacking self discipline
really the only true diet is a balanced diet. so to lose weight just do that and excercise more.
hello
I lost alot of weight (like 40 pounds) by going on a carb diet when i was 16. Stay away from as much carbs as possible and stick to eating almost any kind of meat or healthy stuff. Just stay away from grains like bread, or potatoes. When i did it i didnt care about eating fat, because i think watching carbs work better. Either way i lost weight very fast
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Dude, as someone who has lost like 90 pounds and pretty much doubled his muscle strength and endurance, and doesn't look like a muscle bound freak as a result, just disregard everyone else and listen to me. Sorry everyone else.

First. Eliminate all bread, rice, grains, and other starches, and milk, first of all. You might think those are the things to eat, but you'll end up gaining more weight.

What you really want to eat, plainly, is fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meats, yogurt, and water.

NO SODA, not even diet.

And even though you don't want to gain muscle, you should work out, at least a monday tuesday friday thing. And you don't have to be doing one arm pushups and one legged squats or anything, just stretch out and go for a jog for 20-30 minutes. You can increase results super quick if you can find any way to do your work out as soon as you get up without eating anything. You'll burn off straight fat.

Oh, yeah, don't be afraid to eat more than 3 times a day. What you should do, is eat 6 meals that are in between snack and meal size, to keep your metabolism going all day long. Don't eat 2-3 hours before you go to bed, and DO NOT eat until you're full.

And 255 isn't really really bad for 6'2". I'm 6', was up right around 300, and now I weigh about 210. You can see how fat I was in my one profile pic of me playing my Jackson Warrior.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by webbtje
Broken link, man. That sounds useful, though, I'll check them out too

I fixed the link try it again. It is a great site. I recently got my diet back in check after losing a lot of my gains. I went from 145 pounds to 195 over about a year and a half. Mostly all muscle. The trick is consistency though. Good diets only work when you follow it every day not a few times a week.
My advice, if you're serious is just start going to the gym and eat better.

But make gradual changes. Your body needs to know your new diet. If you start going to the gym every other day and only replenish with fruit, it's gonna wonder what the hell is going on. And you'll feel like ****.
go vegan!
research that and vegetarianism if youd like, low fat diet, no animal fat or cholestorol
its might not help you loose alot, but you wont gain any more.

overweight/obestity is due to a animal based diet, just look at the US
im a wrestler so if anybody knows how to lose weight it's us, just eat healthy, limit cheese, limit fats, if you crave something sweet eat a sweet fruit, like kiwi or mango, find what kind of healthy foods you like. DONT EAT LESS JUST BETTER. excersize is vital, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. if you need more help message me
Quote by HavokStrife

First. Eliminate all bread, rice, grains, and other starches, and milk, first of all. You might think those are the things to eat, but you'll end up gaining more weight.

What you really want to eat, plainly, is fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meats, yogurt, and water.

NO SODA, not even diet.

I second that. Also keep gum/tic tacs in your pocket. Thats what i did, whenever you want to cave in chew a piece of gum and its like magic. (also try tic tacs because there like eating nothing, but i chew the orange ones and theyre like diet candy)

And yea, diet soda doesnt help if your on a diet at all, its better than regular but i guess the sodium(?) slows your diet down really bad, and youll barely be losing anything
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
A few years back I lost 40 pounds over the course of 3 months. I am 5'9".
What I did to achieve this was eat 2 - 3 meals per day. It was vital to make sure they were healthy portions and balanced. Other than that, I just combined running, cycling, and body-weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, crunches). I did this every day. It changed my metabolism permanently it seems. To this day, I don't have to do intense exercise or watch what I eat as closely.
i think the best form of exercise to burn off fat is swimming, because you use every single muscle in your body. i think diet is a personal thing, with respect to content and style, so i cant really offer any good help on that.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Btw here is my current diet

Meal 1 - 8 egg whites, 2 small whole wheat tortillas with no fat cheese, and one package of maple flavored low sugar oatmeal, one scoop of whey protien in water

Meal 2 - Can and a half of tuna with a table spoon of olive oil

Meal 3 - Chicken quesadilla with 1/4 pound of grilled chicken, fat free cheese, no fat yogurt, banana and one scoop of whey

Meal 4 - Can and a half of tuna with table spoon of olive oil

Work out

Meal 5 - Post work out shake (protien and carb blend)

Meal 6 - 1/4 of low fat ground turkey, brocolli and one scoop of whey

Meal 7 - No fat cottage cheese, no fat yogurt and a scoop of whey
Quote by theshroomman
go vegan!
research that and vegetarianism if youd like, low fat diet, no animal fat or cholestorol
its might not help you loose alot, but you wont gain any more.

overweight/obestity is due to a animal based diet, just look at the US

Vegan isn't a bad idea, it's actually a pretty good idea. It's extremely expensive though and a lot of people just do it for "animal rights" and eat chips and cookies all day long.

And I beg to differ on animal based diets. US people are fat because they eat horribly. Animals eat other animal and you don't see them out in the wilderness looking like these people on reality TV shows that weight 600 pounds.
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I wouldn't only go on a diet if I were you. It is important that you exercise as well.
I'd view more as a lifestyle change.
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
6'2"? eat about 2000-2200 calories a day from properly balanced food groups. Eat a big breakfast, don't eat after 6:30 or 7:00pm. Every gimmicky diet is a load of BS. Don't eat fast food or packaged sweets, etc. Drink a ton of water, and no soda or other such things. It's pretty self explanitory.

Exercise is key, so go out of your way to walk places you would have driven/ridden. Take the long route when you're walking somewhere. If you can get something done in one trip, make two anyway.

Quote by wylde_overdrive
I meant like diets where people monitor you (shiz like south beach, Atkins, etc.)

I've discovered I just can't trust myself. I tried this same thing a few months ago, and in 2 weeks, I was right back eating fatty crap and not exercising.

/me lacking self discipline

People advise against this, but weigh in every day. Go to caloriecount.com and start keeping track of your intake. If you pay attention to what you're doing, and notice that you lose a lb every 5 or 6 days, then you suddenly have motivation. Themed diets like those listed above are bad. Atkins-->get skinny then die from a heart attack because your arteries are filled with cholesterol. If you want someone to monitor you, then diet with a friend, you can also work out together and keep each other in check on both of these things.

Quote by HavokStrife
Dude, as someone who has lost like 90 pounds and pretty much doubled his muscle strength and endurance, and doesn't look like a muscle bound freak as a result, just disregard everyone else and listen to me. Sorry everyone else.

No theme diets! skinny =/= healthy, a super high protein diet with no carbs is a load of crap. It will lean you down, but it is certainly not good for you.
Quote by M Power
Btw here is my current diet

Meal 1 - 8 egg whites, 2 small whole wheat tortillas with no fat cheese, and one package of maple flavored low sugar oatmeal, one scoop of whey protien in water

Meal 2 - Can and a half of tuna with a table spoon of olive oil

Meal 3 - Chicken quesadilla with 1/4 pound of grilled chicken, fat free cheese, no fat yogurt, banana and one scoop of whey

Meal 4 - Can and a half of tuna with table spoon of olive oil

Work out

Meal 5 - Post work out shake (protien and carb blend)

Meal 6 - 1/4 of low fat ground turkey, brocolli and one scoop of whey

Meal 7 - No fat cottage cheese, no fat yogurt and a scoop of whey

See, this is a little ****ing crazy on the protein. My god. Follow this diet only if you wanna look like a diesel truck. You better hit the gym like crazy too.
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
If you want to lose weight, the best advice I can give you is to drink as much water as you can.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
why dont you make a bet with someone else of similar physique: set a target weight to be achieved over a certain time, and check in with each other regularly and weigh yourselves and compare often.

and the bet has to be big, like $1000 or something, so that if you lose then it will really really suck for you financially (like cant pay rent). two guys actually did this and were reviewed in "The Economist", the focus being on the monetary incentive, not on the long run incentive of looking good.

they were both successful.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
I used to be pretty fat a few years ago. Since I became a vegetarian, my weight has dropped to a level I'm happy at, and with that has come improved fitness etc. Not saying it'll work for everyone, you could give it a go though.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by HavokStrife
See, this is a little ****ing crazy on the protein. My god. Follow this diet only if you wanna look like a diesel truck. You better hit the gym like crazy too.

It is high on protien as it is designed as a lean bulk diet. I do high intensity weight training for about 35 minutes with one body part per day doing heavy weight compound lifts mostly. Then I do 35 minutes of cardio. When I want to get much bulkier I will actually eat around 4k calories a day and not as clean as that diet. This is a primer to build some mass on me and lean out before I run an all out cutting diet starting june. Usually when I get up to 4k calories I will add certain steroid compounds which I don't recommend at all to most on thsi site as they are under 21 and not in shape to begin with. The diet I showed wasn't really to be followed so much as to see how important structure is. Not mixing fats and carbs and cutting off carbs toward the end of the day.
Page 1 of 2