Ok, so today I've been looking around at LP shapes with EMG/Blackouts factory installed, because if I buy an Epi Custom I'll have to put them in myself, which would make the guitar $200 USD more, plus I've been told with Epi LP's (minus the Elitest) that the nut, TOM bridge, and more than likely ALL the wiring should be replaced. So total that would probably come to over $900, which is going to be a huge stretch, especially because there's a $100 case on top of all that. (I'm going to be working all summer for this, and selling current gear).

I couldn't find any with Blackouts, but I really like EMG's so it's not a problem. I found two LTD's in my price range (first on is stretching it but it's possible), the ESP EC-1000 and the ESP LTD EC-500.

They both have EMG's (81/60). The 1000 has locking tuners/bridge. Neither come with a case, but I can deal with that.

So my question is how are these ESP's going to fare against an Epi? Will they still get that fat LP tone? Or are they not really the same? The Epi I would go for is this LP custom. Would I be better off buying the Epi and putting the extras on it (TOM bridge, nut, wiring, pups, possible new tuners?), or would it be better for me to get one of the ESP's?

Either way I think I'll end up spending about the same, unless I go for the cheaper ESP. I'm not too worried about going over, because x-mas and my birthday will only be a few months away when I buy a guitar, so I'll be able to pay for some then hopefully will receive the other things as gifts.

So has anyone have any experience with these ESP's? What would you say I do?
I personally did not have the money to buy a real ESP, so I went with the LTD EC-500, but I couldn't have been happier. ESP/LTD are very good guitars, very reliable with a good quality control.

I would recommend you hold out for an ESP eclipse, because they tend to use better woods, and the quality control is even more stringent. However, LTDs are very good guitars for the money. Definitely better than Epiphone guitars in my opinion.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I personally did not have the money to buy a real ESP, so I went with the LTD EC-500, but I couldn't have been happier. ESP/LTD are very good guitars, very reliable with a good quality control.

I would recommend you hold out for an ESP eclipse, because they tend to use better woods, and the quality control is even more stringent. However, LTDs are very good guitars for the money. Definitely better than Epiphone guitars in my opinion.

Hmmm, ok, that's def something to consider. The EC1000 really comes with everything I want, I was just wondering does the ESP/LTD compare at all to the Gibson/Epi Lp's? Like sound wise. I know with EMG's it's all going to sound pretty close tho lol.

Another thing is how doe's the EMG 60 compare to the EMG 81? I've never played the 60, I'm assuming it's cleaner? Or is it the opposite and more aggressive than the 85?
The ESP/LTD for sure, I don't think modding the Epi is really worth it, but that's just me. and since you need the guitar for metal purposes, then definitely the EC cause it has the pickups put in and all.

Also the EC looks better, but that's not really relevant.
well edusty2010 i got the EC-1000 vb and put blackouts in it and couldnt be happier. dont think i will ever play another guitar again was thinking about buying a les paul myself but forgot about that once i got my eclipse. but all in all EMGs were nice, but you get blackouts and EMGs can go suck one
Quote by sum_ugly_man
The ESP/LTD for sure, I don't think modding the Epi is really worth it, but that's just me. and since you need the guitar for metal purposes, then definitely the EC cause it has the pickups put in and all.

Also the EC looks better, but that's not really relevant.

That's kind of what I thought, because honestly I can do wiring, but I don't trust myself at all with replacing the wiring in a $600 instrument. So now I'm thinking ESP/LTD. I do agree on the looks, but I hate that the only white one has a black headstock so I'm thinking black or another color with a matching headstock (I hate it when you have a light color with a dark color headstock, IMO it can't clash at all or the guitar looks really shoddy, that's why I just prefer it to match).

The EMG question still stands tho, will the 60 make much of a difference? I listened to the sound clips on EMG's website and I could hear a terrible difference.

Quote by Ahab3000
well edusty2010 i got the EC-1000 vb and put blackouts in it and couldnt be happier. dont think i will ever play another guitar again was thinking about buying a les paul myself but forgot about that once i got my eclipse. but all in all EMGs were nice, but you get blackouts and EMGs can go suck one

Haha, I was just thinking about that. Maybe like get the 1000 then later on down the line put blackouts in it. Sound's like a good idea to me, and this guitar is seeming to come with everything I really want (only second choice thing are the EMG's, but I still love them) so I'm thinking this is what I'm going to start looking for.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 8, 2008,
P.S. screw the valve king go balls to the wall and get a 6505 or a 5150 if you can find one
yea true that they are a bit pricey. but speaking from my experience and what i use you could look into a line 6 pod x3 live. its a very good investment and a very versatile piece of equipment, has a lot of good tones and for live or playing it in an amp all you need is a clean power amp which arent too expensive and whatever cab you want
Quote by Ahab3000
yea true that they are a bit pricey. but speaking from my experience and what i use you could look into a line 6 pod x3 live. its a very good investment and a very versatile piece of equipment, has a lot of good tones and for live or playing it in an amp all you need is a clean power amp which arent too expensive and whatever cab you want

Honestly I've tried about 2-3 line 6 amps and hated them all. WAY to digital sounding for me. I tried the Peavey and loved it, really let the tone of the guitar through IMO. That and I don't really need a bajillion watts, a 50w tube amp will be more than enough. When I get older, start to gig, etc., then I'll buy one of those massive amps but now the VK is enough
so anyway a 5150 mark I head should cost you peanuts..I have seen them on ebay and other such second hand places for really cheap. Granted the 6505 or even 5150 mark II are gonna be a bit more expensive. The original one does have a monstrous distorted tone..i mean machinehead used it to record Burn My Eyes...can;t be bad eh?

The EMG-60 is a more rounded tone...making it better for clean sounds and such like. You wouldnt want to trade it for an 81 in the bridge but I know people that prefer the 60 to the 85.which is often matched with an 81 (a la Zakk Wylde). The 85 actually has a higher output than the 81 but its a much smoother and warmer tone.

Anyways dude...whichever guitar you choose is gonna be bad assed because u have made good choices from the beginnings haha

But you are right man..avoid line 6 like the plague. Especially if u wanna play live...u need valves..mmmm tasty...

Cheers!
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by Bigdave9576
so anyway a 5150 mark I head should cost you peanuts..I have seen them on ebay and other such second hand places for really cheap. Granted the 6505 or even 5150 mark II are gonna be a bit more expensive. The original one does have a monstrous distorted tone..i mean machinehead used it to record Burn My Eyes...can;t be bad eh?

The EMG-60 is a more rounded tone...making it better for clean sounds and such like. You wouldnt want to trade it for an 81 in the bridge but I know people that prefer the 60 to the 85.which is often matched with an 81 (a la Zakk Wylde). The 85 actually has a higher output than the 81 but its a much smoother and warmer tone.

Anyways dude...whichever guitar you choose is gonna be bad assed because u have made good choices from the beginnings haha

But you are right man..avoid line 6 like the plague. Especially if u wanna play live...u need valves..mmmm tasty...

Cheers!

Whoops, my bad, I said 81 in that post, I meant to compare the 60 and 85 (like you said, ZW lol). But I don't think it's a big deal, they'll probably get swapped for Blackouts eventually.

Yeah, I'm really trying to get the best thing for my cash because I'm gonna practically give away my summer for it lol.

I may try to find something cheap on ebay, but idk, I just hope I don't get some POS lol. I'd be more likely to buy the amp on ebay than the guitar tho.

I agree, valves = better than solid state, almost every time. There are VERY few exceptions. Plus I just hate line 6 in general lol.
The 85 in the neck position is good for metal and hi-gain stuff, whereas the 60 sounds a little bassier when distorted but the cleans are absolutely brilliant. If you want to keep the versatility of using cleans (And you will), I recommend the 60.
The 81 in the bridge is great for metal or anything distorted really. It makes the neck pickup almost obselete when it comes to hi-gain stuff.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I own an Eclipse II. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I use the Gibson once a month, when we play memorial gigs or stuff like that. The Eclipse is one of my main axes. I use it in standard tuning, and its absolutely amazing at rhythm. I dont really solo on it much, though I easily could, the playability of it is rivaled (in my experience) to the neck feel of a 335. The 60 pickup is much cleaner than the 81 (which i highly reccomend more than the 85) It sounds great when distorted and sweeping, or general clean stuff.