ok i have an Ibanez '87 Roadstar. i dont play it very often but recently i decided to change the strings and start playing it again. it has neck bolts (the things on the top of the neck that you screw in so it stays in tune) and a whammy bar. i have the new strings on but when i try to tune it the whammy bridge thing keeps coming up as i tune the strings tighter. i just cant get the thing to be "normal". what the hell is wrong lol.

can someone help?
incubus rocks my world
Neck bolts? You mean a locking nut. How far is the Edge coming up? If it comes up but stays parallel to the the route, you're fine.
Trem claw in the back needs to be pulled tighter. or something.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
By neck bolts, I assume you mean a locking nut.

Sounds to me like your bridge springs (in the back that counter the pull of the strings) are loose. If it's not too bad you should be able to pull of the backplate and tighten up the the screws on the spring claw (tighten it further into the wood). If that doesn't do the trick you need new springs which run from 5-15 bucks. no big deal really. Your local guitar shop probably has strings on the shelf for strat style guitars like the Roadstar.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Is this a floating bridge?

You didn't take all of the strings off at once, did you?

im not sure a floating bridge is, although i've heard of it before, but yes i did take all the strings off...
incubus rocks my world
It should be an Original Edge. It pulling up is completely normal. Get it up to tension before saying you need adjustments.
Quote by CJRocker
It should be an Original Edge. It pulling up is completely normal. Get it up to tension before saying you need adjustments.

care to elaborate?
incubus rocks my world
Are the strings properly stretched in? Strings always need time to be stretched before they'll settle; especially on a floating trem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.