ok, i was going to get a set of seymour duncan dave mustaine signatures for my esp, but recently found out you cant split them. because i was to stupid to understand how actives worked. anyways, i am having to settle for something else. i found a set of emgs that are splittable, (81 TW, 89), that seem pretty interesting. can anyone tell me a bit more about them? sorry for being a little incoherant before.

EDIT: oh, today im going to get them, so i need to know, white or ivory?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMG89-Split-Coil-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup?sku=301506

in this guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F2E-Electric-Guitar?sku=515734

thanks, and i need replys kinda FAST, im leaving soon
Last edited by cobain42 at Apr 14, 2008,
...Start from the top, and edit your post so I can understand it? There's something about mustaine and emgs, but I didn't follow the thread of your point, sorry dude.

(I'm not trying to be an asshole, I don't get what you're asking, I might if you rephrase! Thanks )
If you want a really heavy tone, get them. The coil tap is really great IMO, and the 89 is absolute over the top. That thing handles SO much gain and distortion, and yet it's clean, honestly, they are a really good set of pickups. The 81 CT actually produces some good cleans, but I imagine you're not really looking at cleans if you're looking at EMG's. If you want metal tone, and tap-able pickups, they're honestly the best way to go, IMO.
also i was thinkin about gettin them in white. would that look to weird? im putting them in an esp f 2e, check my review for a picture.
thanks. just to be sure how it will look, i know someone who can do photoshop.
Quote by cobain42
thanks. just to be sure how it will look, i know someone who can do photoshop.

That would be your best bet. That or maybe just cut some rough outlines out of a piece of paper that are pickup sized then lay them on there. IMO the white EMG's really don't look right at all, white covered pups just seem weird unless they're on something that they contrast or match with, like black or white, and even then, black = uber metal.
thanks, i never thought of that. oh and one more question, how clean is the coil tap? because emgs are known for having muddy cleans.
Quote by cobain42
thanks, i never thought of that. oh and one more question, how clean is the coil tap? because emgs are known for having muddy cleans.

It's ok. You'll have to fiddle with amp settings and everything to get it REALLY nice, but compared to the 81 normally, it sounds really clean lol.
thanks man youve been a lot of help. i dont know if anyones had experience with the stock pickups, emg-esp lh 301's,(passive). but if you have how about a comparison?
Last edited by cobain42 at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by cobain42
thanks man youve been a lot of help. i dont know if anyones had experience with the stock pickups, emg-esp lh 301's,(passive). but if you have how about a comparison?

If you're going to move to active EMG's, it will be almost like a whole new guitar. EMG's REALLY effect the tone, but I haven't played the stock one's personally (heard them tho).

If you want the EMG tone, really the only way to get it is to get EMG's. Active pickups (especially EMG's!!!) really dominate over tonewood, (there are some exceptions, the new blackouts really let the tonewood show, and they're active) so most EMG guitars sound pretty close to the same.
thanks man. ive pretty much looked at all the other alternatives, and it was either these or the mustaine signatures. and i just cant stand to leave that coil tapped tone, so i guess its gonna be theese.
Quote by cobain42
thanks man. ive pretty much looked at all the other alternatives, and it was either these or the mustaine signatures. and i just cant stand to leave that coil tapped tone, so i guess its gonna be theese.

Awesome man, I played the set on a Schecter Hellraiser, and even though I didn't like the neck and I'm not into trems much, they seriously made me consider the guitar. It's a really sweet set of pickups. Hope you enjoy them in the ESP, I think my next guitar will be an EC-1000, that has the 81/60 combo, really cannot wait to try it out!
If you want single coils in a guitar, try an HSS set of EMG's, with an 85 at the bridge, so you can split that too. I think.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you want single coils in a guitar, try an HSS set of EMG's, with an 85 at the bridge, so you can split that too. I think.

I didn't think they made an 85 with the coil tap option? I may be wrong, and if so I apologize, but I think currently the only EMG's with CT are the 81 and 89.
no, your right, you cant tap an 85. and my guitar is a HH configuration, the.spine.surfs. so thats a lot of strange, unneccesary routing.
I have owned both EMG 81TW and 89. You can get some amazing tones by tapping those pickups that most people wouldn't associate with EMG. I've the SD LiveWires can't do any clean tones because they are so high output. Go with the EMGs.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah