So my band is playing at this Canada Day Festival (July 1st, for anyone who doesnt know) and This will be our First Gig in front of people. We actually sound pretty great together, but does anyone have any tips on not getting nervous/screwing up on stage? we are going to have most of our School there and if we screw up...well, it wont be pretty.
Errr...you're gonna be nervous.... end of story whatever you do. Just get up there and have fun....any phuck ups...just laugh them off and carry on. You'll be fine and you'll have a great time

Good luck.
[
i how not to screw up!
dont screw up simple...
headbang even when there is no music..
drink lots of beer until you cant walk should help nerves and give you a bit dutch courage.
i know how not to screw up!
dont screw up simple...
headbang even when there is no music..
drink lots of beer until you cant walk should help nerves and give you a bit dutch courage.

have i posted this twice?
also buying a bigger amp might be an idea... you need 100 watts..
Quote by Skuzzmo
Getting pissed doesn't help....

But you'll think it does.

Seriously though, just play a couple of songs and you'll feel fine. The initial shock is usually over by then. Then just enjoy yourself.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
whatever u do, youre still going to be nervous. all you can do is play your songs, and trust that the rest of the band knows them as well as you do. if you do mess up, just keep going, and dont look around at your mates if they screw up. chances are the crowd doesnt know your songs at all, so any mistakes u make, they wont notice, unless its just THAT bad. ive been for a couple years now, and most of the time, for us anyways, the show that we thought we sucked most, was the one that the people seemed to enjoy most.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
I can amen that Dishburn.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by uvq
also buying a bigger amp might be an idea... you need 100 watts..

wrongwrongwrong 1000 times wrong but that debate is for GG&A.

OP: July is a long way off, sometime before then try throwing a much smaller little party and play for a group of your friends or even just invite a handful of people to your practice and run your setlist for them. Treat it like a real show, talk to the crowd like they were strangers and don't know you, be energetic and most of all if you make a mistake recover and keep playing. Don't stop and restart the song.

It will get you a little more comfortable playing in front of people, teach you how to push through mistakes and most of all if you do it right your friends should have some valuable feedback about your performance and stage presence.

good luck and have fun.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by gald

OP: July is a long way off, sometime before then try throwing a much smaller little party and play for a group of your friends or even just invite a handful of people to your practice and run your setlist for them. Treat it like a real show, talk to the crowd like they were strangers and don't know you, be energetic and most of all if you make a mistake recover and keep playing. Don't stop and restart the song.

It will get you a little more comfortable playing in front of people, teach you how to push through mistakes and most of all if you do it right your friends should have some valuable feedback about your performance and stage presence.

good luck and have fun.

+1
Quote by Skuzzmo
Getting pissed doesn't help....

whilst this is true (and very much so, at a recentish gig the rhythm section drank a large proportion of a case of peroni before getting on stage... it wasn't pretty, some interesting rhythmic developments and some unexpected on the fly setlist changes were a result), i think a few drinks do help you loosen up and relax enough that if and when you make a mistake it doesn't bother you, to ensure that you feel loose and comfortable enough to just play with abandon and enjoy it, which will show through in your performance. or something.

but then again, i'm guessing that you're some schoolkid so this is pretty irrelevant. basically, you have lots of time. just keep practising.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Thanks Gald, ill try getting a few people to Come to our practise or something. We are hitting a recording studio sometime in May i think so i can Give a few CD's out too. maby that will get them interested.
hey buddy

im a 15 year old too, and ive been gigging for like a year now. i f*ck up at least once at every gig, but i can honestly tell you nobody ever notices. if you act a bit professional about it it shouldnt be a problem. like, if you screw up keep going, dont stop all together and make the rest of the band look bad. but yeah, like that other guy said, july is a little way off, practice ur set to death and try get a gig or two before the big day. and if ur nervous about there being so many people watching you, remember; they're all there to see you! that means that they are atleast curious to see what you guys are like, as a musician, you should be proud. well done on making the gig, btw.
Tuby,

Rub one out before the show. Rock on.

Dish

listen to this man
when in doubt rub one out
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
the biggest tip of live music:

most people won't even notice if you mess up (unless its really bad), if you do mess up keep playing
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by uvq

You'll also play crap.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
If you have a beer or two it should help you relax without really affecting your motor skills in any way. Since you are 15 just steal some from your dad and drink them in the bathroom.
I'm also 15, and i play in a band with my friends, and i know the day we were playing our first gig at the facktory we were all very nervious. It'll pass after playing for a little.

And for some helpful tips, if your having a fun time on the stage, the crowd will have a fun time too. And definately keep playing if you or a friend messes up.

Good luck for your show!
Quote by Sublime Stylee
If you have a beer or two it should help you relax without really affecting your motor skills in any way. Since you are 15 just steal some from your dad and drink them in the bathroom.

I remember Vodka Shooters Calmed me Right down Last christmas
Biggest tip I can offer.

Start off with a Cover.

Reasons for this:

1. Right off you have people's attention if they reconize a song so they will listen to a song or two of yours since your a new band and unknown.

2. You get to know the crowd, and the crowd gets to know you and your taste(s) in music, you both relax and start to have fun. Then you can properly play your music the way it should be played, while having a good time.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Biggest tip I can offer.

Start off with a Cover.

Reasons for this:

1. Right off you have people's attention if they reconize a song so they will listen to a song or two of yours since your a new band and unknown.

2. You get to know the crowd, and the crowd gets to know you and your taste(s) in music, you both relax and start to have fun. Then you can properly play your music the way it should be played, while having a good time.

yeah, so Far our Setlist is something along these lines

1- Small Town by John Melancamp (an altred arrangement)
2- Little WIng by Hendrix (once again, a bit Altred arangement)
3- Original Song guitarist Wrote
4 and 5 have yet to be decided.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would start off with Hendrix first, but thats just me.

yeah the starting song isnt final yet i just listed the songs in the Order we Learned them lol.
just go have fun. and practice until you could play it in your sleep. and don't be too stiff (move around). and don't look so scared/bored/boring. and don't suck.

then you'll be fine haha
yer just like kevlarmusicmojo said, move about the stage and stuff, make sure all ur guitars are ok and in tune and you be ok, laugh with the crowd as well, try gettting them to move and jump to the beat.
Quote by irongoat666
1. Acquire 3 sheep (or any other animal for that matter)
2. Spray paint the numbers 1, 2 and 4 on them
3. Set them loose

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Play your easiest song (or the song that's easiest for you to play) first. This means that during your first song, when nerves are going to be affecting you the most on stage, you have an absolute doddle of a song to play.
Once that first song is over with, as long as you did OK, your confidence should have risen.
Between now and then though, rehearse the set, in the same order and how you would play it on the night. Practice it over and over and over. Repeat the set three times in a single rehearsal if you have time. That way, it'll get ingraned in you and become second nature so you probably couldn't lose your place even if you tried.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Biggest tip I can offer.

Start off with a Cover.

Reasons for this:

Sorry but i disagree, if you are nervous there is a good chance that u cud mess up a song, so if you start with a well known song and make a mistake, the crowd is likely to realise u made it, however,

if you play an original most mistakes wont be realised and u cud always improvise to make it better, this is mostly for ur first few gigs, coz thats when u'll be most nervous, id play a cover in second place coz the first song will get u pumped up if it doesnt then give up music and become a cleaner (just kiddin)

hope i was helpful.
Last edited by thedefrockednun at May 3, 2008,