well with gas prices going up i want to sell my truck for a motorcycle. now im expecting to get around 8 or 9 grand for my truck and i am planning on throwing in about 2000 more to get a bike and gear. at this point i do not need a truck for the most part i drive by myself and i never really use the bed for hauling and if i do need to my dad has a truck and he lives about 30 miles away and most of my friends have a truck.

so my question for ug is which bike and what gear should i get. im looking at around 10000 maybe more for bike and gear.
Last edited by Haggard_Cky at Apr 8, 2008,
uh, you should probably start on a 250, something like the kawasaki ninja 250. it gets AMAZING gas mileage and won't kill you the first time you twist the throttle. there are also a few metric cruisers in the 250 range, and you could probably go up to a 600 on a cruiser.

i would definitely not recommend getting a 600cc sport bike to start, it will be difficult to learn on (if you survive) and you will never be able to outgrow it.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
that would be pretty cool i must say, but i think im leaning more in the direction of the yamaha FZ1 2008 or honda CBR600RR 2008 both in black

EDIT: after reading your post ur prolly right these bikes are way too big for me. i dont think i want a 250 but looking at the specs the yamaha is 1000cc i think which way too big. is there any thing inbetween the 250 and 600 on sportbikes? i might just settle for a 600 cruiser to learn on like you said.
Last edited by Haggard_Cky at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by Haggard_Cky
that would be pretty cool i must say, but i think im leaning more in the direction of the yamaha FZ1 2008 or honda CBR600RR 2008 both in black

EDIT: after reading your post ur prolly right these bikes are way too big for me. i dont think i want a 250 but looking at the specs the yamaha is 1000cc i think which way too big. is there any thing inbetween the 250 and 600 on sportbikes? i might just settle for a 600 cruiser to learn on like you said.

kawasaki does make one model in between, the ninja 500. unfortunately, things here in america only sell if theyre bigger and more badass than last year, regardless of safety.

consider this though: on my cbr600 i get maybe 50mpg with smooth freeway riding (but forget that in town) and on my ninja 250 i get 70+mpg freeway and 60-65 in town.

a 1000cc sport bike will burn gas like a car does, and if you are concerned about gas mileage and safety (which i assume you are since you're buying gear) anything above a 600 cruiser is really not a good choice for a first bike. anything with RR or R in the name means its a supersport, which are meant for balls-out speed on straightaways rather than gas mileage. also, the bigger the bike, the crappier the handling is until you are really experienced.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Quote by Masknought
i would definitely not recommend getting a 600cc sport bike to start, it will be difficult to learn on (if you survive) and you will never be able to outgrow it.

Actually the newer 600's are really easy to ride these days, as long as you take it steady for a while while you're still learning.
But a better idea would be something like a Hornet600, ER-6N or a FZ6 Fazer if you can get them over there. Any middleweight street bike will be plenty fast enough for a new rider - I had a CB500 for my first proper bike, and even that would do 130ish.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Sport bikes are for wimps. Get a Harley.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i have friend that works at a woods fun center so ill prolly head up there this weekend or something, i just kinda want to know what to look for before i go. right now i am getting 16 mpg so pretty much any bike will get better than that.

i really want a sprots bike but im not sure if i want one that is a 250, i rode my friends sports bike and i loved it, i need to ask him how big it was, i think it was a 600.
Quote by Haggard_Cky
i have friend that works at a woods fun center so ill prolly head up there this weekend or something, i just kinda want to know what to look for before i go. right now i am getting 16 mpg so pretty much any bike will get better than that.

i really want a sprots bike but im not sure if i want one that is a 250, i rode my friends sports bike and i loved it, i need to ask him how big it was, i think it was a 600.

If you've got your heart set on one then go for it.
I would recommend getting some decent training if you've not really ridden much before. Over here at least they just teach you to pass the test, rather than teach you how to ride. It's well worth learning about stuff like counter-steering if you're serious about riding.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
ya i know to get my parents cool with this i am going to have to take a class or something. which i would like to do because as you can tell i dont know **** about bikes. i did find an 05 fz6 so i might try and ride it this weekend
I had a Katana but the damn thing got stolen.

I would definitely recommend a Ninja EX500. They have more punch than the 250 and look cooler too. They are only about 5000, so you can slap a Muzzy pipe on it and some dunlops, get a real good helmet, riding jacket and the others.

Don't forget about insurance, tax, title and registration when you buy though. If you are getting enough to pay cash on the bike, pay in full, so the insurance will be cheaper.
Quote by imgooley
I had a Katana but the damn thing got stolen.

I would definitely recommend a Ninja EX500. They have more punch than the 250 and look cooler too. They are only about 5000, so you can slap a Muzzy pipe on it and some dunlops, get a real good helmet, riding jacket and the others.

Don't forget about insurance, tax, title and registration when you buy though. If you are getting enough to pay cash on the bike, pay in full, so the insurance will be cheaper.

EX500? Is that the same as the GPZ500?

That would be pretty good to learn on, but if you're after a superbike you'd be ready to change it after a year. If you're careful, a 600 like an R6 or CBR600 would be great, and you'd not need to swap it for a while. At least until you're wanting a 1000 in a couple of years (cos whatever you've got you'll always want something faster )

Quote by Kumanji
Quote by RockingRick
I want a bike 2 , are bikes really that expensive though ?

Depends what you're after. You could get an decent enough older bike for under a grand. Or if you've got £40,000 burning a hole in your pocket you could buy my dream bike - the Ducati Desmosedici RR.

Basically a full-on 200bhp MotoGP bike with lights and mirrors.

Quote by Kumanji