Hi !

I bought 1 year ago a Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe with noiseless pickups and a HotRod Deluxe tube amplifier with a TS9 tubescreamer. After 1 year I am rather disapointed by this gear as I would like the sound of Scott Henderson when he plays blues...

I would like to change my pickups with Texas Special Pickups of Fender ( SRV Strato model )or FL Shur ( Scott Henderson gear ). These pickups seems to have the same technology with reversed polarity for one of them. The price also is very similar. Someone has a clue about the possible differences?

Also my TS9 tubescreamer has a huge compression. I am looking for another overdrive that will fit with SRV texas sound! Does someone has a good suggestion?

Thanks a lot :-)
Have you tried cranking your Fender's clean channel and using your tubescreamer as a boost for the SRV type sound?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I think the Texas Specials would be good. Your Hotrod Dlx should do the job craked on the clean channel, or with a small amount of amp OD. A Boss Blues Driver probably would be better than the TS9 as a boost for a Texas Blues-type sound.
I've got the Texas Specials... very happy with them
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I'm very against the Texas Specials, they don't sound terrible but they make they claim that SRV overwound his pickups and that's very untrue, they were just standard strat pickups from whatever year, I can't remember.
Thank you guys for advises!... even if your point of view are all different :-(

I think that at least I need this reversed polarity pickups to have the typical sound I am looking for. My current pickups are not this kind.

Badoumba
I have a set for sale if you want them. I didn't even like 'em. SRV used a 59' with the bridge swapped for a neck and the Texas Specials don't even sound like 'em. Overpriced and overrated IMO.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I saw Texas Specials for $220 at Guitar Center, that's way, way too much. And as mentioned, the idea that SRV used Texas Specials or anything like them is pretty much just a lie. Also, a reverse wound pickup is not desired for vintage tone.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
The pickups provided by Suhr, FL to be said the ones that provide the SRV texas sound are also with reversed polarity for the middle... I thought it was the first condition to have this sound :-o

It seems that the last 2 posts are not following this idea. What's the real effect on the sound of this reversed middle pickup?

http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx
Last edited by badoumba at Apr 10, 2008,
i like the texas specials myself.... also about the tubescreameer check out cmatmods.com and www.buyanalogman.com analog man mods tubescreamers and cmatmods makes something called a tube slammer witch is pritty sweet...
before you go out buying new gear, try this first for the srv sound.

take your hot rod deluxe.
you turn your bass to 0-2 (try it out)
your scoop your mids. 0 !
you turn up your treble (7-10, try out and see what you like best but you need to have lots of treble)
keep the presence low (0-3, 0 is preffered)
add some reverb.
bright switch on.
get your TS9.
adjust the tone knob so your treble is unaffected by the pedal.
level up full.
gain way down.
get your strat.
try out different pickup positions, i use my middle/neck, and bridge position most for srv.
get some earplugs.
crank the bitch ! to the amount of breakup you want (i'm guessing this will be around 4, but see for yourself )

you should have a pretty darn srv-like sound like that.
That amount of treble with that little bass and mids on a hot rod would rip your eardrums out....
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Lindy Fralin blues specials and you will never look back. Check out a barber tone pump one of the nicest sounding 808's out there
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by badoumba
Thank you guys for advises!... even if your point of view are all different :-(

I think that at least I need this reversed polarity pickups to have the typical sound I am looking for. My current pickups are not this kind.

Badoumba

And...What exactly is it that you think "Reverse Polarity" pickups do?
Quote by timi_hendrix
That amount of treble with that little bass and mids on a hot rod would rip your eardrums out....

yes, without earplugs.

but i said: get some earplugs. cranking the amp without protecting your hearing would be stupid.

and a hot rod is a VERY bassy amp, especially cranked.
srv used blackface fender, they tend to have a quite 'scooped' midrange.
the hot rods are quite middy so you have to turn the mids down so you can use the ts9 properly. otherwise it'll become a boxy mess.
Quote by The red Strat.
yes, without earplugs.

but i said: get some earplugs. cranking the amp without protecting your hearing would be stupid.

and a hot rod is a VERY bassy amp, especially cranked.
srv used blackface fender, they tend to have a quite 'scooped' midrange.
the hot rods are quite middy so you have to turn the mids down so you can use the ts9 properly. otherwise it'll become a boxy mess.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Hot Rods aren't very middy at all, for a multitude of reasons:

1) 6L6 Tubes
2) Fender Tonestack
3) Mid-scooped speaker.

Additionally, boxiness =/= middiness. My VC30 Marshally clips in my profile were made with a British amp using EL84s, an EQ pedal and in the earlier one a Bad Monkey. Mids galore. Not boxy.
I think that the reversed polarity of the middle is for noise cancelling...
I am not as qualified as some of you guys. I wonder only what is the difference between these noisless pickups that I have in my USA Deluxe compare to vintage pickups that equiped SRV strats for example ( except the fact that there is less noise due to the double reversed wire inside ). Even if there is more noise, it's perhaps the solution to have the this sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF1p8sawWJ0

I bought a maple neck one to have more bright clean sound. I use my TS9 just to add a little cruch when strike louder the strings. But it's like if the TS9 provided a compression on the sound. I can't have this very francly attack that we can hear there :-)

So I wonder about pickups, and TS9!

Badoumba
The 13/64 strings that SRV used and the 12'' speakers of his amps are probably a great part of his sound!
in some live clips by stevie ray, you can hear the hum.

and my strat doesn't have an RWRP middle. its vintage specs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The String gauge certainly, but not so much the width of his speakers I would have thought. More the type of speakers he used..I don't know, but I would suspect Greenbacks?
^^he probably used stock fender cab ones... not greenbacks... maybe jensens.

^okey lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MrCarrot
Hot Rods aren't very middy at all, for a multitude of reasons:

1) 6L6 Tubes
2) Fender Tonestack
3) Mid-scooped speaker.

Additionally, boxiness =/= middiness. My VC30 Marshally clips in my profile were made with a British amp using EL84s, an EQ pedal and in the earlier one a Bad Monkey. Mids galore. Not boxy.

technically you're right.
but i meant they were quite middy compared to other fenders.

no, not necessarily, but in my experience, Hot Rod with mids turned up + TS808 = boxy.
find the thread about SRV and you'll get every answer with regards to settings of your amp and answers about the p/ups. the thread starts out as aguy providing a history of SRV then goes to arguments
Quote by ECistheBest
in some live clips by stevie ray, you can hear the hum.

and my strat doesn't have an RWRP middle. its vintage specs.

Nice, i have a reverse wound neck and middle pickup and the switch is wired so instead of activating the neck and middle at the same time, the neck and bridge are played together

However reversing the polarity doesn't affect the tone, it's meerly as a hum cancelling operation.

Look at Rock Monkey Pickups. Message Courdroy with what you want and he'll make you some trully amazing pickups.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by ECistheBest
^^he probably used stock fender cab ones... not greenbacks... maybe jensens.

^okey lol.

He used JBLs. 15"s and 10"s (Vibroverb+Super Reverb).

IMO his sound has much more to do with technique than gear. Especially the way he uses his picking hand.
There are so many variables that add up to SRV's sound that you really can't hope to achieve his exact tone (and shouldn't, anyway, if you want to be an individual). His pickups in Number One were from the late 50's or early 60's (made before 1964 in any case) and exactly what they was different about them is a subject of debate. The middle was certainly not reverse wound. On Texas Flood he used (mostly?) Vibroverbs with JBL speakers but they were highly modified, and in many cases he used different amps and combinations of different amps.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I was just looking for a way to have a more "agressive" sound, like in Live in Carnegie Hall. He has many trebbles and a kind of buzzing sound when plays louder. ( very relevant in Lenny, track 13) that I can't have with a TS9 I think.

The advises of The Red Strat improved my sound already. I have to use my TS9 as a boost more than an overdrive.

Does the height of strings is important? Is there a thread to give good advises to set the neck and pickups correctly?

Thanks

Badoumba
Last edited by badoumba at Apr 15, 2008,
SRV had his (formvar coil, '59 specs, heavily degaussed Alnico V polepieces) pickups set very low, and his often very heavy gauge string rather high action-wise, although on later tracks such as Lenny he used down to even 10s or so.