A Battle is being held our school in 6 weeks, and I was talking to one of my teachers, who is judging, and he says that all bands are judged on originality. A Point system on how much you move around, and if you play originals. Before I knew this, my band was planning on doing Soundgarden's "Spoonman," The Beatles "Come Together," and an original. Now i'm thinking of doing 2 originals (One that is Hendrix/Trower esque, and the other being a bit Zeppelin like in the guitar parts). My drum and bass player dont want to do it, because they dont care about winning, but what my point is to TRY and win, cause they have a very plain attitude towards playing live. At our last gig, my bass player just stood near his amp, and didn't move at all. When I actually walked around the stage a bit. My idea was to try to win, they dont care about it all. I don't care if we win, but I atleast want to try, I don't think they really want to. Is there any other way I can convince them, without I saying I will quit the band, cause I said that before, and they didn't believe me.
they must't be very good then... Kick them in the bollocks.. that should sort them out...
do Spoonman and two originals
then they might think that Spoonman is an original, but everyone knows the first track from Abbey Road!
good luck, yo
Rockin' shit
jump around and be careful, you'll seem like a real rocker

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
do Spoonman and two originals
then they might think that Spoonman is an original, but everyone knows the first track from Abbey Road!
good luck, yo

I don't know, our singer (chick) struggles a bit with Chris Cornell vocals a bit. We were originally going to do "Cochise," but she couldn't do that scream when Tom Morello plays by himself, and he comes in. I'd rather do a cover that were really good at instead of a doing a cover we haven't even rehearsed yet, and our singer can somewhat sing.
well, i wouldn't know how to go about trying to convince your friends, to be honest...maybe call them out and say that they obviously aren't serious about the band if they are "plain" about playin live gigs and see where that goes and progress from there?
i guess you can try that

about the onstage presence, yeah you need to do stuff and get active and have a good time and show the audience you're having a good time, but you can't be a douche about it, you can't go all crazy heavy metal headbanging shenanigans while playing the beatles or something
do something that fits the style of music
and, the simpler, the better, usually

and
what's the music scene like at your school? you might wanna choose something along the lines of that to please the crowd, but don't conform to anything lol, still do something you enjoy playing, but make it a crowd pleaser

sorry about the wall of text, just trying to help
I'd pay to see headbanging to the Beatles. Make an extreme metal Beatles tribute.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
My school is doing a battle of the bands but the winner is the band that sells the most tickets which basically defeats the whole purpose.
Retired Ug Radio Dj
(I think that means i'm important)
Leader of the MIKE PATTON Worshipper club Pm me to join
Quote by Bleed Blue
well, i wouldn't know how to go about trying to convince your friends, to be honest...maybe call them out and say that they obviously aren't serious about the band if they are "plain" about playin live gigs and see where that goes and progress from there?
i guess you can try that

about the onstage presence, yeah you need to do stuff and get active and have a good time and show the audience you're having a good time, but you can't be a douche about it, you can't go all crazy heavy metal headbanging shenanigans while playing the beatles or something
do something that fits the style of music
and, the simpler, the better, usually

and
what's the music scene like at your school? you might wanna choose something along the lines of that to please the crowd, but don't conform to anything lol, still do something you enjoy playing, but make it a crowd pleaser

sorry about the wall of text, just trying to help

Well, the last gig we played was at our school for a fundraiser, but this was before we had our new singer, our last singer sucked, and screwed up the lyrics to every song, cause he was not dedicated, and never came to rehearsals. The crowd favorite that we played was the Hendrix/Trower esque original, which is what we were still going to play, but everything is mixed at my school. Pretty much everything in between the stoners listening to Disco Biscuits and Moe to the preppy chicks listening to the Jonas Brothers